U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:46 PM

574 posts, read 1,840,584 times

Advertisements

Please be honest with me. Our church has been under a lot of stress lately with a new pastor (only 2 months), serious financial issues and having to cut 2 of our very well loved FT staff to PT employees. So, on my own I decided to have a Staff Appreciation week next week (this DOES include our pastor as he is staff). I have emailed our congregation (those for whom I have their addies) and am planning to hand out fliers this weekend after each service. I am asking everyone to do something, send them a card, take in a plate of goodies, a pizza for lunch, call them on the phone, whatever. I have gotten some very positive comments, including one from the MIL of our cantor, who was one of those cut. Today though my own mom says my timing is off and its not a good idea now. Then when I posted that concern on another board, 1 of the 8 who commented agreed with my mom and also said I should have taken before the church council first. I am getting concerned now that I did something wrong. Have I? I am sincerely just trying to get people to be cohesive and show our staff some love and appreciation during a stressful time.

Thanks.

Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 11:12 PM

22 posts, read 28,212 times
If you want to do something as an official church function, then yes, your mom is right. If you are promoting something positive as an individual Christian without using church property, then you have every right to do what you are doing. May the Lord bless your endeavor.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:54 AM

3,067 posts, read 3,565,592 times
Lets turn the issue around a bit...

Lets say I work for your church, and I get my paycheck cut in half and in return a lady says "Heres a cookie"???

I might think that that lady is asking a lot from me to still smile at her offer....

(In other words....Its a bad time to do this without asking around for advice)

Old 07-10-2009, 05:01 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,694,814 times
Sometimes what seems right to us is not. Just listen to people you respect around you and listen to their advice. Your heart was in the right place

Old 07-10-2009, 05:17 AM

8,830 posts, read 9,987,774 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioAdoptMom3 View Post
Did I do something wrong here?
No...........not in the eyes of God.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:24 AM

2,345 posts, read 3,894,373 times
It is nice gesture. If they are getting upset about it then they are a little shallow.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:05 PM

574 posts, read 1,840,584 times
Thank you all for grounding me and helping me to see that this is indeed, as I first though, OK. Our congregation is divided and in dishevel right now and we need something uplifting and positive to happen. I am not gathering the entire group for something, doing anything during worship services or needing a specific date on the church calendar, so I am thinking it must be OK without approval.

Nancy

Old 07-11-2009, 01:37 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,081,900 times
Taking a page out of Alan's book . . .

Another way to turn the situation around is to look at your gesture from the perspective of the person/group who recommended the staff positions be cut. That person may think your initiative is a not too subtle dig, implying that you disagree with the decision to cut positions. (Since the church body doesn't appreciate these people enough to keep them . . . ) Some people may think you're sowing seeds of discord, that you're adding fuel to the fire.

From what you've written, I don't believe that's the case. It sounds like you genuinely want to shower those you love with blessing. In a perfect world, others would recognize expressions of love for what they are. In a topsy turvy world like your church is experiencing, however, loving actions may be misunderstood. People in turmoil are often hypersensitive, seeing offense when none is intended.

Since even your mother thinks your timing is off, you probably need to keep your spiritual antenna tuned up so you'll recognize if someone has misunderstood your intention. You might have to bend over backwards to explain that your action wasn't a political statement or a bone thrown to the outcast but rather a sincere intent to bless and encourage everyone.

Just don't become overly sensitive yourself--things may be just fine, and everyone may take your loving act at face value.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:48 AM

3,067 posts, read 3,565,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
Taking a page out of Alan's book . . .

Another way to turn the situation around is to look at your gesture from the perspective of the person/group who recommended the staff positions be cut. That person may think your initiative is a not too subtle dig, implying that you disagree with the decision to cut positions. (Since the church body doesn't appreciate these people enough to keep them . . . ) Some people may think you're sowing seeds of discord, that you're adding fuel to the fire.

I have to agree with you 100%

Chances are the church staff will feel this is an attempt to stab them in the back.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:28 PM

1,899 posts, read 4,142,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
I have to agree with you 100%

Chances are the church staff will feel this is an attempt to stab them in the back.
If the church staff is that sensitive, then they are the ones with the problem.

Kinda sad that a person would even have to worry about somebody getting their nose out of joint over a gesture of kindness.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity