Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 08:20 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times

Advertisements

Pianogal, you are the perfect example why ,as a christian, I don't hate non christians. The most important thing about christianity is love, I wish they would all get it..

Old 04-29-2007, 09:14 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Pianogal, you are the perfect example why ,as a christian, I don't hate non christians. The most important thing about christianity is love, I wish they would all get it..
True...Blue! (oops...that made a little joke!)

Unfortunately, not even all of us "Christians" get it. Sometimes I look back on how I reacted on occaision or what I said to someone out of frustration or anger and I'm ashamed. It is always my desire to walk in love, but I've still got a long way to go.

Have a blessed evening...

Old 05-10-2007, 08:58 PM

923 posts, read 3,513,393 times
Wink I love Pie...

With a nice cup of Joe...

Old 05-10-2007, 09:05 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Right behind you Carolina. I may be leaning just a little, waiting for judgement day, when the only judge will tell me how good a christian I was.
I think all that have come in here are true christians we may have different thought processes but the one thing is clear
we know who our savior is
we will not falter from Him, the truth, or the word
and we know we are loved by Him

kinda like the Breakfast club of religion in here

Disclosure-All does not include those who have said they are not christians and those who said they are atheists or agnostics

Old 05-10-2007, 11:59 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
Let me preface this by saying I got married in a Catholic church and one of my bridesmaids was Christian as are many of my friends so I have no personal animosity towards Chrisitans. I have nothing against Jesus nor the Bible nor God. My views are my own, based on personal experiences.

Dislike #1 - How I am judged before you even get to know me.

Example: When I first met my SIL before Dh & I married, I was judged from day one. She was a kind of "Jesus Freak" at the time, living in a Christian "compound" of sorts. It was the same place she graduated from high school. Her mother had sent her there her senior year because she was a drug addict.

My husband (boyfriend at the time) asked that I keep an open mind before I met her. She was pretty much addicted to God now instead of drugs (his words not mine). I just thought, "Hey, better be it God than drugs!"

So I kept an open mind, knowing her drug history and problems, but within the first hour she met me, she asked, "Do you believe in Jesus Christ as your Saviour?" I wanted to ask her, "WTF are you talking about?! You've known me for an hour and you want to interrogate my beliefs?!" but instead, I kindly told her that I believed in Jesus and God and that was about it. She gave me this look of disdain. I never had much of a relationship with her since. She always talked down to me like I wasn't good enough to be in her presence.

That was ... 8 years ago probably. Today, the whole family thinks she's back on drugs (she doesn't live at the "compound" anymore). She uses her entire family for her own personal gain and cares nothing for them. She is selfish and uncaring. I would give examples but I feel bad enough saying negative things about her because honestly, I feel sorry for her. She is spiraling out of control and I think either a.) she'll die from an overdose, or b.) she'll end up in jail, or c.) (worst-case scenario IMO) she'll live a long fruitful life on drugs and my husband and I will have the burden to take care of her because she never took steps to take care of her health (she has multiple sclerosis).

Dislike #2 - How hypocritical Christians can sometimes be.

Example: Nothing in particular, everything in general. How the Bible is taken so literally in some respects but not in others. How people like Jesse Jackson & Al Sharpton can stand in public and talk about how friggin' moral they are when they themselves have had very public immoral issues unveil. How I've seen friends ruin friendships by backstabbing or talking behind each other's backs but when I see them in their church setting, they are completely different. How utterly disgusted I get seeing Benny Hinn on tv and his trickeries. How people like John Edwards say Americans don't donate enough money when there he is getting multiple $200 haircuts. I'm sorry but I have to worry about saving for a down payment to even afford a home Mr.I'm-getting-a-ginormous-home-built-worth-millions-of-dollars. I wonder how much people like Joel Osteen in his mammoth Lakewood Church pocket from the millions of dollars in proceeds they get selling their products.

Like - How many and most are family oriented.

Example: Living in upstate NY, we became good friends with a Mormon family. I consider them Christian so please don't give me grief about this example. They were about the nicest people we ever met. No, for you skeptics out there, their religion was never forced upon us or anything like that. We became very fond of their youngest, a 10 y/o, who had a host of health problems. I think by the time he was 8 he had a kidney transplant, liver transplant, intestine transplant and a host of other health problems but the kid was as happy as can be. When we hung out with them, it was like picturing how my husband and I would want to raise our kids. The daughter was a firecracker but she respected her parents. They were two of the most amazing kids and the parents taught them tolerance and love. I truly enjoyed the family's company.

Final thoughts: I try not to judge so what I have written today I hope I am not judged myself. In all honesty, I don't care what religion you are as long as you are a good, decent human being, that's all that matters to me. We should all be so lucky as to live in happy homes and have good neighbors and good conversation.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:07 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,039 times
First let me say that I was raised as an Adventist so that is my experience with Christians...what I am saying here might not be typical of other groups of Christians...

1. I dislike the need to be controlling and judgemental of other people who do not live their life in the way the Christian thinks they should...

2. I dislike the need for all the rules, like god, if he exists expects us to jump through hoops like some kind of trained dogs...I want to wear make up and jewelry then I am going to, if I want to dance then I am going to, if I want to listen to secular music on the sabbath then I am going to...you get the general idea...

Things I LIKE about Christians...

well...they are predictable...does that count as a good thing??

Old 05-11-2007, 05:10 AM

954 posts, read 813,329 times
What I don't like about Christians:

1. This (from an earlier post).
"If so many people are insulted by these christian posts why do they keep it going. It's not like we are in their face at their front door. Some posters seem so mad, I can almost see the foaming mouths. Personally, I think these people are being torn between the truth and what the devil wants them to believe.
....................their arrogance that they know "the truth" and because we don't agree with them, we are 'blinded by Satan'. The fact is Christians, you don't know it's true....it's only what you believe.

2. The fact that I am constantly told that my life is worthless and meaningless and that I am 'lost' because I haven't accepted their man-god as my 'saviour'.

What I do like about Christians:
They make me laugh!!

Old 05-11-2007, 06:04 AM

646 posts, read 1,610,641 times
Dislike #1.

Christians that try to enforce their morality upon the rest of society. Examples would be christians trying to limit abortion rights, spearheading abstinence-ONLY sex education, a variety of blue laws, resistence to same-sex marriage, prayer in schools.

Dislike #2.

The poor critical thinking abilities displayed by the most fundamental christians. They can believe the most bizarre things such as a world wide flood or a literal 7 day creation, you can prove them wrong on those very particular points, and they cannot understand.

Most devout christians tend to try to do the honest and correct thing.

Disclaimer

Both my likes and dislikes would apply to christians as well as non-christian theists, and atheists as well.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:16 AM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
First let me say that I was raised as an Adventist so that is my experience with Christians...what I am saying here might not be typical of other groups of Christians...

1. I dislike the need to be controlling and judgemental of other people who do not live their life in the way the Christian thinks they should...

2. I dislike the need for all the rules, like god, if he exists expects us to jump through hoops like some kind of trained dogs...I want to wear make up and jewelry then I am going to, if I want to dance then I am going to, if I want to listen to secular music on the sabbath then I am going to...you get the general idea...

Things I LIKE about Christians...

well...they are predictable...does that count as a good thing??
Hey I'm a Christian and I agree with your dislikes. I think far too many Christians and non Christians are controlling and judgmental. And I don't think God wants us to jump through hoops, all He wants is for us to love Him. And I wear makeup, jewelry (I love jewelry ) and I listen to secular music even on Sunday too.

Sometimes I wish Christians were more predictable.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:16 PM

246 posts, read 649,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Hey I'm a Christian and I agree with your dislikes. I think far too many Christians and non Christians are controlling and judgmental. And I don't think God wants us to jump through hoops, all He wants is for us to love Him. And I wear makeup, jewelry (I love jewelry ) and I listen to secular music even on Sunday too.

Sometimes I wish Christians were more predictable.
I'd second that (except I don't listen to secualr music, much, but that's my choosing and I don't put that onto others.)

Whew - you said, INLC, we should be more predictable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity