U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2009, 08:58 AM

11,238 posts, read 11,259,675 times

Advertisements

I'm contemplating hot and hard on much of this stuff being posted these days on UR. So bear with me as I offer a new twist, valid or invalid as it might turn out to be:

Someone commented that the prodigal son represents all of mankind ultimately being brought back into the fold. In the parable, however, notice one very important thing: the father did NOT go out looking for his wayward son. He waited patiently every day, watching for signs of him on the horizon. It was up to the son to finally come to the realization that he was in filth and lost forever unless he returned to his father and repented. Now how many of you parents out there, if you had a child who'd run away, wouldn't get out there and drive up and down every street in the city trying to find him/her? How much greater is God's love toward us than we to our own children, yet the in the parable the father felt constrained to go out and search for his son. Why? Wouldn't the perfect parallel of the parable to UR be something thus:

So the father mounted his donkey and went searching all over the countryside for his lost son. And, finding him in a pig sty covered with filth and gnawing on corn husks, he drew him out of the mire and said, "Come back home with me. I have found you and I am taking you back to where you belong." And, gently mounting him on his donkey, he guided the donkey carrying his half-starved son back to his house where he dressed him in robes and prepared a feast, saying, "My son, who was lost, is found!"

Maybe in God's perfect order, wayward children must respond to his calling; His Perfect Will does not allow Him to go out and drag them back against their will. If the son had not come to his own realization of his dire predicament, he would have stayed lost, would he not? That is the reality of the parable as Jesus told it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 09:02 AM

5,925 posts, read 5,837,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Maybe in God's perfect order, wayward children must respond to his calling; His Perfect Will does not allow Him to go out and drag them back against their will. If the son had not come to his own realization of his dire predicament, he would have stayed lost, would he not? That is the reality of the parable as Jesus told it.

The reality of the parable is that the son was lost and then was found, why is there a reality to him staying lost when there is no such explanation within it?

Old 07-19-2009, 09:06 AM

Well, in a perfect parallel to UR, wouldn't the father have gone out to hunt for his son? Why didn't he?

Old 07-19-2009, 09:16 AM

21,636 posts, read 30,244,343 times
Quote:
Well, in a perfect parallel to UR, wouldn't the father have gone out to hunt for his son? Why didn't he?
God never has to hunt for us, He always knows where we are.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:24 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,261,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
God never has to hunt for us, He always knows where we are.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:31 AM

Am I getting too "legalistic" and picky with this comparison?

Old 07-19-2009, 09:33 AM

5,925 posts, read 5,837,811 times
Quote:
My point wasn't that it is a perfect parallel to UR, I asked a question.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:02 AM

3,553 posts, read 4,471,008 times
Quote:
I'm contemplating hot and hard on much of this stuff being posted these days on UR. So bear with me as I offer a new twist, valid or invalid as it might turn out to be:

Someone commented that the prodigal son represents all of mankind ultimately being brought back into the fold. In the parable, however, notice one very important thing: the father did NOT go out looking for his wayward son. He waited patiently every day, watching for signs of him on the horizon. It was up to the son to finally come to the realization that he was in filth and lost forever unless he returned to his father and repented. Now how many of you parents out there, if you had a child who'd run away, wouldn't get out there and drive up and down every street in the city trying to find him/her? How much greater is God's love toward us than we to our own children, yet the in the parable the father felt constrained to go out and search for his son. Why? Wouldn't the perfect parallel of the parable to UR be something thus:

So the father mounted his donkey and went searching all over the countryside for his lost son. And, finding him in a pig sty covered with filth and gnawing on corn husks, he drew him out of the mire and said, "Come back home with me. I have found you and I am taking you back to where you belong." And, gently mounting him on his donkey, he guided the donkey carrying his half-starved son back to his house where he dressed him in robes and prepared a feast, saying, "My son, who was lost, is found!"

And I know you didn't come up with on your own. Praise the Spirit for the Gift of revealing it to you! Awesome post!

Old 07-19-2009, 10:05 AM

11,918 posts, read 14,141,141 times
Hi, I don't believe that it is a perfect parallel either but that it can show the Father's attitude towards the lost. He loved the prodigal son and welcomed him back. God loves sinners!! . I believe that God is actively working in the creation to restore all to Himself. The Son was sent to seek and save that which is lost. God knows the folly and consequences of sin and He set all forces into motion when He created all. He works all things according to the counsel of His own will, including our experiences, mistakes, rebellion, what is believed to be free will, ect. Also, we don't know whether or not the father in the story would have sent someone out to look for the son. But we do know that He was there and willing to take the son back when he returned, and rejoiced. God bless.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:47 AM

15,906 posts, read 8,167,734 times
The parable of the prodigal son is in a grouping of parables regarding the lost. The lost sheep, the lost coin, the lost son. Taken as a grouping, the concept of God seeking and finding is very much evident (see Lk 15:4-10). In the story of the prodigal son, I believe God gives us an important message as to the avenue He uses to draw people to Himself. He lets them go their own way and reap the consequences. When they reach the end of themselves, that's when their hearts are prepared to return to Him.

ETA: This is no different than I believed prior to coming to an understanding of UR. The only difference is that I now understand that God will do this for ALL people.

Last edited by Pleroo; 07-19-2009 at 11:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity