Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 04:21 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
It wasn't directed at you...MADE A MISTAKE...SORRY...IT WAS JAMES and those verses you gave do not have the term "spirits"
Your right, they were resurrected bodies which the people could see otherwise the centurion would not have been terrified and said "Surely he was the Son of God"... a new believer of Jesus he was
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 04:24 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Your right, they were resurrected bodies which the people could see otherwise the centurion would not have been terrified and said "Surely he was the Son of God"... a new believer of Jesus he was
Not directed at you but I hate it when people play fast and loose with scripture. HATE IT! HATE IT! HATE IT! HATE IT!

Tell us what you really think Rog

Old 07-17-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Not directed at you but I hate it when people play fast and loose with scripture. HATE IT! HATE IT! HATE IT! HATE IT!

Tell us what you really think Rog

Old 07-17-2009, 04:54 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
My sentiments exactly

Old 07-17-2009, 05:12 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,505 times
Quote:
I have wondered what is meant by...

He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built.

In the Jewish bible it states:
He put to death in the flesh and brought to life by the Spirit; and in this form he went and made a proclamation to the imprisoned spirits, to those who were disobedient long ago in the days of Noah, when God waited patiently during the building of the ark....

Is this referring to demons during Noah's time or is it referring to those people who were disobedient during Noah's time? This has perplexed me!?
This is my belief and my understanding. It is different from others who have posted here (at least as far as I can tell).

I believe that yes, Jesus went and preached to the spirits of those people who perished at the time of Noah, not demons, being held in prison, i.e. purgatory, i.e. Abraham's Bossom. Demons already knew Jesus so why would he have to make a special proclamation to them? These are people who perished before Jesus was crucified so He went and preached to them and, I believe anyway, took those to heaven who accepted him.

However, I do not believe this will occur again because we are in an age following Jesus' sacrifice. We live in a time where the penalty has already been paid, whereas those in Noah's day lived in an age preceding the payment of their debt in full.

We are without excuse in this life as to who Jesus is and why He came therefore the need for Jesus to preach to those in prison now, following his sacrifice, is moot. The prison was closed, purgatory is no more. We are now appointed to die once and then face judgement (Hebrews 9:27).

Old 07-17-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
This is my belief and my understanding. It is different from others who have posted here (at least as far as I can tell).

I believe that yes, Jesus went and preached to the spirits of those people who perished at the time of Noah, not demons, being held in prison, i.e. purgatory, i.e. Abraham's Bossom. Demons already knew Jesus so why would he have to make a special proclamation to them? These are people who perished before Jesus was crucified so He went and preached to them and, I believe anyway, took those to heaven who accepted him.

However, I do not believe this will occur again because we are in an age following Jesus' sacrifice. We live in a time where the penalty has already been paid, whereas those in Noah's day lived in an age preceding the payment of their debt in full.

We are without excuse in this life as to who Jesus is and why He came therefore the need for Jesus to preach to those in prison now, following his sacrifice, is moot. The prison was closed, purgatory is no more. We are now appointed to die once and then face judgement (Hebrews 9:27).
So in Rev 20:15 the second death is the Judgement by the lake of fire?

Old 07-17-2009, 06:12 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,505 times
Quote:
So in Rev 20:15 the second death is the Judgement by the lake of fire?
Again, my belief and my understanding..

The first death is our physical death and we face judgement and either go to heaven or hell.

The second death is reserved for those in hell who rejected Christ and they will be eternally separted from God... death of the spirit. They will be no more.

Again, my opinion, my belief.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Again, my belief and my understanding..

The first death is our physical death and we face judgement and either go to heaven or hell.

The second death is reserved for those in hell who rejected Christ and they will be eternally separted from God... death of the spirit. They will be no more.

Again, my opinion, my belief.
Okay

Old 07-17-2009, 06:26 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,696,510 times
Amen....mams!

Old 07-17-2009, 06:40 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
It's amazing how there is much rejoicing in heaven over one sinner repenting .

Yet on earth there is a resounding deafening shout of Amen when there is mention of the unbeliever being sent to eternal torture.

Something sounds very very wrong here.

Last edited by pcamps; 07-17-2009 at 06:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity