U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 08:42 AM

1,864 posts, read 2,806,166 times

Advertisements

How do you pray? I don't mean, "please tell me how to pray," I mean, how do you, yourself, pray?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 08:44 AM

2,529 posts, read 2,633,511 times
To the Father, in Jesus' name, whenever I feel the need to talk to Him.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:14 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,953,640 times
i talk to God/Jesus daily in my mind and heart--He is ever in my thoughts--so i could say i pray daily----informally

Old 07-06-2009, 10:18 AM

34,199 posts, read 11,418,346 times
I believe that service is a prayer.... when I am doing something to help others and relieve suffering.....or to brighten someone else's life.....I believe God receives that as a prayer. I also believe that service to the earth is a prayer....so living green....being respectful of all the plant and animal manifestations of God and appreciating the beauty of the earth....that is a prayer......There are also times when I feel the presence of God around me.....so being still and listening.....that is a prayer. Sometimes I speak to the close and holy presence of God, with special intentions on my heart.....another prayer.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
There are also times when I feel the presence of God around me.....so being still and listening.....that is a prayer.
Yes. And if we do not be still, if we do not be quiet, and listen, how will we hear Him?

Old 07-06-2009, 11:22 AM

173 posts, read 202,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
How do you pray? I don't mean, "please tell me how to pray," I mean, how do you, yourself, pray?
Exactly as the Bible says - in Jesus' name :-

Matthew 6:6
But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.

Matthew 6:9
In this manner, therefore, pray: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name.

John 14:13
And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

John 14:14
If you ask anything in My name, I will do it.

John 15:16
You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you.

John 16:23
And in that day you will ask Me nothing. Most assuredly, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in My name He will give you.

John 16:24
Until now you have asked nothing in My name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.

John 16:26
In that day you will ask in My name, and I do not say to you that I shall pray the Father for you;

Old 07-06-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShalomPeace View Post
Exactly as the Bible says - in Jesus' name :-

Matthew 6:6
But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.

Matthew 6:9
In this manner, therefore, pray: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name.

John 14:13
And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

John 14:14
If you ask anything in My name, I will do it.

John 15:16
You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you.

John 16:23
And in that day you will ask Me nothing. Most assuredly, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in My name He will give you.

John 16:24
Until now you have asked nothing in My name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.

John 16:26
In that day you will ask in My name, and I do not say to you that I shall pray the Father for you;
Thank you but, I have a Bible.

That isn't what I was asking.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:48 AM

173 posts, read 202,215 times
Quote:
Thank you but, I have a Bible.

That isn't what I was asking.

What exactly are you asking then?

Old 07-06-2009, 12:35 PM

19,022 posts, read 14,484,148 times
Quote:
I have prayed pretty much every random hour and every random place in times of trouble, Sundance

There is no rule book to stipulate how you have to communicate with the Almighty.

Mostly it's simple self-murmur.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:03 PM

34,199 posts, read 11,418,346 times
Default Service is my prayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShalomPeace View Post
Umm , excuse me .... can I know which cult .... oh I mean, which religion teaches these? .....
My religion (please note: it is not a cult) is the Unitarian Universalist Church of America. In our hymnal there is a covenent that I grew up reciting on Sunday morning.

"Love is the doctrine of this church,
The quest of truth is its sacrament,
And service is its prayer.
To dwell together in peace,
To seek knowledge in freedom,
To serve human need,
To the end that all souls shall grow into harmony with the Divine—
Thus do we covenant with each other and with God."
--L. Griswold Williams

When I read the OP asking "how do you pray?", that part of my religious up-bringing came to me.

Your religion may teach you to be hostile and sarcastic....and to ridicule the way other people find their way to the one God....my teaches love and service and awe.

Shalom, Salaam, Peace, Namaste
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity