U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-29-2009, 12:06 PM

6,945 posts, read 7,117,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Could the "fruit" in this context mean preching the gospel correctly, accurately?
Start at verse 13, and that's exactly what he's referring to. To those who say, "You're in! No acceptance on your part needed!", it's a declaration that those are out there - they're called Unitarians.

God is a consuming fire - for everyone.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 12:30 PM

3,552 posts, read 2,888,285 times
Quote:
I understand that but what about the context of this verse entitled "false and true teaching"? Do you still see it as that?

Yes I do. I see it starting with the family with the man as the head of the house. I see it as the man in submission to Jesus as his King, and keeping the doctrines of biblical living. And then teaching them to his family(fruit).

When the head of the household is not teaching his children(fruit) godly living, then the fruit are bad, and then the tree is bad starting with the head of the house. Unto the 3 and 4th generations, until the tree is made whole again.

When the tree is bearing good fruit, then the fruit of the tree will continue to produce good fruit.

So, yes, I understand what it is saying, and it should be a wake up call to those who profess to know the King.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:39 PM

2,933 posts, read 2,132,578 times
What I think is that there is an emphasis on not only hearing what Jesus says, there is a need for doing what Jesus teaches - the start of the passage is judge, not lest you be judged - and do unto others as you would have them to do you, then he says there are wolves in sheeps clothing, I think this means that if what people teach and what they do are not in line we are to be wary about what they are teaching, Wolves in sheep's clothing speaks of deception - saying one thing, doing another.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:48 PM

18,950 posts, read 9,012,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
What I think is that there is an emphasis on not only hearing what Jesus says, there is a need for doing what Jesus teaches - the start of the passage is judge, not lest you be judged - and do unto others as you would have them to do you, then he says there are wolves in sheeps clothing, I think this means that if what people teach and what they do are not in line we are to be wary about what they are teaching, Wolves in sheep's clothing speaks of deception - saying one thing, doing another.
Yes Meerkat i believe this is what it means.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:19 PM

5,496 posts, read 2,761,059 times
Quote:
People what is meant by "fruit"?
Works!

Paul

Old 07-29-2009, 03:32 PM

7,374 posts, read 4,269,124 times
Hmmm ... The bible tells us what the fruits of the spirit are. And by contrast we know(and are told in scripture) what the fruits of iniquity are. I believe what is referred to here by the analogy of "fruit" is the spiritual condition or disposition.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:43 PM

68 posts, read 88,871 times
k

Old 07-29-2009, 03:55 PM

68 posts, read 88,871 times
Right, our personaility shows and that will produce good fruit, such as how I live will either bring people to Christ or it will push people away. If you are just some one that is a false christain then they will produce false christain friends. If a person serve christ not like the scribe did they will become good fruit. Good fruit and bad fruit don't mix thats why they have to be seperated. You can't serve two gods you have to choose

Old 07-29-2009, 05:15 PM

7,172 posts, read 9,707,409 times
Quote:
Could the "fruit" in this context mean preching the gospel correctly, accurately?
no

Old 07-30-2009, 06:05 PM

3,540 posts, read 4,176,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Hmmm ... The bible tells us what the fruits of the spirit are. And by contrast we know(and are told in scripture) what the fruits of iniquity are. I believe what is referred to here by the analogy of "fruit" is the spiritual condition or disposition.
I agree.
But is the "fruit" actually the consequence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity