U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-01-2009, 11:24 AM

229 posts, read 155,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
So if I understand you right, you're basically saying that some doctrine determines whether you're a Christian or not, that would seen a little strange to me because first I would question who determines that doctrine and by whose authority.
Yes thats what I meant, and I agree with what you said

For example, christian universalists are not recognized as true christians because they don't adhere to the orthodox doctrines, in fact many of them have been banned and oestrasized from their churches and labeled as heretics because they believe in the final restoration of all mankind to God.

I always personally thought that a christian meant someone that accepted Christ as lord and saviour and was christlike, the trouble is there are just so many viewpoints and very little unity and harmony, it's extremely hard to see through the mist, and people are not very open to change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 11:36 AM

9,971 posts, read 6,187,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonminnie View Post
Yes thats what I meant, and I agree with what you said

For example, christian universalists are not recognized as true christians because they don't adhere to the orthodox doctrines, in fact many of them have been banned and oestrasized from their churches and labeled as heretics because they believe in the final restoration of all mankind to God.

I always personally thought that a christian meant someone that accepted Christ as lord and saviour and was christlike, the trouble is there are just so many viewpoints and very little unity and harmony, it's extremely hard to see through the mist, and people are not very open to change
Then I guess this all goes back to the time of Emperor Constantine when he united Rome and had Christianity declared as its official religion at which point the Roman Catholic Church got its authority from a pagan emperor and then sometime in the 1500s when Martin Luther started the Reformation and started a separate denomination of Christianity,you know,I would still question that authority and by whose authority it was given to them.You see as a nonbeliever I have always been told,like yourself,that in order to be a Christian you had to have a belief that this man named Jesus was your messiah and savior and that was all that was required of you,is that not what their sacred book says. I didn't know there were so many different conditions attached to that.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:31 PM

18,178 posts, read 8,266,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
Saved from what?
Myself the big I , the old man with it's sinful nature . Traslanted from darkness into His glorious light.

I am not saved from damnation nor saved so i can go to heaven . Saved by faith in His Grace ,so that i can approach the throne of Grace {that is in me}boldly by a new and Living way . Saved so that the Lord can reach the Lost through me .

Old 08-01-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Then I guess this all goes back to the time of Emperor Constantine when he united Rome and had Christianity declared as its official religion at which point the Roman Catholic Church got its authority from a pagan emperor and then sometime in the 1500s when Martin Luther started the Reformation and started a separate denomination of Christianity,you know,I would still question that authority and by whose authority it was given to them.You see as a nonbeliever I have always been told,like yourself,that in order to be a Christian you had to have a belief that this man named Jesus was your messiah and savior and that was all that was required of you,is that not what their sacred book says. I didn't know there were so many different conditions attached to that.
ptsum

As far as i'm concerned there is no conditions , it's faith in His Grace alone.
The moment you believe the Lord becomes a reality in your life and He not us begins the process of us being changed into His likeness.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
ptsum

As far as i'm concerned there is no conditions , it's faith in His Grace alone.
The moment you believe the Lord becomes a reality in your life and He not us begins the process of us being changed into His likeness.
Well, isn't this the way it should be for all Christians ? Did this man Jesus demand certain conditions in order for you to believe that he was your Messiah and Savior, did he not offer his love to all with no conditions attached and is that not the basis for your belief ?

Old 08-01-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Well, isn't this the way it should be for all Christians ? Did this man Jesus demand certain conditions in order for you to believe that he was your Messiah and Savior, did he not offer his love to all with no conditions attached and is that not the basis for your belief ?
Yes without a shadow of doubt

Old 08-01-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Yes without a shadow of doubt
Hmmm, then it would seem to me that some Christians are trying to oversimplify things and maybe they're getting away from the original teachings of your Messiah and Savior. You see what I don't understand is the fact that this man Jesus went about his land teaching his people about a peaceful way of getting along with one another and somewhere along the way, it would seem that those teachings got lost or misinterpreted.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:08 PM

3,773 posts, read 6,613,930 times
Quote:
Hmmm, then it would seem to me that some Christians are trying to oversimplify things and maybe they're getting away from the original teachings of your Messiah and Savior. You see what I don't understand is the fact that this man Jesus went about his land teaching his people about a peaceful way of getting along with one another and somewhere along the way, it would seem that those teachings got lost or misinterpreted.
That is because man started making up his own religions and doctrines.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
I also agree with you on this point ptsum. Unfortunately we grade each other on a curve rather than accepting Chirist as He accepted us.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
That is because man started making up his own religions and doctrines.
You mean like Christianity and Islam. Both of these were made by man, this man Jesus was not a Christian nor was he a Muslim and yet both of these religions seem to have some basis on his teachings and it would seem that both of them have gotten away from his teachings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity