Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 05:55 PM

352 posts, read 552,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajeck View Post
Yah the book is definitely worth the read. However, the arguments he uses are very persuasive in my opinion. I am very skeptical about the Bible being really a book from God.

In my eyes those who reject the obvious contradictions in his book are similar to those who reject strong evidence for evolution and/or the actual age of the earth. They know the evidence is there.. some even say its pretty persuading... but in the end its cast it out because of a feeling or belief.
I would have to respectfully disagree about the accuracy of his arguments. Unfortunately, I haven't read the entire book, just a good bit of it, but none of his arguments are beyond refute (otherwise we wouldn't still have so many pastors, phds, and up and comers entering the ministry). For instance, in the clip he mentions the different things Jesus said during His crucifixion and how none of the gospels have Jesus saying the same thing twice; from a shallow perspective, it would seem contradicting. Yet one must agree that each gospel was written by a different author who undeniably incorporated elements from the other gospels into their writing; however, isn't also plausible that each author obtained different testimonies in regards to the crucifixion which means that the differences in each account stem from the different perspectives gathered from different testimonies? Just food for thought. Hopefully, I'll get to finish this book when things begin to settle down for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 05:59 PM

147 posts, read 312,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero777 View Post
I would have to respectfully disagree about the accuracy of his arguments. Unfortunately, I haven't read the entire book, just a good bit of it, but none of his arguments are beyond refute (otherwise we wouldn't still have so many pastors, phds, and up and comers entering the ministry). For instance, in the clip he mentions the different things Jesus said during His crucifixion and how none of the gospels have Jesus saying the same thing twice; from a shallow perspective, it would seem contradicting. Yet one must agree that each gospel was written by a different author who undeniably incorporated elements from the other gospels into their writing; however, isn't also plausible that each author obtained different testimonies in regards to the crucifixion which means that the differences in each account stem from the different perspectives gathered from different testimonies? Just food for thought. Hopefully, I'll get to finish this book when things begin to settle down for me.
The clip is a poor representation of the book it is mainly used as a teaser to get people to read the book. He also covers you question in the book. So i suggest you finish it up when you have the chance.

Also, I personally found his discussion on Caesar's census the most intriguing subject in the book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity