Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 11:15 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,391,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Of course you will say that, but your own words have said that it is God that does it. Do you deny your own doctrine now?
In your blinded mind..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 11:16 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
In your blinded mind..
You wrote it publically, so it's not only in my mind.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
You wrote it publically, so it's not only in my mind.
So..

Old 07-13-2009, 11:27 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
So..

Exactly

Old 07-13-2009, 05:31 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,156,182 times
Some would argue that if aionian and related words do not mean eternal, then God cannot be eternal, for these words also describe Him. To this we say, that just because God is described as the God of the eons, does not mean that He is not the God who also transcends the eons. In the same way, just because He is called the God of Israel, does not also mean that He is not the God of all the other nations. Also, there are other Greek words used to refer to the unending power and life of God. They are, aptharsia/apthartos, which means imperishableness and immortality; amarantinos/amarantos which mean unfading, without loss of pristine character; and akatalytos, which means indestructable and unstoppable. They are usually translated as immortal, or incorruptible. Please refer to the following verses for reference: Hebrews 7:15-16, 1 Peter 1:3-4, 1 Peter 5:4, 1 Timothy 1:17, Romans 1:23, 1 Corinthians 9:25, 1 Corinthians 15:51-54, Romans 2:7, 1 Corinthians 15:42, 2 Timothy 1:10, and 1 Timothy 6:16.

If Hell is Real

Thanks for the link, rodger.

God bless.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:49 AM

Popular Myth: One’s fate is sealed after death. If this is true, how do we deal with the following scriptures that indicate the opposite?

“Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him” (2 Samuel 14:14).

“The LORD killeth, and maketh alive: he bringeth down to the grave (sheol), and bringeth up.” 1 Samuel 2: 6

“See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand” (Deuteronomy 32:39).

“I will ransom them from the power of the grave (Sheol/Hell); I will redeem them from death. O Death, I will be your plagues! O Grave (Sheol/Hell), I will be your destruction!” (Hosea 13:11-14).
)
“Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still with him on the way, or he may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison. I tell you the truth, you will not get out until you have paid the last penny” (Matthew 5:25-26).

If Hell is Real

God bless.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Popular Myth: One’s fate is sealed after death. If this is true, how do we deal with the following scriptures that indicate the opposite?

“Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him” (2 Samuel 14:14).

“The LORD killeth, and maketh alive: he bringeth down to the grave (sheol), and bringeth up.” 1 Samuel 2: 6

“See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand” (Deuteronomy 32:39).

“I will ransom them from the power of the grave (Sheol/Hell); I will redeem them from death. O Death, I will be your plagues! O Grave (Sheol/Hell), I will be your destruction!” (Hosea 13:11-14).

“Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still with him on the way, or he may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison. I tell you the truth, you will not get out until you have paid the last penny” (Matthew 5:25-26).

If Hell is Real

Death is not the end

God bless.
rev 14:

And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:13 AM

Mods, sorry for the double post, can you pl delete the first one? Thanks and God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 07-15-2009 at 07:21 AM..

Old 07-15-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Popular myth: Jesus spoke of Hell more than He did of Heaven. This is not true! Jesus warned the Jews many times of impending destruction, both nationally and individually. He used several different terms to refer to punishment/destruction, some of which were erroneously translated as the same word, “Hell” by Bible translators. We do not deny that God will indeed judge the whole world, and nor do we wish to make light of His judgments. Rather, we are challenging the belief that His judgment on sin and unbelief is eternal torment/Hell and never-ending separation from God.

If Hell is real, why were most of the warnings pertaining to punishment/Gehenna directed to Israel, particularly the Lord’s own disciples as well as the Pharisees? The first great cluster of references to Gehenna, are found in the Sermon on the Mount (Mat 5:22, 29, 30), Jesus' great sermon to His disciples in which He warned that one was in danger of Gehenna for the likes of calling someone a fool. This is a far cry from our modern Evangelical interpretation that says not accepting Jesus as your Savior is what sends someone to Hell. If Hell is real, aren’t we taking verses out of context when we warn sinners/outsiders of Hell, when in the original context they were directed to covenant people?Since the concept of Hell doesn't exist in the Old Testament, how could Jesus and his disciples teach that salvation was deliverance from a place that is not even found in their Scriptures? And if He was introducing the subject for the first time, why did He do it so casually, as though His listeners already understood what He was talking about?
If Hell is Real

God bless.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:14 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,760,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post

)

If Hell is Real

God bless.

This is amazing ...

Quote:
Here we see the power of death is not simply in its ability to kill, but to hold the dead. In order for Christ to truly be victorious over death and for death to be swallowed up in victory, not only must no one die anymore, but no one can remain dead either. I hear so many say the second death is forever, That those who die the second death remain dead for ever. That the power of the grave will continue to hold sway over the majority of Gods creation even after it is said to have been defeated. As if Christ can defeat death but not the power of death, when they are one and the same thing.

Even annihilationism is not in accord with the message of the bible. Though it is far less monstrous than the concept of ET, it never the less puts forth that the power of death will never be defeated but will hold sway for ever over the vast majority of Gods creation. And that Christ will not be able to say, grave where is thy victory, death where is thy sting. The sting of death is to kill, the victory of death is to hold on to the dead. In the end, thanks be to God for Christ our savior, it shall have neither sting nor victory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity