Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 04:15 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
There is more to it than this one verse. As usual b57, you are misrepresenting the text.

John 10:14 "I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me—
15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep.
16 I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.
17 The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again.
18No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father."

Furthermore:

John 12:30 Jesus answered and said, `Not because of me hath this voice come, but because of you; 31 now is a judgment of this world, now shall the ruler of this world be cast forth;
32 and I, if I may be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto myself.'
33 And this he said signifying by what death he was about to die;
You reckon He was speaking to the Jews and was referenceing the Gentiles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 05:57 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,696,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
You reckon He was speaking to the Jews and was referenceing the Gentiles?
Yup.....that would be true! At least in my Bible......

Old 11-21-2009, 06:11 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
Its not up to people to get to know anything about God..Its up to God to reveal Himself to whomever He pleases..
To the contrary. That kind of thinking is literally straight from Satan himself. The devil opposes knowledge of God, as it is his objective to deceive the world concerning the truth which pertains to God and for the purpose of our existence on this earth. The reason God leaves the believer on earth after salvation is for the very purpose of the believer making an effort to learn about God and about His plan. God doesn't just reveal Himself out of the blue. Now, for the unbeliever, the issue is in making a decision for or against Christ at Gospel hearing. But, for the believer after salvation, the issue is exposing yourself to the teaching of the word of God for the purpose of the attainment of spiritual maturity.

The Holy Spirit is the true mentor, and makes the Word of God understandable to those who are listening to Bible teaching. He doesn't pick and choose to reveal Himself to whomever He pleases. We have in writing in the Word of God, commands to grow up spiritually through the inculcation of Bible doctrine.

2 Peter 3:16 ''As also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction. 17) You therefore beloved, knowng this before hand, be on your guard lest, being carried away by the error of unprincipled men, you fall away from your own steadfastness, 18) but grow in the grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17) that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

Jeremiah 29:13 ''And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.

Hosea 6:6 For I delight in loyalty rather than sacrifice, And in the knowledge of God rather than in burnt offerings.

Proverbs 10:14 Wise men store up knowledge, But with the mouth of the foolish, ruin is at hand.

Proverbs 23:12 Apply your heart to discipline, And your ears to words of knowledge.

This is the purpose of your continued life on this earth after salvation. To obey the commands of the Lord to grow up into the full measure of spiritual maturity through the learning and understanding of the entire realm of Bible doctrine, and then applying that knowledge to the circumstances of your life. It is entirely up to you to get to know everything about God that He has made available in His written word. It is through an increasing knowledge of God that your relationship with God deepens.

Matthew 11:15 ''He who has ears to hear, let him hear.''

And to head off any of the critics who charge 'Phariseeism', this is not an issue of knowledge versus love. It is through an increasing knowledge of God that your love for God grows.

Last edited by Michael Way; 11-21-2009 at 06:39 AM..

Old 11-22-2009, 06:13 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
The Gospel according to Jesus is according to some Preachers for the Jews only, and Pauls Gospel is for the church. What Jesus said is rejected or of small importance compared to Pauls words. What is very rarely preached is that Jesus Preached of Holy Spirit. He rarly taught on Holy Spirit except for the seed faith parable, when he gave Holy Spirit revelation. He taught on the rules to get along and have faith and laws of Holy Spirit though out his ministries, he also prophecied words recorded for the word. Paul ministries was to apostrophe the small church of the beginning of Jesus church. The corinthinans church the people were carnal chistians and many customs were not of the church of Jesus and so rules for some Churches today are not of the church of Jesus, but the frills of taking the word of God as literal law. Jesus do not say any thing against unless we do not get along.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:34 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,767,470 times
Default Words are all we have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Agreed, but if the people would just take the time to get to know what the blessings were all about, and what it was He was trying to say, then the rest would follow. ALL of His Words were the gospel, but this is how it started, and for myself, was the most profound.

Like are there cursings for those who were the opposite? Take the first for example:

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Could it be read opposite like?:

Cursed are the rich in the flesh, for theirs is the kingdom of the world.

Well, we know what Jesus said concerning the rich, and how hard it would be.

The word the word spirit. In context what was the Master saying, what did he mean by poor in spirit.... was it meek, considerate, sociable, like a good neighbor?.

And the Kingdom of this World?

This is not Science as taught and understood by the world...

The world of science changes as the truth is discovered. I have observe many scientific men disdain the idea of God... and later as they died sometimes speak of a Master Design in the universe. This is not proof (as it is considered in science) the the word in the Bible are true or accurate. But it does not contradict what I read in

John 1:1 1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was in the beginning with God. 3All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. 4In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. 5The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity