Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 11:49 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,391,374 times

Advertisements

mk 1:5

And there went out unto him all the land of Judaea, and they of Jerusalem, and were all baptized of him in the river of Jordan, confessing their sins.

lk 3:

And as the people were in expectation, and all men mused in their hearts of John, whether he were the Christ, or not;

jn 3:
26And they came unto John, and said unto him, Rabbi, he that was with thee beyond Jordan, to whom thou barest witness, behold, the same baptizeth, and all men come to him

jn 8:

2And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them.

acts 22:

15For thou shalt be his witness unto all [pas] men of what thou hast seen and heard.

For I am quite sure paul was not a witness to every single man in the then known world !! But He did witness to all different sorts and or classes of men:

1 cor 9:

19For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.

20And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;

21To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.
22To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

when paul was made all [pas] things to all men, does that mean he was made a fornicator to win fornicators ? of course not..

2 cor 3:

2Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:

Were the corinthians in a place where all men of the world came by and read them ?

In none of the above has all the meaning of unlimited scopage.. In these verses the general term have a relative meaning.

For the most part in the bible the word all is used in two ways, all without exception, and all without distinction, which is the more general in Holy Writ, which means all classes and kinds, the old, the young, men / women, poor or rich, educated or uneducated, bond or free, jew or gentile, black or white..men or people of all nations..

At times the word all refers strictly to believers in christ as in 1 cor 15:

22For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

2 cor 5:

14For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead: 15And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.

But many are very flippant and careless in discerning and determining this usage by God of the word all..

Old 07-07-2009, 11:58 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,975 times
Usually disputes over "ALL" are strawmen. If I say "All means All" it is true that we have to find the context for the passage.

The reason that it is a strawman is that the careless use of the word still does not prevent 1 Timothy 2:4 from being seen as every single human being.

So, it is good that we instruct to gain a more sound pattern of words, but it is not a doctrine breaker from any point of view.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:01 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,526 times
well all is sometimes used as a hyperbole, but that does not mean that all is never meant literal, otherwise you couldn't claim that all men are sinners also; this argument is the most common and it holds no water in my view, well we can begin to redefine a language and to rewrite the bible, but such discussion is a fruitless and vain work.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:22 PM

12 posts, read 18,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
At times the word all refers strictly to believers in christ as in 1 cor 15:

22For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
For as in Adam some die, so also in Christ some shall be made alive. But each in his own order; Christ the first fruits, after that those who are Christ's at His coming, then comes the end, when He delivers up the kingdom to the God and Father, when He has abolished some rule and some authority and power.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:45 PM

12 posts, read 18,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
But many are very flippant and careless in discerning and determining this usage by God of the word all..
#1 -Rom. 11:36

"From Him everything comes, through Him everything exists and in Him everything ends."

Ta pavnte= the all things.

Ta pavnte = in the absolute sense of the whole of creation, the universe. Of everything in heaven and earth that is in need of uniting and redeeming. From Him ta pavnte comes, through Him ta pavnte exists, and in Him ta pavnte ends.

#2. -Eph. 1:-

"He has made known to us the secret of His will. And this is in harmony with God's merciful purpose for the government of the world when the times are ripe for it--the purpose which He has cherished in His own mind of restoring the whole creation to find its one Head in Christ; yes, things in heaven and things on earth, to find their one Head in Him. And you too, who in Him were made heirs, having been chosen beforehand in accordance with the intention of Him whose might carries out in everything the design of His own will."

The all things in the heavens, the all things in the earth, and you who once were dead in trespasses and sins. That in the dispensation of the fulness of times He might gather together in one, the ta pavnte en/in Christ.

Ta pavnte = in the absolute sense of the whole of creation, the universe. Of everything in heaven and earth that is in need of uniting and redeeming.

#3 -Col. 1:20

"God purposed through Him to reconcile the universe to Himself, making peace through His blood...to reconcile to Himself through Him, I say, things on earth and things in heaven. And you..."

The all things (the ta pavnte) in the heavens, the all things (the ta pavnte) in the earth, and you who once were dead in trespasses and sins. God has purposed to reconcile the universe (the ta pavnte) to Himself. The ta pavnte/ the all, encompasses the ta pavnte on the earth and the ta pavnte in the heavens. The ta pavnte= the all, the whole enchilada.

Ta pavnte = in the absolute sense of the whole of creation, the universe. Of everything in heaven and earth that is in need of uniting and redeeming.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:51 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
When i read on here all not meaning all , the world not being the world , the very depth of my being groans , not because they are rejecting that all men will be saved but clearly they are changing the meaning of words that do not need any explaination to what they mean to fit their doctrine.

They claim to believe 100% of the word but how is this possible when they are changing common easy to understand English words ?

Old 07-07-2009, 01:48 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,391,374 times
Default All Things

The same principle must apply for the biblical usage of the words all things .

This phrase also has a relative restricted meaning in many instances..

for example rom 14:

2For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.

Does all things mean all things without exception ? I think not..

20For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.

Again, is this unrestricted or restricted ? Are all things without exception pure ? What about adultry, is that pure ?

1 cor 9:

22To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

Again, was paul made all things without exception ? Was He made an Idolator to that He may win an Idolator ? Did He necome a murderer to win all murderers ?

Again paul saysin 1 cor 10:

23All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

Now, think , is this all things unrestricted ? Was coveteouness lawful for paul ? He said all things right ?

eph 6:

21But that ye also may know my affairs, and how I do, Tychicus, a beloved brother and faithful minister in the Lord, shall make known to you all [pas] things:

Now was this minister going to make known all things without exception ? Did he have that type vast knowledge to make known ?

Paul say in phil 4:

13I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Again, does all things here mean, all things without exception ?

Is paul saying he can kill someone through Christ which strengthened him ?

Surely men who carelessly teach these two words merely to promote their doctrines and to reject the clear teaching of scripture, shall not be innocent in the day of Judgment..

Old 07-07-2009, 01:56 PM

396 posts, read 598,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
When i read on here all not meaning all , the world not being the world , the very depth of my being groans , not because they are rejecting that all men will be saved but clearly they are changing the meaning of words that do not need any explaination to what they mean to fit their doctrine.

They claim to believe 100% of the word but how is this possible when they are changing common easy to understand English words ?
Mark 1:37
And when they had found him, they said unto him, All men seek for thee.

pcamps, does this verse literally mean that every man on the planet at that time was seeking him, even those outside of Israel that didn't even know he was alive?

Old 07-07-2009, 01:58 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
2For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.

Does all things mean all things without exception ? I think not..

YES

20For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.

Again, is this unrestricted or restricted ? Are all things without exception pure ? What about adultry, is that pure ?

If your eye be single your whole body shall be full of light ,yes all things are pure to the pure .Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God(purity)

Old 07-07-2009, 01:59 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,687 times
Wow! Is there anything at "ALL" you guys can agree on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity