U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 09:42 AM

3,525 posts, read 5,806,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Contention is of the devil and I don't think that anyone who engages in that is acting very Christlike. That said I do think some Christians including myself are getting a little ticked off at the extremes about not liking Christians. With one exception every Christian I've met on this board has been very courteous and kind and not pushy at all. I have never encountered a pushy, in your face Christian in my life.

But what you have to understand is that those views are being shared by people who do not agree with the Christian viewpoints. It is their perception of us. It is how they view us.

This is the entire point of the thread, is to learn what we're doing in this forum and in RL. It's okay to disagree with their POV, but let's not use this thread to disagree with what anyone is sharing. I want to be more respectful and understanding of others POV. I will still stand strong to my beliefs and convictions, but I want to know how they feel, why they feel and what we're doing to make them mad.

Please everyone continue to post, and please remember the first questions I asked in the OP. So far I've seen some great answers! Thank you for your honest and forthright responses.

Last edited by Hoosier; 04-19-2007 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: quotes

Old 04-19-2007, 10:12 AM

1,921 posts, read 3,914,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike1611 View Post
So...I'm not saying that this would happen to all of you, but I AM saying that the over-saturation reason is a bit recycled at this point. Give me some theological reasons. Give me some researched reasons. Give me truth.
Allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment, and ask this. Why do other folks have to give Christians any reason besides "the over-saturation"? Why insist that they must give Christians "some theological reasons", (and this could be from a totally different theological standpoint, that wouldn't be agreed with, or accepted). Or "researched reasons", (this could be from a scientific viewpoint. Will that be accepted, and Christians move on?). Why do they have to explain themselves at all? And, the "truth"? Who's truth? Everyone believes they have a monoply on the truth, in some way or another. Isn't the fact that they don't want Christians to bother them enough? I'm not talking about a nativity scene on public land, or asking friend to church once or twice, or any of the other generalized ways that Christianity makes itself known in society. People can hear about it on the radio, they can learn about it on tv, (albeit, that may not be the best way), they can go to any church of their choosing, they can go to any bookstore, and buy a Bible to read. Shoot, they can even go online to read it, nowadays. But, when folks insist on battering other people, that's where the line must be drawn. And, I'm not saying all Christians go overboard, but let's face it, many of them feel compelled to keep on wittnessing, no matter what.

Think about it, from another point of view. What if alot, (for saturation's sake ), of Muslims wanted to share their beliefs with everyone? What if they handed out tracts, on the streets, in the parks, on the bus, in the restaurants, etc.? What if they came to everyone's door, constantly, begging them to take their materials, come to worship, talk about their salvation, "accept Allah, or else"? What if they stood on street corners, with a Koran big enough to choke a horse with, and yelled, shouted, and screamed their scripture at drivers? (By the way, this happens in Pensacola. There's a group of Christians there, that do this. I'm sure it doesn't go on everywhere). Add to this, all of radio, tv, and the thousand of mosques, (remember, this is an example), and perhaps Christians would feel the same way, about being barraged and overwhelmed.

I'm not saying that Christians should not talk about their beliefs; everyone should be allowed to share with other folks, (we do have freedom of speech), although this is probably more effective one-on-one, with someone who is truly interested. The question is, how far should they go? When do they realize that when someone says, "Enough, leave me alone", then maybe they should do just that, and be respectful of people's choices whether they agree with them, or not. Obviously, not everyone will agree with my conjecture, but that's how I see it.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:17 PM

11,270 posts, read 9,697,187 times
Born again religions seem to appeal to people who have "hit bottom." Many followers speak about the terrible lives they led prior to being born again. Prisoners on death row also seem to subscribe to the born again religious belief. So perhaps the "target market" for witnessing is for one whose life is filled with much sorrow and pain, not your average next door neighbor.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:43 PM

3,042 posts, read 6,088,007 times
Actually the gospels are for all, Jesus died for all human kind as we all sinners in need of a savior. Those who are broken, beaten, recognize they cannot do it on their own is all of us, but yes people who reject him do so because they think they dont need God but rather can do it on their own.

But the creator created us we did not do it on our own, Satan tempted us, we did not do it on our own, we sinned and are fallen. But only Jesus can make us whole again.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:51 PM

2,798 posts, read 6,836,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post

.....What if they stood on street corners, with a Koran big enough to choke a horse with, and yelled, shouted, and screamed their scripture at drivers? (By the way, this happens in Pensacola. There's a group of Christians there, that do this. I'm sure it doesn't go on everywhere). Add to this, all of radio, tv, and the thousand of mosques, (remember, this is an example), and perhaps Christians would feel the same way, about being barraged and overwhelmed.
We have ONE church here that does this. It's really kind of funny the way different CHRISTIANS have differeing opinions about it! They stand on the corner of the busiest intersection. They scared the crap out of me once. I was just sitting there in my car and suddenly they started yelling and holding up theirs signs say "repent or burn eternally". This is the ONE church here in our area, that people that DO NOT belong to, all talk about how strange they are.
I, personally (and some others I know) HATE IT when they do that. It does nothing more than push people AWAY! What Christians and Non-Chrstians need to understand is the "human relex". No matter what it is, if someone starts pushing somthing in your face you are going to be offended and your relex is going to be to turn the other way and RUN!
On the other hand, some other Christians (including SOME not all church leaders) think they are going about it the wrong way but admire them for their attempt to witness etc. I told our pastor (which admired what they do but don't agree with the way they do it) that being the "Christian" that he is, he should talk to the other church's pastor...just nice friendly chat...and explain what others think and perhaps try to get him to understand that it has the opposite effect of what they are trying to get!
He said he would never do that. I didn't think he would, it was more just a joke...LMBO

