U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-12-2009, 06:52 PM
 
7,374 posts, read 7,401,098 times
Reputation: 895

Advertisements

Did Adam and eve go to eternal hell? If not, the why does anyone else? What was the actual consaquence of their actions?

Did hell just come into existence at the dawn of Christianity as a result of Christ death? Whose sin is greater, someone who never knew God, or those who were born of God? David was a murderer by proxy and an adulterer and a selfish coward ... Solomon was a womanizer and an idolater and a blasphemer ... Paul was a mass murderer of saints ... the list goes on and on throughout the bible. Where is the line drawn? Who draws it? At what point have you crossed it? What are the ultimate consequences? Is what you believe about these things consistent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-12-2009, 07:56 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,716,016 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Did Adam and eve go to eternal hell? If not, the why does anyone else? What was the actual consaquence of their actions?

Did hell just come into existence at the dawn of Christianity as a result of Christ death? Whose sin is greater, someone who never knew God, or those who were born of God? David was a murderer by proxy and an adulterer and a selfish coward ... Solomon was a womanizer and an idolater and a blasphemer ... Paul was a mass murderer of saints ... the list goes on and on throughout the bible. Where is the line drawn? Who draws it? At what point have you crossed it? What are the ultimate consequences? Is what you believe about these things consistent?
No.......it's pretty simple. Only one thing sends you to hell, one sin that is unforgivable-dying in your sins unrepentant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2009, 08:08 PM
 
7,374 posts, read 7,401,098 times
Reputation: 895
Why didn't god tell Adam and Eve that they were going to hell if they didn't repent? How come he never even mentioned the fact that they might be tortured forever if the failed to repent? Why did he say that the wages of sin is death, instead of eternal torture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2009, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Bristol, WI
281 posts, read 823,935 times
Reputation: 194
The Bible does not say because the Jewish religion at the time Genesis was written had no such belief. Also note, the serpent is not Satan, the story makes it very plain, the serpent was simply a serpent.

The concepts of Hell and Satan came during the Exile in Babylon, when Judaism was influenced by the ancient Babylonian religion, a precursor or Zoroastrianism, which did have such beliefs. The Underworld and the personification of Evil appear in the post-Exilic literature.

At the time of Jesus, Zoroastrianism became very active in the region. Early Christian beliefs are deeply influenced by Zoroastrian beliefs. There are many parallels between the New Testament and the Zend Avesta, such as life after death (Heaven and Hell) and end-times prophecy, concepts that are implicit in Zoroastrianism but foreign to Judaism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2009, 08:19 PM
 
Location: God's Country
21,636 posts, read 30,244,343 times
Reputation: 30179
There can be no forgiveness of sin without shedding of blood and we see that in Gen 3:21, the first time of the shedding of blood for sin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2009, 08:19 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,716,016 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Why didn't god tell Adam and Eve that they were going to hell if they didn't repent? How come he never even mentioned the fact that they might be tortured forever if the failed to repent? Why did he say that the wages of sin is death, instead of eternal torture?
Too many what if's........The bible is the whole counsel of God. God has revealed what He needs to reveal to certain people for His purpose. Adam and Eve just had to believe in God since there was no bible, Moses and his people had to believe also, plus they had the 10 commandments but they didn't have the New Testament. We Christians today have the full revelation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2009, 08:21 PM
 
Location: God's Country
21,636 posts, read 30,244,343 times
Reputation: 30179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Why didn't god tell Adam and Eve that they were going to hell if they didn't repent? How come he never even mentioned the fact that they might be tortured forever if the failed to repent? Why did he say that the wages of sin is death, instead of eternal torture?
He did warn them, He told them they would surly die Gen 2:16,if they ate the fruit, meaning a spiritual death due to being separated from Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2009, 08:28 PM
 
7,374 posts, read 7,401,098 times
Reputation: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerguy View Post
The Bible does not say because the Jewish religion at the time Genesis was written had no such belief. Also note, the serpent is not Satan, the story makes it very plain, the serpent was simply a serpent.

The concepts of Hell and Satan came during the Exile in Babylon, when Judaism was influenced by the ancient Babylonian religion, a precursor or Zoroastrianism, which did have such beliefs. The Underworld and the personification of Evil appear in the post-Exilic literature.

At the time of Jesus, Zoroastrianism became very active in the region. Early Christian beliefs are deeply influenced by Zoroastrian beliefs. There are many parallels between the New Testament and the Zend Avesta, such as life after death (Heaven and Hell) and end-times prophecy, concepts that are implicit in Zoroastrianism but foreign to Judaism.

Much of what you say is true ... However the pagan myths associated with Christianity is called by the new testament the leaven of the pharisees ... It has crept in through mistranslations and thus bad exegesis. During the first four centuries the majority of Christians didn't believe in eternal torture. The new testament when rightly divided teaches the soul is in a sleep or unconscious state at death, to be restored to consciousness at the resurrection of the dead. Many of the false pagan doctrines came about after the 4th century ... When Rome began to take control of Christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2009, 08:31 PM
 
7,374 posts, read 7,401,098 times
Reputation: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
He did warn them, He told them they would surly die Gen 2:16,if they ate the fruit, meaning a spiritual death due to being separated from Him.
This does not say anything about hell or fire or forever or anything. Death is the final penalty for sin. Gods judgment is for reconciling the dead to himself, not for the purpose of torturing the souls of the dead for eternity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2009, 08:51 PM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,826 posts, read 10,167,278 times
Reputation: 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
This does not say anything about hell or fire or forever or anything. Death is the final penalty for sin. Gods judgment is for reconciling the dead to himself, not for the purpose of torturing the souls of the dead for eternity.
the purpose of hell was never designed for human habitation, nor was death to be part creation. Hell was to be for the devil, but Jesus (who is the truth) will put those who are against the truth there.

Matthew 25:41
"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

God did reconcile the world to himself, but most the world doesn't believes it. The world wants to enter on its terms, not Gods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top