Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 12:10 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Lets say I stole and never got caught, but before God I knew it was wrong, asked forgiveness and truly never did it again my whole life.

But after genuinly repenting of stealing in which I rightfully turned from that sin and God knew I would never do it again.

Show chapter and verse where I am required to go admit to someone that it was me who stole from them.
I never said it was a requirement. However, I do believe that if you are genuinely repentant, you will want to make the wrong right. For example, we might be verbally abusive to a fellow worker and a week later feel genuine repentance for that act asking God for forgiveness. We feel the need to make things right with that person but on their way to work that day they are killed in a vehicle accident. Does this make my forgiveness from God any less valid...I think not. Sometimes we are not able to make our wrongs right but I do believe that truly repentant people will try to if they are able.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 01:20 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,943,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I never said it was a requirement. However, I do believe that if you are genuinely repentant, you will want to make the wrong right. For example, we might be verbally abusive to a fellow worker and a week later feel genuine repentance for that act asking God for forgiveness. We feel the need to make things right with that person but on their way to work that day they are killed in a vehicle accident. Does this make my forgiveness from God any less valid...I think not. Sometimes we are not able to make our wrongs right but I do believe that truly repentant people will try to if they are able.

ok, so, where is the example of Paul, righting his wrongs?

Old 09-16-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
ok, so, where is the example of Paul, righting his wrongs?
I'm curious...why are trying to cause controversy where there is none?

Old 09-16-2009, 01:49 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,943,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I'm curious...why are trying to cause controversy where there is none?
Why do you believe there is no controversy?

I responded to a claim made by another poster. The claim does not fit the account of Saul / Paul , so why is that?

Old 09-16-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Why do you believe there is no controversy?
There is no controversy because whether or not he righted his wrongs is irrelevant to us. He may have made some type of restitution to the people he injured, he may not have ...we are not given that information. We are accountable to God for the things that we do and don't do, not what others do or don't do. So how is this relevant to us and our walk?

Old 09-16-2009, 03:06 PM

81 posts, read 181,406 times
Matthew 18:15-17 (New International Version)

A Brother Who Sins Against You

15"If your brother sins against you,[a] go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. 16But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that 'every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.'[b] 17If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

Footnotes:
  1. <LI id=fen-NIV-23741a>Matthew 18:15 Some manuscripts do not have against you.
  2. Matthew 18:16 Deut. 19:15

Old 09-16-2009, 03:07 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
Quote:
The scriptural sentiment that I see supports my objection to the poster. If we ask for forgivness and God remembers it no more, does that then mean we should still expect punishment in order to be a Christian?
Unbelievers don't ask for forgiveness..unbelievers make themself or something else a god other than the true God.

Punishment isn't limited to just our time while alive, nor is it only physical death...

Matthew 10:28
"Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell."

This Jesus speaking. It not my theory or doctrine. If Jesus warns, its because there's a very good reason (could it be because He's God.)

Why can't all of Jesus' words be applicable...hum Could it be that with denying God right to hold accountable unbelief (John 3:36) comes a salvation of your own making...a religion of no absolutes.. degenerating God's justice to a level equivalent to bunch of 60's flower power hippies..

Moderator cut: copywrite violation

Last edited by Miss Blue; 09-16-2009 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: you have to be sure any images you post are not copywrites

Old 09-16-2009, 03:10 PM

Luke 6:31 (New International Version)

31Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:19 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
Thank you, now how do we apply this knowledge in general in the spirit of the comment I replied to.

In the sentiment that indeed these passages represent genuine repentance, where does other bible characters fit?

Paul did what to prove genuine repentance in the same manner?

Paul served the Lord, what about all the people he persecuted? Should have he willfully submitted himself to authorities, served the families of those he persecuted?

And what about his statment concerning the things he did do, he said it was not him, but sin.
I personally believe that Paul probably suffered far greater for his faith because of his being forgiven which increased his faith. Was his persecution of others the reason he suffered? Not necessarily but then again in his fervor to show the truth of Jesus' message he intimidated more leaders. Therefore, it is not that he wasn't forgiven but perhaps when dealing with our own conscience there are some works involved.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:29 PM

Unitarian Universalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good artical

btw, for some reason (God only knows) Universalism is mentioned in Walter Martin's "Kingdom of the Cults"

Very good read!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity