U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 07:00 PM

9,444 posts, read 9,669,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
He might as well be watching oprah, for the amount of sound teaching he'll get from osteen. Why should we rejoice at the prospect of someone getting lukewarm prosperity-driven pep-rally "teaching" and then stopping there because they don't know what real Bible teaching is?
Anything that a person can get from a preacher that loves our God is a good thing, this is A STEP!!! Can't you see, this is already a step for improvement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 07:08 PM

4,669 posts, read 1,455,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Anything that a person can get from a preacher that loves our God is a good thing, this is A STEP!!! Can't you see, this is already a step for improvement!

No...I can't see it as a "step". When pressed, Osteen has shown that he won't even tell someone that w/out Jesus they'll go to hell. I question of osteen actually knows the gospel. By your logic I should be rejoicing when a person goes to the synagogue or mosque down the street.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:10 PM

9,444 posts, read 9,669,887 times
Quote:
No...I can't see it as a "step". When pressed, Osteen has shown that he won't even tell someone that w/out Jesus they'll go to hell. I question of osteen actually knows the gospel. By your logic I should be rejoicing when a person goes to the synagogue or mosque down the street.

Wow!!! That's scary...sorry I (Christian) stepped in into this forum... Maybe Joel Osteen DOESN'T BELIEVE that all people who don't believe in Christ go to hell. In fact, many Christians I know cannot say that for sure either. It's not up to a human to make that judgement.

Anyway - if that's what all Christians here believe that AND SURE OF THAT, then I'm out. Peace.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:14 PM

7,374 posts, read 4,193,151 times
Quote:
Wow!!! That's scary...sorry I (Christian) stepped in into this forum... Maybe Joel Osteen DOESN'T BELIEVE that all people who don't believe in Christ go to hell. In fact, many Christians I know cannot say that for sure either. It's not up to a human to make that judgement.

Anyway - if that's what all Christians here believe that AND SURE OF THAT, then I'm out. Peace.
One day everyone who has ever lived will worship God the father in the name of Jesus(Yĕhowshuwa').

Old 07-12-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:

Do you think Jesus was kidding when he said that he was the way, the truth and the life, and that no one gets to God but through him?

Christianity is not just some "make it up as you go" sprituality.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:59 PM

18,949 posts, read 8,805,399 times
Quote:
Do you think Jesus was kidding when he said that he was the way, the truth and the life, and that no one gets to God but through him?

Christianity is not just some "make it up as you go" sprituality.
Which is exactly what the fundamental evangelical organized church system does .

Old 07-12-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Which is exactly what the fundamental evangelical organized church system does .
dude...you're the one peddling a feel-good unversalism. Not us.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
dude...you're the one peddling a feel-good unversalism. Not us.
Listen i have to do with God daily , how is this feel good.

God is my father and disciplines me as a father .

You are the one peddling God as a tyrant vengeful monster , that makes Hitler look like an angel.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:56 PM

I have just started recording his Sunday broadcast . I have no doubt the man loves the Lord . I like how he speaks about being a blessng to others.
People accuse him of not preaching the gospel ??? What do you want to preach the gospel to believers for ?
Paul in his epistles was not preaching but ministering how to walk in the love of God to believers.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:07 PM

6,177 posts, read 4,719,909 times
Quote:
Joel is one of a few tv ministers who i do not see as preaching a prosperity message.
Let me give you the skinny on Osteen:

There are three kinds of TV evangelists today:
1) prosperity eg. Creflo Dollar the last name should tell you all you need to know about his brand of preaching.
2) motivational eg. Osteen verry little Jesus; very little 'give me $100 and God will give you back $1000.
3) gospel eg. John MacArthur a good man who succeeds on his charisma despite a very heavy Jesus message.

Osteen had a very heavy rock laid on his shoulder, probably against his will for the most part. While his "Daddy" was alive he had a secure job as a cameraman behind the spotlights. Then Daddy kicked the bucket and the Church (and his job) were in danger of evaporating. His security threatened; his older brother having made a mess of trying to step into Daddy's shoes earlier; Lakewood in danger of going under; having an ambitious trophy wife with a taste for power, prestige, privilege and, last but certainly not least, $$$$'s, Osteen had no choice but to give filling Daddy's shoes a shot or the whole ball of wax (Lakewood) would have melted PDQ. Realizing that if he preached a straight gospel message of salvation through Jesus he'd empty his church faster than screaming fire in a theatre, and having a wife with a penchant for the finer things in life, he (wisely in a worldly way, unwisely from the POV of his salvation) made the decision to go with the type of "feel good" cotton candy theology that he knew would draw large crowds. The pixie dust he sprinkles on his congregation each week leaves them floating out of service with a smile on their faces and stars in their eyes (minus, of course, lots of $$$$'s they pay for their spiritual "high". Boyish charm, a grin wide as the Grand Canyon, and that 'aw shucks' humility certainly doesn't tarnish the carefully coiffured image his promoters continuously preen and refine for him. A formula for success, in every sense of the "word", except God's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity