U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-01-2009, 11:16 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 11,899,766 times
Reputation: 744

Advertisements

LOL.....errrrr....I mean God loves the sinner but hates the sin

I have been hearing this a lot on this forum, even though I believe God is love so I am not trying to say God is not something that He is but where in the world did you get the concept that "God loves the sinner but hates the sin?" I mean let's use scripture honestly and accurately so we are not lying to people on these boards who don't know any better. Just what verse is that?

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 07-01-2009 at 11:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2009, 11:19 AM
 
17,968 posts, read 11,326,663 times
Reputation: 987
As usual you turned the thought around. It is not "God loves the sin but hates the sinner" but "God loves the sinner but hates the sin."

Check out John 3:16 for starters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2009, 11:20 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 11,899,766 times
Reputation: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
As usual you turned the thought around. It is not "God loves the sin but hates the sinner" but "God loves the sinner but hates the sin."
LOL....Sorry...my bad but where is that verse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2009, 11:21 AM
 
Location: God's Country
20,986 posts, read 28,126,273 times
Reputation: 29257
It's pretty clear John 3:16 says He loves the whole world and if you wonder if He hates sin........look at the price He paid.........the cross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2009, 11:22 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 11,899,766 times
Reputation: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
It's pretty clear John 3:16 says He loves the whole world and if you wonder if He hates sin........look at the price He paid.........the cross.
but where does it say that in the bible, God loves the sinner but hates the sin?

(Psalm 5:4–6)
4 You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil; with you the wicked cannot dwell. 5 The arrogant cannot stand in your presence; you hate all who do wrong.
6 You destroy those who tell lies; bloodthirsty and deceitful men the Lord abhors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2009, 11:33 AM
 
Location: God's Country
20,986 posts, read 28,126,273 times
Reputation: 29257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
but where does it say that in the bible, God loves the sinner but hates the sin?

(Psalm 5:46)
4 You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil; with you the wicked cannot dwell. 5 The arrogant cannot stand in your presence; you hate all who do wrong.
6 You destroy those who tell lies; bloodthirsty and deceitful men the Lord abhors.
Well if you don't understand that after reading John 3:16, I don't know what to tell you. God is justifiably angry at sinners, they (we) have rebelled against Him, but God declares Jesus' death to be the appropriate sacrifice for sins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2009, 11:37 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 11,899,766 times
Reputation: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Well if you don't understand that after reading John 3:16, I don't know what to tell you. God is justifiably angry at sinners, they (we) have rebelled against Him, but God declares Jesus' death to be the appropriate sacrifice for sins.
North Carolina I can't base an attribute of God on one verse in the bible? and that is not what John 3:16 says, God is still angry and that anger was poured on Jesus. The anger didn't go away; it was transferred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2009, 11:46 AM
 
Location: God's Country
20,986 posts, read 28,126,273 times
Reputation: 29257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
North Carolina I can't base an attribute of God on one verse in the bible? and that is not what John 3:16 says, God is still angry and that anger was poured on Jesus. The anger didn't go away; it was transferred.
Well it's all through out the Bible that God loves us. And yes that is what John 3:16 says " For so LOVED THE WORLD that He gave His only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life"
Yes God still hates sin, but because of Jesus we don't have to face the wrath of God.
1 John 3:1 "See how very much our Heavenly Father loves us, for He allows us to be called His children, and we really are. But the people who belong to this world don't know God, so they don't understand that we are His children".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2009, 11:49 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 11,899,766 times
Reputation: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Well it's all through out the Bible that God loves us. And yes that is what John 3:16 says " For so LOVED THE WORLD that He gave His only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life"
Yes God still hates sin, but because of Jesus we don't have to face the wrath of God.
1 John 3:1 "See how very much our Heavenly Father loves us, for He allows us to be called His children, and we really are. But the people who belong to this world don't know God, so they don't understand that we are His children".
Not really, only when we are doing good. I believe God has a genuine universal love for everyone BUT there are many verses that God hates those who do evil furthermore His wrath remains on anyone who is not covered by the blood of Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2009, 11:55 AM
 
Location: East Coast
27,108 posts, read 17,886,735 times
Reputation: 1873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
North Carolina I can't base an attribute of God on one verse in the bible? and that is not what John 3:16 says, God is still angry and that anger was poured on Jesus. The anger didn't go away; it was transferred.
Listen to the words Fundy


YouTube - Foothill Community Church - Here Is Love
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top