Old 04-19-2007, 01:06 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,562,659 times
I totally agree that there are too many pushy, hypocritical people out there that give Christians a bad name. The only problem I have is that it seems like many non-Christians group us all together and use that as an excuse not to like Christians. There are groups that have fanatical people and I don't appreciate their behaviour but that doees not mean I judge the whole group based on a few fanatics.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:21 PM

1,921 posts, read 3,914,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
We have ONE church here that does this. It's really kind of funny the way different CHRISTIANS have differeing opinions about it! They stand on the corner of the busiest intersection. They scared the crap out of me once. I was just sitting there in my car and suddenly they started yelling and holding up theirs signs say "repent or burn eternally". This is the ONE church here in our area, that people that DO NOT belong to, all talk about how strange they are.
I, personally (and some others I know) HATE IT when they do that. It does nothing more than push people AWAY! What Christians and Non-Chrstians need to understand is the "human relex". No matter what it is, if someone starts pushing somthing in your face you are going to be offended and your relex is going to be to turn the other way and RUN!
On the other hand, some other Christians (including SOME not all church leaders) think they are going about it the wrong way but admire them for their attempt to witness etc. I told our pastor (which admired what they do but don't agree with the way they do it) that being the "Christian" that he is, he should talk to the other church's pastor...just nice friendly chat...and explain what others think and perhaps try to get him to understand that it has the opposite effect of what they are trying to get!
He said he would never do that. I didn't think he would, it was more just a joke...LMBO
Ahh, so you've experienced this as well. I know it is one of the more extreme examples of how some Christians wittness, but it does occur. I suppose many of them mean well, but doesn't it seem as though they should read the Bible a little more closely? Other than chasing the moneylenders out of the temple, (and, I don't recall him yelling and screaming, although he did use that whip pretty effectively Who says Jesus was a meek and mild wimp? ), I can't think of an incident where Jesus got in people's faces. They came to him, because they wanted to hear what he had to say. Shoudn't a Christian's wittness be such that, by the life they live, folks can see there is something different, and they will come to that Christian to find out what it's all about? A quiet wittness, if you will. When I was in the church, (and I was active in it all my life, up until a few years ago), I saw some examples of that. My aunt is one of those types of people. Not that she won't tell you what she believes, should you ask, but you would be more likely to see it in her life, not have her chase you down, so to speak.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:28 PM

1,393 posts, read 130,551 times
I agree with dreameyes & Kawgpz550 you both make good points!! Kawgpz550 tell your pastor it's a tough call but someone needs too pave the path and get Christianity straightened out so they can bring more not bring less to the church. It is the pushy ways that turn people off as a Christian I don't even like it.
I think if Christians could learn to be seed planters and let the Holy Spirit do the rest we would be better off!!

But I have seen pushy non-believers who assume when they ask a question you are trying to convert them, instead of realizing your just answering the question!!!

Some just think Christians are out to "GET THEM".

I would say the ones that don't leave your door when asked, or tell you that your going to HELL and they don't know you,or the ones in the streets preaching Hell and Brimstone are the ones that have no respect for others beliefs not just the typical Christian!!

Old 04-19-2007, 04:40 PM

25,510 posts, read 11,596,982 times
Default I can only half way stand up, but I am trying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXOR View Post
That is how most I know in real life and on forums act.

One of my good friends, his dad is the hardest of hardcore Christians but he is actually a kind and understanding man. He is one of the very few I've met.
I found someone who LIVED like a christian, and never preached to me. It was through his life that I decided to become a christian.

So, my input is far greater good comes from walking the walk, than talking the talk.

I have probably met maybe 5 or 6 people in my entire life that I feel fall into this category. Most of us strive to be an example and few actually attain it. Of course, I am not in that few, I am one of those who strive.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:49 PM

2,798 posts, read 6,836,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
I found someone who LIVED like a christian, and never preached to me. It was through his life that I decided to become a christian.

So, my input is far greater good comes from walking the walk, than talking the talk.

I have probably met maybe 5 or 6 people in my entire life that I feel fall into this category. Most of us strive to be an example and few actually attain it. Of course, I am not in that few, I am one of those who strive.
Great post! You are 100% correct!!!!!
While I do believe in witnessing, I feel that we have to pick the right time to witness to the right people. I do not feel we should go out banging people over the head with a Bible. That only turns them away which is not our goal.
All of us Christians really need to understand that our EXAMPLE speaks MUCH louder than any words ever possibly could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity