U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-23-2009, 06:49 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,343,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Alan, according to this link
....and another reason "soul sleep" is what im sticking with...:LOL

The site i learned of the term from is

http://www.diesdomini.com/Papers/Q_D...agisterial.pdf

(its the Papal Constitution: Benedictus Deus (1336)

and it was a hard time to dig out the word from the huge pile of words found there I did not understand...But basically what i take the meaning of the site to be talking about is that according to catholic teachings, the dead are alive and very, very busy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 06:53 PM

11,623 posts, read 9,023,507 times
Yes, that was a complicated article, but there is a difference between what is said to be "soul sleep" and the belief that the soul actually dies upon death. (referred to as sleep in the scriptures) They are not the same. I think that the JW's believe in the first but maybe not. God bless.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, that was a complicated article, but there is a difference between what is said to be "soul sleep" and the belief that the soul actually dies upon death. (referred to as sleep in the scriptures) They are not the same. I think that the JW's believe in the first. God bless.
I know the JWs don't believe in an everlasting Hell.
They believe the souls of the lost die and thats the end of the story.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:00 PM

7,374 posts, read 4,401,189 times
Quote:
I believe (and this just came to me because I always saw this as being figurative preaching to the spirits in prison, and it still could be) that Jesus preached to these spirits at a later time. (whoever they were) Some say that He preached to these spirits when He was in the grave, meaning to me that He wasn't really dead, but I believe that this happened after His resurrection and ascension. I believe that His spirit returned at the resurrection and after He rose again, He then preached to them at a later time. This passage does not say. Just some thinking out loud praying for understanding. Is there another reference for this? God bless.
No other place in the bible that i know of talks about this. I imagine that, the way the author of Hebrew's whoever it may have been refers to the subject, it must have been a common teaching in his day. However we seemed to a lost the specifics of it throughout the centuries.Perhaps some of the early church fathers had more to say on the issue but i really cant say. Worthy of further investigation for certain.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:00 PM

Okay from what I see the JW's believe that the soul dies upon death and the 7th Day Ad's believe that the soul is unconscious. God bless.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:01 PM

and there is more....

Taken from a website on this topic-

"In Christian theology, soul sleep is a belief that the soul sleeps unconsciously between the deathbody and its resurrection on Judgment Day. Soul sleep is also known as psychopannychism..."

Now just look at that word for a moment...
"
Psychopannychism"???

It looks like a word made up of parts left over from other words...

I would love to see it show up on Wheel Of Fortune one time,
just to see the look on everyone's faces...

Old 07-23-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
No other place in the bible that i know of talks about this. I imagine that, the way the author of Hebrew's whoever it may have been refers to the subject, it must have been a common teaching in his day. However we seemed to a lost the specifics of it throughout the centuries.Perhaps some of the early church fathers had more to say on the issue but i really cant say. Worthy of further investigation for certain.
I think so, Ironmaw. I have always heard the interpretation that the preaching took place when Jesus was "dead" but the scriptures do not say. God bless.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Psychopannychism"???

Try to pronounce it!

God bless.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:07 PM

1,390 posts, read 1,416,907 times
Quote:
Okay, lifesigns, I asked if you believe that the soul is asleep when we die or that the soul actually dies. I am asking because there is a difference between the two beliefs. I believe that the term "soul sleep" refers to the first case. (I think is what JW's believe) The second case refers to the soul being actually dead but that this is referred to as "sleep" because death is not permanent. Does this make sense? Thanks and God bless.

Okay, don't have any Jehovah Witness friends, but I do have a biological mother who I just spoke with a few times in the last few years, but we did not get into any faith or doctrine conversations at length, as there were other things we needed to speak of that were greatly important to me.

I believe that for the born again believer, Christ beat death, immortality at the cross.

I believe number two . . the second choice . . . that the body and soul are dead, and that because this is not permanent we say sleep.

Okay . . . . so then I guess I don't believe in the soul sleep the Seventh Day adventists or JW's believe . . . . but the 2nd choice . . . and the name for that is???????????? Just what I think is scriptural, I guess.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:12 PM

Okay, well that's what I believe lifesigns but somewhere it has been termed thnetopsychism? (that is worse that the psych word) (I think that's it, although I am not sure of other things assoc. with it)

I 'll just say that I believe that the scriptures teach that the soul/body are dead until the resurrection!!

God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity