Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 05:25 PM

3,513 posts, read 9,427,541 times

Advertisements

If you believe in the Second Coming of Christ, what do you think still needs to happen before He returns?

Me? Either.....

1) NOTHING at all! The Second Coming could be any day now.

OR

2) the Great Chastisement immediately before the Second Coming

My reasoning:

-We are at Revelation 20:9

-The Great Apostasy has already occurred

-The Antichrist has already come in the form of the last 4 or 5 popes

-The majority of the secrets of La Salette and Fatima have already taken place

-Matthew 24:37 For as the days of Noah were, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 38 For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day Noah entered the ark, 39 and they knew nothing until the flood came and swept them all away, so too will be the coming of the Son of Man.

Remember two things. A) Just like God's only concern in the Old Testament was Israel, so it is today as God's only concern now is his church....the Catholic Church. All Prophecy for the end times deals only with the Catholic Church. B) Just as Israel was looking for a larger than life earthly king figure in the Messiah and most people in that time didn't recognize Jesus as Messiah, so it is today. Most people misread Revelation and end time prophecy thinking of major "epic" events and fail to see what is taking place now has already fulfilled prophecy. God is more concerned with the spiritual battle, not the earthly ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 05:27 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,492,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
If you believe in the Second Coming of Christ, what do you think still needs to happen before He returns?

Me? Either.....

1) NOTHING at all! The Second Coming could be any day now.

OR

2) the Great Chastisement immediately before the Second Coming

My reasoning:

-We are at Revelation 20:9

-The Great Apostasy has already occurred

-The Antichrist has already come in the form of the last 4 or 5 popes

-The majority of the secrets of La Salette and Fatima have already taken place

-Matthew 24:37 For as the days of Noah were, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 38 For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day Noah entered the ark, 39 and they knew nothing until the flood came and swept them all away, so too will be the coming of the Son of Man.

Remember two things. A) Just like God's only concern in the Old Testament was Israel, so it is today as God's only concern now is his church....the Catholic Church. All Prophecy for the end times deals only with the Catholic Church. B) Just as Israel was looking for a larger than life earthly king figure in the Messiah and most people in that time didn't recognize Jesus as Messiah, so it is today. Most people misread Revelation and end time prophecy thinking of major "epic" events and fail to see what is taking place now has already fulfilled prophecy. God is more concerned with the spiritual battle, not the earthly ones.
Hi, bellafinzi: How about (3) Jesus already returned in A. D. 70 as He promised and the inspired NT writers predicted He would? Just a thought.

Preterist

Old 07-14-2009, 05:32 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
Are you talking about the rapture or the second coming? Do you believe we are in the tribulations days already?

Old 07-14-2009, 07:09 PM

3,513 posts, read 9,427,541 times
Preterist, interesting thought..... but no, don't believe that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Are you talking about the rapture or the second coming?
second coming

there is no rapture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Do you believe we are in the tribulations days already?
yes

Old 07-14-2009, 07:10 PM

257 posts, read 443,982 times
1. The destruction of Babylon

2. The revealing of the son of perdition.

3. The fulfilling of the great tribulation.

4. The sun turn black, the moon to blood, and stars fall from the sky.

These are four prominent events left to happen.

How could I forget? 5. The ministry of the two witnesses

And hey, it would also be nice if the pope would get saved. What would all the cardinals do if suddenly the pope started preaching the gospel of JESUS CHRIST? Wow! It almost gives me chill bumps to think about it.

Last edited by ForHimByHim; 07-14-2009 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: Aditional info

Old 07-14-2009, 07:10 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
When the Gospel has been preached unto every people, everywhere, it will come.

And, there's this to consider from Matthew 24: When Jesus speaks the parable of the fig tree, which most Biblical scholars believe is about the re-birth of Israel (so do I), He makes the comment about that generation not passing away until all things are fulfilled.

Israel was re-born in 1948, so how long is a "generation?"

Old 07-14-2009, 07:19 PM

396 posts, read 598,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
When the Gospel has been preached unto every people, everywhere, it will come.

And, there's this to consider from Matthew 24: When Jesus speaks the parable of the fig tree, which most Biblical scholars believe is about the re-birth of Israel (so do I), He makes the comment about that generation not passing away until all things are fulfilled.

Israel was re-born in 1948, so how long is a "generation?"
I thought a generation was 40 years. It's been over sixty years since 1948. Are you sure Jesus was talking about a 1948 generation, or the generation he was speaking to?

Matthew 24:34 (The Message)

32-35"Take a lesson from the fig tree. From the moment you notice its buds form, the merest hint of green, you know summer's just around the corner. So it is with you: When you see all these things, you'll know he's at the door. Don't take this lightly. I'm not just saying this for some future generation, but for all of you. This age continues until all these things take place. Sky and earth will wear out; my words won't wear out.

Last edited by jeapostle; 07-14-2009 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: add

Old 07-14-2009, 07:36 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
I do believe in the rapture and it could happen at any moment and I'm ready. (if Jesus had already returned, I would be gone and so would a lot of other posters here).

Old 07-14-2009, 08:00 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeapostle View Post
I thought a generation was 40 years. It's been over sixty years since 1948. Are you sure Jesus was talking about a 1948 generation, or the generation he was speaking to?

Matthew 24:34 (The Message)

32-35"Take a lesson from the fig tree. From the moment you notice its buds form, the merest hint of green, you know summer's just around the corner. So it is with you: When you see all these things, you'll know he's at the door. Don't take this lightly. I'm not just saying this for some future generation, but for all of you. This age continues until all these things take place. Sky and earth will wear out; my words won't wear out.

I don't particularly like that translation because it says something subltly different, but that's just me.

How long is a generation? It depends.

Typically, a generation can be defined as either 20 or 40 years, both of which would preclude this passage refering to the re-birth of Israel.

But, Jesus said that generation would not pass away until all is fulfilled. That could just as easily mean anyone who was alive in 1948 and imply that when the last of those people (however many it was) dies, the end would come. That could be a hundred years or more, couldn't it?

At the end of the day, we simply don't know and aren't allowed to know. The Bible says that only God knows when He will order it all done and we're not to worry about that. We're to keep on looking up for our redemption and keep on preaching the Gospel until Christ comes to get us.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:05 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i need to try jes a lil bit harder to get my own act together.
i am betting heavily that failure and humiliation are tremendous stepping stones to doing just that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity