Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:16 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,866,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
From what I can tell you seem to be proud only when they do something Left-wing or against Catholic tradition. You proud of teaching missions of the "Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist" or the work "Sisters of Life" do with pregnant women or women who had abortions? Or Mother Angelica?

Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist - Our History (http://www.sistersofmary.org/article.php?id=119 - broken link)
Sisters of Life | About Us (http://sistersoflife.org/aboutus.html - broken link)
From what I can tell the few Catholics that are very vocal at this forum are proud only when there is a cause that is supported by right wing fundamentalists, it seems that they have adopted the republican platform as church teaching.
Anytime anyone disagrees with one of these Catholics the name calling begins.
BTW Mother Angelica and ETWN have been chastised by the local bishop in the past.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I don't know if Ted is precisely anti-Catholic or self-loathing Catholic.

From what I can tell Ted is one of those Catholics who believes in the "Spirit of Vatican II" or possibly what Wikipedia calls the "Aggiornamento", but opposes anything that predates or contradicts those things. (Like many of the actual documents of Vatican II itself) People like this tend to support things like Call to Action, DignityUSA, and/or Liberation theology. They admire people like Charles Curran and Hans Kung while disagreeing with what most Popes or Doctors of the Church have to say on anything. From this perspective Catholicism is essentially about social justice and cultural aspects of the laity. So things like obedience, sin, apostolic succession, tradition, etc are uninteresting at best.

So he is pro-Catholic in the way say blogger Andrew Sullivan or Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi are pro-Catholic.
So the name calling and labeling begins

Old 07-19-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Ah, but I am ashamed that your Catholic.
Your personal opinion does not matter to me, it counts for nothing.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:28 AM

396 posts, read 838,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
From what I can tell the few Catholics that are very vocal at this forum are proud only when there is a cause that is supported by right wing fundamentalists, it seems that they have adopted the republican platform as church teaching.
Anytime anyone disagrees with one of these Catholics the name calling begins.
BTW Mother Angelica and ETWN have been chastised by the local bishop in the past.
I am not very vocal on this forum anymore for a whole slew of different reasons, but I will tell you that I am one of the ones that is proud to be a Catholic. I'm by no means a Right Wing Fundamentalist. I am very open minded and do disagree with the Church on one or two points. Here's the thing...I'm also very private. I don't evangelize...that's not one of my gifts. I don't go shouting through the streets that I'm a Catholic and proud of it. I go to Mass as often as I can. I say Grace before meals quietly to myself (so that most people don't even know I'm doing it) and pray the Rosary. If you saw me walking down the street, how would you know I'm Catholic? The only possible way you could tell would be by the Miraculous Medal around my neck...and even then, it's a small one. If you realized I am a Catholic and tried to argue with me on the street I would more than likely just smile at you and wish you a good day. You don't have to be "vocal" to be a good Christian or Catholic. You just have to live the life you're given to the best of your ability.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:33 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Ah, but I am ashamed that your Catholic.
This statement says more about you than anything else.

What is so difficult in respecting other people's beliefs? If someone is muslim, jew, or atheist, I would never stoop to saying I am ashamed that you are >..___..<. As long as that person is happy in their faith, what does it matter to me? I am happy in mine.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by {Ukiaon} View Post
And moreover, the title of this thread and the spirit of it contains one of the things the Lord God hates...... PRIDE!!

That's strike one.
And judging others makes.... STRIKE TWO!

I took the OP's post to be one of, "even though people/media, etc try so hard to put down the catholic church, I am happy with being a Catholic", not one of being haughtry look down my nose, pride sort of thing.

But hey, you and I differ in how we perceive the intent of this thread.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:40 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
I kind-of assumed that'd be your retort, deflection. There might be some truth in it, but probably not universally so.

If it helps I find Martin Sheen admirable in many respects. Dorothy Day also seems to have been a fascinating and admirable woman. While Archbishop Romero was a modern-day hero in many ways. In politics Catholic Democrats Dan Boren, Raymond Flynn, James Langevin, and Jim Oberstar seem like good guys from what I can tell. I consider giving money to "Democrats for Life of America" despite having some Republican leanings. The protest of the "School of Americas" you mention sounds okay by me.

However I do think Catholicism is a religion rather than an ethnicity or a social welfare organization. So nuns, priests, etc who clearly go against longstanding principles of the Church are not good Catholics. That's true if they support laissez-faire capitalism or unrestricted abortion; Relativism or Jansenism.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:56 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
So the name calling and labeling begins
If you consider being compared to Nancy Pelosi name-calling I'll admit I'm glad to be wrong about you.

Or is it more the social/ethnic thing? Okay. If obedience, sin, and tradition do matter to you too then again I'm pleased to be wrong.

I just don't see how this would fit some of what you say. Do you believe in the Pope as the successor of St. Peter, transsubstantiation, rejection of women priests, and sodomy as a grave sin? That nuns or priests who differ on these views are heterodox as they're all beliefs continuous throughout Catholic tradition. (They can also be found in all forms of Eastern Orthodoxy I know of. Even on the Pope I'm pretty sure Eastern Orthodoxy recognizes him as the successor of Peter, just not as the leader of all Christians)

Old 07-19-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
You just have to live the life you're given to the best of your ability.
And oddly enough, that is what draws me to respect people. Some people love to shout from the rooftops *which is fine if that is what they feel compelled to do, or find fault with other faiths or denominations~ which is what I see a lot of on CDF.

Others, such as Morale Officer, lead a life that speaks a clearer message than anything else, particularly internet forum debaters. I have met maybe 5 people who really impress me with living their faith. One happened to be a catholic.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:37 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
This statement says more about you than anything else.

What is so difficult in respecting other people's beliefs? If someone is muslim, jew, or atheist, I would never stoop to saying I am ashamed that you are >..___..<. As long as that person is happy in their faith, what does it matter to me? I am happy in mine.
I don't think you understand. I am Roman Catholic. Ted? He is a believer of another offshoot church of Catholicism called the "The House of Ted". It's kind of like voodoo. It's a combination of catholicism and east coast liberalism combined to form a cocktail of abortion, contraception, and euthanasia mixed with a glass of wine and served with a host.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity