U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:44 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,449,783 times

Advertisements

"We're not gonna take it
No, we ain't gonna take it
We're not gonna take it anymore"

(Matthew 18:20)
20 For where two or three are gathered together in My name , I am there in the midst of them.”

I have heard this verse misinterpreted many times in here infact even my pastor misinterpreted it two Sundays ago.
This verse is not about having church, where if two or more Christians get together then that is having church, NO!
This verse is dealing with "church discipline" (praying under Jesus’ authority as a group to resolve a broken relationship)

"We're not gonna take it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 07:53 AM

3,553 posts, read 4,372,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
"We're not gonna take it

20 For where two or three are gathered together in My name , I am there in the midst of them.”

I have heard this verse misinterpreted many times in here infact even my pastor misinterpreted it two Sundays ago.
This verse is not about having church, where if two or more Christians get together then that is having church, NO!
This verse is dealing with "church discipline" (praying under Jesus’ authority as a group to resolve a broken relationship)

"We're not gonna take it
You quote "twisted sister" with church and verses in the middle of them. Tsk, tsk tsk.

And I disagree with your assesment. WE as believers are the CHURCH. Not a pagan building made with hands.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:54 AM

309 posts, read 436,750 times
I believe that this verse implies that if two or more agree on something and pray about it then the Lord will be there and work it out for the best.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:56 AM

30,165 posts, read 19,971,676 times
What does having church mean and what is it's scriptual basis ?

Old 07-08-2009, 07:58 AM

428 posts, read 691,402 times
Quote:
"We're not gonna take it

"We're not gonna take it
How do you know this?

Old 07-08-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
You quote "twisted sister" with church and verses in the middle of them. Tsk, tsk tsk.

And I disagree with your assesment. WE as believers are the CHURCH. Not a pagan building made with hands.
Great song!

"We're not gonna take it

That's nice but I am not talking about that....this verse deals with church discipline it is not about having church. It is church discipline

Old 07-08-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddythreepointoh View Post
How do you know this?
1) Read the rest of the passage

2) Simple Hermeneutics

Old 07-08-2009, 08:15 AM

428 posts, read 691,402 times
Quote:
1) Read the rest of the passage

2) Simple Hermeneutics
I just read the entire chapter and disagree completely. And keep in mind that I am a Bible college graduate who has studied the Bible my whole life.

Does that make me right? No. But there are multiple interpretations to all sorts of things in the Bible, and many interpreters are well learned.

Who's to say who's right?

Old 07-08-2009, 08:19 AM

5,925 posts, read 5,682,496 times
Quote:
Well it is whoever can declare themselves correct the most times.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
I just read the entire chapter and disagree completely. And keep in mind that I am a Bible college graduate who has studied the Bible my whole life.

Does that make me right? No. But there are multiple interpretations to all sorts of things in the Bible, and many interpreters are well learned.

Only one can be right

Matthew 18:15-20 (New American Standard Bible)

Discipline and Prayer

15"If your brother sins, go and show him his fault in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother.
16"But if he does not listen to you, take one or two more with you, so that BY THE MOUTH OF TWO OR THREE WITNESSES EVERY FACT MAY BE CONFIRMED.
17"If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. 18"Truly I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven.
19"Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven.
20"For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst."

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 07-08-2009 at 09:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity