Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 03:27 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
The Puritans didn't celebrate Christmas. I'm not sure they celebrated Easter either. Jehovah's Witnesses don't celebrate either one.
to be precise?

there must have been a difference between "observation" and "celebration".

as far as jehovah's witnesses are informing me, the do observe the passion of christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 08:43 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,349,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
You never answered the problem about Christmas and Easter, using the words when they are not in the bible. You are very good at ignoring what you do not want acknowledge.
I'm not Shalom, but here's my opinion. Christmas and Easter are man made holidays, and should not be celebrated as religious holidays.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:54 AM

192 posts, read 215,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Well it certainly does not say that a Pastor is a church leader , just because you are a shepherd certainly does not make you a sole leader of any church , which seems to be the case within the church system .

Every part of the body should functionional and ministering to one another and building one and other up in the faith.

None of the epistles were addressed to Pastors but to the saints .

I believe in leadership but i certainly do not believe in leadership being left in the hands of one man .
A leader functions in various ways, not always as a dictator. Even if the leadership is by one man, it doesn't automatically follow that it is a dictatorship. This is why there are elders and deacons. Having a leader in no way impedes the ability of the body as you have described it. In fact, you might say a good leader helps the body more effectively function.

The epistles were written by men who were leaders and preachers in their time. This might suggest the saints are led by these teachings of a few; leaders.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I'm not Shalom, but here's my opinion. Christmas and Easter are man made holidays, and should not be celebrated as religious holidays.
Nothing wrong with man choosing to celebrate some aspect of God by way of a special day, a holiday. How it is celebrated or whether it is celebrated is up to each one of us.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Man View Post
Nothing wrong with man choosing to celebrate some aspect of God by way of a special day, a holiday. How it is celebrated or whether it is celebrated is up to each one of us.
You're entitled to your opinion just as I am.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
You're entitled to your opinion just as I am.
I agree. I wasn't telling you whether you should or shouldn't celebrate either holiday.

Your opinion however, was to say how everyone should or shouldn't celebrate Christmas and Easter. Please don't be offended just because I didn't agree with that perspective.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:36 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,499,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144
You never answered the problem about Christmas and Easter, using the words when they are not in the bible. You are very good at ignoring what you do not want acknowledge.

What am I ignoring? What about Christmas and Easter?
When did I ever bring them up and for what ????

Ok, I will try it one more time. Sigh. By your argument Christmas and Easter and Trinity are not words we find in the bible so that invalidates them? Your point about the word Pope is in the same category.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Man View Post
I agree. I wasn't telling you whether you should or shouldn't celebrate either holiday.

Your opinion however, was to say how everyone should or shouldn't celebrate Christmas and Easter. Please don't be offended just because I didn't agree with that perspective.
No offense taken!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity