U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 04:50 PM

10,814 posts, read 4,405,216 times

Advertisements

There are 6 things every Muslim is required to believe. these are:

One God;
The angels of God;
The books of God, Torah, Book of Psalms the Injil of Jesus(as) and the Qur'an
The prophets of God,
The Day of Judgment (or the afterlife);
The supremacy of God's will

And 5 things we all are required to do.

A Muslim must acknowledge that "There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is his Prophet"

A Muslim must pray five times daily facing Mecca: at dawn, at noon, in the midafternoon, at dusk, and after dark.

Each Muslim must pay a zagat (Give to charity)

A Muslim must fast for the month of Ramadan. During the fasting month, one must refrain from eating, drinking, smoking, and sexual intercourse from dawn until sunset.

A Muslim must make a pilgrimage to Mecca. Every adult Muslim who is physically and financially able to do so must make this pilgrimage at least once in his or her lifetime.

that is what is required for us to be a Muslim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 08:45 AM

13,856 posts, read 14,006,020 times
I do like that there is a "what is it?" discussion-type thread as most threads are "prove/disprove-it" argumentative type. Although it might be a bit too open-ended. I mean there are so many religions a bit of focus could make sense.

Here's some links to info on small/smallish, yet centuries old religions, that maybe you wouldn't know of much.

Our Beliefs - Relatively recent, it's the Swedenborgians, the rest will be more ancient.
AVESTA -- Zoroastrian Archives
http://www.thesamaritanupdate.com/
MANDAEAN ASSOCIATIONS UNION
The other Kurds: Yazidis in colonial ... - Nelida Fuccaro - Google Books

And here's something comparing religions.

Side By Side Comparison Lens

Old 11-19-2011, 05:28 PM

12,411 posts, read 9,639,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
To answer the original topic, I describe myself as an "Agnostic Reform Jew"... sounds funny, I know, but it makes perfect sense to me! I was raised in the Reform Synagogue, which is basically the least-strict sect of Judaism. If you want a real description of the faith's beliefs, you can read about it here (I wouldn't do it justice, plus I'll explain MY beliefs afterward):
http://rj.org/
Judaism, Reform Judaism, Reform Jews, What Reform Jews Believe, About Reform Judaism - Beliefnet.com
The Origins of Reform Judaism

My parents are very involved with our Jewish culture, heritage, traditions, and so forth - but not really about "God" and following every word of the Torah. We were all Bar/Bat-Mitzvahed, Confirmed, attended 10+ years of Sunday School, 4 years of Hebrew school, visited Israel, and even sang in the Temple's choir... but I don't think any of us can say we believe in God, in the sense that most religious folks do. My brother actually "denounced" his faith altogether, and only refers to himself as Agnostic and ANTI Religion. But I'm proud of our heritage, and love almost everything about the Jewish culture. I get all "warm & fuzzy" hearing a beautiful chanted prayer, or participating in all the Jewish traditions. So I guess you could say that Judaism is more my culture than my religion... make any sense??
Makes excellent sense to me.
I was reared in Christian fundamentalism.
I came across a book on comparative religion and started with the premise that people in the world believed in their faith just as deeply as I did, mine. I found that I resonated most with the Hindu and Buddhist beliefs in that book.
This lead to prayers for guidance.
I do believe that, if a god existed, he must be as real today as he was in biblical days.
I kind of got an answer to my prayers by little miracles/odd occurrences in my life. This lead me down a path for explanations of these things and now, after many many years I find myself appreciating the Theosophical Society. The nice thing is that you don't have to believe in their teachings, just have an open and curious mind.
I, personally, believe we are eternal. I believe in a power in love and fellowship. I think, if there is a god, it is a god of all of nature and it must approve of the extinction of entire species at times. God is distant and not always personal.
To me, it matters little what house of worship you attend or your non belief in a god. The thing that matters is how you live your life, how you try to be fair even though it may not be immediately apparent that being fair is in your own best interests.
I think true spirituality makes us rise up out of the situation we are born in and consider others as our brother.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarada Devi View Post
Simply put I believe in One God, Brahman is infinite, without beginning or end. Who chooses to manifest in many different aspects. He is unimaginable by humankind, we can only understand and know him little bits a time. So, sometimes he is Shiva, sometimes he is Ganesh, sometimes Rama, sometimes Krishna.

I believe in non-dualism where God is both imminent and transcendent.
some Hindus, such as the Hare Krishna movement believe in dualism.

Brahman is the Supreme Soul, (Paramatma) and all living beings are sparks of the Divine Supreme Soul (jivatma)

We are spiritual beings in material form
It is important that you said this as many Christians, sadly, believe that Hinduism is a religion of many gods. Thank you for clearing that up.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:43 AM

3,962 posts, read 2,519,502 times
I am a proud Pagan of 15 years plus. Like with Hinduism I believe in more then one God but I choose to pay my respects to one. I walk the path of the Druids as best as I can and considering we know very little about them it's not always easy.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:26 AM

4,083 posts, read 2,610,788 times
Why is this in Christian forum? It is asking about any religious belief, not just Christian, it was in the religion/philosophy forum.

but I would like to know how other denomination's beliefs vary from mine...whether you be Catholic, Lutheran, another Baptist (even the differences between Southern Baptist, First Baptist and so on), Jewish (and even the Atheists and Agnostics) and any others I have not mentioned.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:47 AM

5,155 posts, read 2,028,458 times
I am a pastor in the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. Our church has a traditional understanding that Bible is the innerant word of God, and that all matters of faith must be ruled by God's Word.
We believe that is someone is to be saved, it is by faith in Jesus and His sacrifice on the cross for the sins of all. We believe this salvation is a free gift to all who believe. We believe that baptism is a sacrament in which God saves, even babies when they are bapized, and that immersion is not required. We believe the Lord's Supper is also a true sacred act, in which God gives us the body and blood of Christ, being supernaturally present.
We believe the traditional doctrine of the Trinity, as stated in the Nicene and Apostles creeds. We are quite evangelistic, have a large network of elementary schools, colleges and high schools. Our confessions are available on the internet and are expressed in the Book of Concord. Our basic beliefs have not changed since the time of the Protestant Reformation.
If you have more questions, you can check out the LCMS.org web site.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:12 PM

I am not a Hindu, but appreciate the religion. Many sources say it is a mistake to think they believe in many gods. They believe that one God created all things. I believe they pray to other deities the way that some Catholics choose to pray to Mary (or other saints), because that one manifestation makes the prayer experience easier for them - some people see a male god as off putting and somewhat negative, cruel and judgmental while they view a female god as more sympathetic and forgiving.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:48 PM

13,856 posts, read 14,006,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Why is this in Christian forum? It is asking about any religious belief, not just Christian, it was in the religion/philosophy forum.
I have no idea why it was moved and personally I think that was probably a mistake as it clearly contains discussions of non-Christian faiths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
but I would like to know how other denomination's beliefs vary from mine...whether you be Catholic, Lutheran, another Baptist (even the differences between Southern Baptist, First Baptist and so on), Jewish (and even the Atheists and Agnostics) and any others I have not mentioned.
There's a fair amount of variation among Baptists as they traditionally emphasized a fair amount of independence by congregation. Although there are things they all share. Like they share, with the Anabaptists, a belief in adult baptism.

The part of Arkansas I grew up the "Free Will Baptists" were big. I haven't lived in Arkansas since I was five, but from what I recall "Free Will Baptists" were fairly Fundamentalist. Quite often strongly against alcohol and gambling, but at times weaker on tobacco. Although that might be a regional variation. "Free Will Baptists" tended to be more rural.

Southern Baptists tended to be more what you found in the cities. They were a bit more liberal, in some ways, but have become more conservative over time. They started, I believe, because of differences with Northern Baptists over slavery.

Northern Baptists, or more properly the American Baptist Churches USA, is somewhat like a mainline Protestant group like Methodists are. My oldest sister married a guy from a Northern Baptist type background. When his folks moved to Southern Missouri they switched to Methodists as Baptists there were much different than what they were used to.

Lutherans also have a lot of different groups. The Evangelical Lutheran Church of America is quite liberal/progressive on things like gender and such. The Lutheran Church Missouri-Synod is fairly traditional and maintains many old Lutheran values about the Papacy and the like. Then you have groups like the Laestadians, started by a botanist oddly enough, that I believe are pretty intensely hardcore. Although even the most conservative Lutherans aren't like the image of "Evangelicals" as, so far as I can tell, pretty much all Lutheranism is "amillennial" and doesn't believe in things like "The Rapture." They also believe the Eucharist is both "Body and Blood" and "Bread and Wine" if I'm reading/remembering right.

Catholic and Orthodox is what I'd know best. Although Orthodoxy is in some ways difficult as Orthodox seem to have a "don't explain" view on many things seeing Catholics as over-explaining things or being too tainted by Aristotelian thinking. Both though tend to value Ecumenical Councils and believe in the Seven Sacraments.

And pretty much all Christianity is going to vary from Judaism, I believe you are a convert to Judaism, on issues concerning Christ and kosher-laws. Although I think the Seventh-Day Adventists partially observe kosher or something like it.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:12 PM

2,756 posts, read 2,124,690 times
I can really resonate with Virote's words. I am a mix of things from many corners.
There is no one religion that I can claim, but for the sake of giving it a recognizable lable, Pagan/Pantheist.
I'm not a god/goddess pagan but I aknowledge them for what they symbolically stand for.
Rather than a single supreme entity, I look to the Universe as well as the collective counciousness.
This universal energy is ever moving through everything and everyone.
I believe that we all have the power through thought and feeling to manifest our needs and desires.
That belief goes along with many personal experiences of manifestation.
We are spiritual beings having a human experience and that there are many other sorts of spiritual beings that have a different vibration than our physical selves.
Having a father who was psychic, I also have these impressions.
I believe that psychic energy comes from the same force and energy that inspired many of the writings and stories within the more popular religions.
And it may come to suprise many that I read the bible, I just interpet it a bit differently than those who use this book for their faith.
There are aspects of belief that are up in the air, but I lean towards. Such as reincarnation. Personal experience has me looking in this direction.
I like to keep my mind open to all things, one of my sayings is that anything is possible.
Another thing I like to say, which is better in written form because of its play on words is 'Love is our Soul purpose'. Thus Love is the most important aspect of what I believe.

I'd like to say thank you to the OP'er and all who have shared. It is such a rare place to be able to have an open and kind discussion with so many different perspectives on life and faith.

Also, a special mention of a wonderful documentary that fits perfectly into this discussion-
It can be found on Netflix 'Lord, save us from your followers'. Don't let the title put you off. It was made by an Evangical Christian who wondered about the 'disfunction' between people and different faiths.
So he went out wearing a jumpsuit plastered with all kinds of bumper stickers with religious and spiritual statements as a conversation opener.
It is a delightful watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity