Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 07:01 AM

1,711 posts, read 1,902,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Here's an interesting writing by Gregory of Nyssa showing that he also believed in reconciliation of all.

Treatise on 1 Corinthians 15:28 by Gregory of Nyssa

The top part is commentary on the treatise and not the writing of Gregory... you have to scroll down to "The Treatise" to get to Gregory's treatise.

God bless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 07:21 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,030,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
No God doesnt desire all men without exception to be saved, for if He did, He would not have created some for Hell.., vessels of wrath..being fitted for destruction..
Beloved, who is responsible for those that would go to your hell?

Paul

Old 07-28-2009, 07:27 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,030,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
God desires the Salvation of all sorts and types of men..but He created some men and women for damanation, vessels of wrath, fitted for destruction..
Beloved, your under condemnation right now! You were born of the seed of Adam and thus your of the body of Adam and under the JUDGEMENT that was passed upon him. You are born with the stain of his sin and thus a sinner the very moment your born and you will reap the condemnation that Adam was sentenced to which is to toil and die. That is what everyone that is of the body of Adam shall reap. The only way to escape that condemnation is to not be born of Adam's seed which comes via the flesh.

Paul

Old 07-28-2009, 07:34 AM

14,882 posts, read 17,156,182 times
Quote:
Essentially, the people were lied to "for their own good". Teaching eternal torment brought more converts than teaching the truth I guess. It didn't help that the Roman Empire was using Christianity as a political tool.
Right legoman.

Quote:

Thank you for the link, TKC. God bless.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
General as was the confession of a belief in universal salvation in the church's first and best three centuries, there is ample reason the believe that it was the secret belief of more than gave expression to it, and that many a one who proclaimed a partial salvation, in his secret "heart of heart" agreed with the greatest of the church's fathers during the first four hundred years of our era, that Christ would achieve a universal triumph, and that God would ultimately reign in all hearts.
Chapter 4 - Doctrines of Mitigation and of Reserve

God bless.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:20 AM

257 posts, read 443,942 times
I have more peace about hell now than ever before. My experience with universalist, has helped to bring about that peace!

The honest reason is, I fully understand why GOD will cast the souls of universalist into a burning hell. They truely deserve to be there. So now I have far more peace about the fact of hell than ever.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:25 AM

More notes:
Quote:

Augustine (354-430 A.D.), 'one of the four great Latin Church Fathers (Augustine, Ambrose, Jerome and Gregory the Great), wrote:
“There are very many in our day, who though not denying the Holy Scriptures, do not believe in endless torments

Eusebius of Caesarea lived from 265 to 340 A.D. He was the Bishop of Caesarea in Palestine and a friend of Constantine, great Emperor of Rome. His commentary of Psalm II says:
“The Son 'breaking in pieces" His enemies is for the sake of remolding them, as a potter his own work; as Jemniah 18;6 says: i.e., to restore them once again to their former state

Jerome, who revised the old Latin Translations and translated the Old Testament from Hebrew into Latin, lived from 340 to 420 A.D. In his comments on Zephaniah 3:8-10 he says:
“The nations are gathered to the Judgment, that on them may be poured out an the wrath of the fury of the Lord, and this in pity and with a design to heal.... in order that every one may return to the confession of the Lord, that in Jesus’ Name every knee may bow, and every tongue may confess that He is Lord. All God's enemies shall perish, not that they cease to exist, but cease to be enemies

The Reformer Martin Luther had hope for all. In his letter to Hanseu Von Rechenberg in 1522, Luther wrote:
“God forbid that I should limit the time of acquiring faith to the present life. In the depth of the Divine mercy there may be opportunity to win it in the future.”

The Church Fathers Testify To The Ultimate Triumph Of Jesus Christ. (http://www.gtft.org/Library/miscellaneous/ChurchFathers.htm - broken link)

God bless.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:28 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,128,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForHimByHim View Post
I have more peace about hell now than ever before. My experience with universalist, has helped to bring about that peace!

The honest reason is, I fully understand why GOD will cast the souls of universalist into a burning hell. They truely deserve to be there. So now I have far more peace about the fact of hell than ever.
Honestly this saddens me.

I believe in God. I believe He gave his only son, to die for our sins. I believe Jesus Christ has saved me. I believe God has lead (and is leading) me towards repentance.

But I also believe Jesus also died for everyone else in the world. I believe God is capable of repeating this process of salvation & repentance for every single individual in the world. All will bow and confess before Him that He is Lord. God will reconcile all things to Himself through Christ, and God will have all men to be saved.

Based on this, you think I will be burning in hell, and you are comfortable with that?!?

Old 07-28-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
the Greek word "aion," which meant "age," was translated into the Latin Vulgate as "aeternum" and "seculum." This was a serious mistake which also corrupted our English translations. This error was instrumental in changing the doctrine of the early Christians who believed that punishment was confined to "age." The Latin church, filled with unconverted pagans, separated themselves from the original languages and secluded themselves into the corrupted Latin Vulgate and began to teach what the pagan religions had taught for centuries--eternal torment. I have much information about this. If you want to learn, I'll be happy to send it to you.
Professor and historian Henry Nutcomb Oxenham informs us that the, "Doctrine of endless punishment was not believed at all by some of the holiest and wisest of the Fathers, and was not taught as an integral part of the Christian faith by any even of those who believed it as an opinion."
One of the ways of verifying this is to look at the earliest Christian creeds. None of them mention "eternal torment" as the final punishment of the wicked or unbelievers.
Historian Pfaff says: "The ultimate restoration of the lost was an opinion held by very many Jewish teachers, and some of the Fathers" (frag. anec.).
The Early Christian View of the Savior

God bless.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:39 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForHimByHim View Post

Peace about Hell, it takes hatred to do that in which it then causes a contradiction to scripture and Gods character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity