U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-09-2009, 02:07 PM

6,209 posts, read 3,969,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evidence-is-key View Post
how about you do your own dirty deed and not relly on someone else to do things FOR you! (ie. remove your sins!)

why should someone else pay for your mistakes!
I think you are misunderstanding here. We will pay for our mistakes. But we need help to stop making them again and again.

There's more to it than this, but I'd rather not derail yet another thread...
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 02:08 PM

1,143 posts, read 943,568 times
I have the impression that many of those who profess to be Christian care only about themselves, "fine if I am saved - may the rest go to hell", it is somehow scaring, I realized, most people hate the doctrine of the reconciliation of the whole (Col. 1:20), atheists don't like Christians no matter what they believe on this subject, and those who profess to be Christians don't want to have it be true also, which I can't understand, I don't know how people can life with the thought that 90 % of mankind that ever lived will suffer for ever and ever and ever without any end ever. But I think even those who claim to believe it, do not believe it all, one might lose his mind otherwise.

I almost became Muslim and there was a point where I accepted that maybe there is a hell, however I never believed the bible says so (grown up in an evangelical family), but even when almost a Muslim; and the Koran says a lot about hell unlike the bible, I did not believe that anyone ends there in the end, it's an irrational doctrine and against the moral conscience of men, given from God. I often have the impression that at least agnostics somehow know that there is a God and Judge above, but only people blinded my religious tradition believe that God is an eternal torturer, therefore is Christianity ridiculed by many and I can understand it.

Johann Albrecht Bengel, a German Lutheran theologican, scholar and bible translator who lived about 1700 if I remember right, who believed in universalism said it is not wise to speak too open about it and not with everybody, maybe he was right, but on the other hand, it is what Scriptures commands us to teach (1 Tim. 4:10.11)

Old 07-09-2009, 02:09 PM

8,990 posts, read 8,806,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Because of death we need Christ, of course, not eternal torture.
So Jesus was brutalized, mocked, beaten, spat on, ridiculed, suffered a physical death, suffered a spiritual death-a sinless man became sin for us (and we have not a clue what that must have felt like-probably over a 1,000,000 depressions and pains rolled into one), took the punishment from God that was meant for us. ALL this so that we didn't have to die?

Whhhhhaaaatttttt!!!!?????

Old 07-09-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
But if you are going to be save anyhow what is the need for Christ.

LOL You would not believe how often this question gets asked. And its purely because the asker doesn't think about it.

How am I to be saved if Christ doesn't save me?

You may as well ask, since the fireman will save the child anyway, what is the need for the fireman?

Old 07-09-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
LOL You would not believe how often this question gets asked. And its purely because the asker doesn't think about it.

You may as well ask, since the fireman will save the child anyway, what is the need for the fireman?

HUH????!!!!

Save you from what!!!!!?????
I believe it is universalist who don't really think about the meaning of saved

Oh we are saved...we are saved....we are saved.....thank you Lord.....we are saved

Saved from what?!

Old 07-09-2009, 02:20 PM

4,191 posts, read 3,243,826 times
Quote:

No that is an intirely different scenrio. Why cant we just go to heaven on our own. There are plenty of none beleavers who will go the heaven according to universalism and the wont be chosing Christ. Once you die in the flesh it is to late to chose so if they are going to heaven why do we need Jesus.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
No that is an intirely different scenrio. Why cant we just go to heaven on our own. There are plenty of none beleavers who will go the heaven according to universalism and the wont be chosing Christ. Once you die in the flesh it is to late to chose so if they are going to heaven why do we need Jesus.
They love this fireman analogy that more than limps when it pertains to the preordained plan of God since we ourselves can't fully understand it.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post

Save you from what!!!!!?????
I believe it is universalist who don't really think about the meaning of saved

Oh we are saved...we are save....we are saved.....thank you Lord.....we are saved

Saved from what?!
Fundy, I know you've heard this answer before.

Did you not read the at least 2 or 3 posts in this very thread that answer your question?

WE ARE SAVED FROM SIN.

Is that not enough?

Is sin some how OK to keep doing if there is no threat of eternal hell?!??!?

Do you really want to keep making the same stupid mistakes, doing the same stupid sins forever? I know I don't! If I could stop sinning myself, I would! But I can't do it myself. Only God can.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Fundy, I know you've heard this answer before.

Did you not read the at least 2 or 3 posts in this very thread that answer your question?

WE ARE SAVED FROM SIN.

Is that not enough?

Is sin some how OK to keep doing if there is no threat of eternal hell?!??!?

Do you really want to keep making the same stupid mistakes, doing the same stupid sins forever? I know I don't! If I could stop sinning myself, I would! But I can't do it myself. Only God can.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
that makes no sense unless there is a consequence. What is the consequence of our sins?

Old 07-09-2009, 02:26 PM

36 posts, read 49,600 times
Quote:
But if you are going to be save anyhow what is the need for Christ.
I do believe that there is a hell it says it in the BIBLE. Do you love your father?? Well God is our Father and the creator of you and me and everyone else. It is true that God loves all even non believers but you must accept him as your personal savior in order to have your name written in the book of life. If one does not accept Christ as their personal savior then you will go to hell. God will destroy hell but that doesn't mean that he will take all from hell and bring them into heaven. Right now we have a choice accept him or not but the consequences for not accepting him are so great. Even if there were a chance that God would pull everyone from hell and bring them to heaven would you want to take that chance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity