Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 03:21 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm not arrogant enough to suggest that I can say what God wants. There are plenty of those folks in this world....but I'm not one of them. I'd rather stick by what he has told us.
If you're sticking by what he told you, you're saying you know what he wants(says).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 07:17 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Default Failure to question scripture makes God a liar and Christians disobedient

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
So in other words, it is proof God wrote the Bible because he contradicts himself?

I have never had God contradict himself in answering my prayers.
Except when you start "explaining" the contradictions the original book no longer exists, and instead one has the Bible according to YOU.

There are over 5700 manuscripts of just the NT from the first through the fourth centuries. Not a single original. And in those 5700+ manuscripts exists hundreds of thousands of errors or mistakes or additions or deletions. There are literally more of those than there are words in the NT.

And some of them are extremely important.

If you read a later dated manuscript of Mark, the sixteenth chapter, verses 9-20 are present, so one would think that as a believer you could pick up snakes or drink deadly poison with no ill effects. But if you read EARLIER manuscripts of Mark 16, verses 9-20 are missing.

So what happened? Several hundred copies after the original version God decided to add a postscript?
Or the original contained those verses and the earliest copiers left them out but later copyists were inspired to add them back in?
So which translation do you follow? KJV because it always had those verses mainly for making their translation from one of the worst Septuagint Greek copies? Or the English Standard Version which leaves those verses out but footnotes that some later manuscripts included them?

God didn't write the Bible. Believing Christians did. Believing copyists made additions and sometimes deletions to promote their own understanding of God and Jesus.

Even the early prophets recognized the role of scribes in "falsifying" the scripture, and warned against taking anything penned to seriously or risk being deceived.
Jeremiah 8:8 NIV--
"How can you say, 'We are wise, for we have the law of the Lord,' when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely."

That's why real Christians have to "dig" through the scripture with eyes of faith and discernment to find the thread of truth within in it. Failure to question scripture leads inerrantists to believe they are "wise" as quoted above--and if that prophet is correct, even God thinks only an idiot would read the scripture without questioning whether or not a lying scribe had altered it in some fashion.

P.S. Did I just write this in response to a post of four years ago? See what happens when you make assumptions about writing without discernment!

Old 11-19-2013, 07:26 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Without God's word, people are basically on their own finding their way to heaven. Good Luck with that. Jesus made it very clear that if we are going to find our way, we need to be guided by His word.

Mt 7:24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. Mt 7:25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.
Mt 7:26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. Mt 7:27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

Old 11-19-2013, 07:38 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Without God's word, people are basically on their own finding their way to heaven. Good Luck with that. Jesus made it very clear that if we are going to find our way, we need to be guided by His word.

Mt 7:24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. Mt 7:25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.
Mt 7:26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. Mt 7:27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.â€

You are using the Bible to prove the Bible.

I think the Bible has too much imperfection to be the word of God. I think the Bible is the interpretation of MAN regarding God. However, it is a great guide to Christianity.

Lastly, God has no intentions to trick us or to make us jump through hoops. What kind of view of God is that?

Old 11-19-2013, 12:46 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Except when you start "explaining" the contradictions the original book no longer exists, and instead one has the Bible according to YOU.

There are over 5700 manuscripts of just the NT from the first through the fourth centuries. Not a single original. And in those 5700+ manuscripts exists hundreds of thousands of errors or mistakes or additions or deletions. There are literally more of those than there are words in the NT.

And some of them are extremely important.

If you read a later dated manuscript of Mark, the sixteenth chapter, verses 9-20 are present, so one would think that as a believer you could pick up snakes or drink deadly poison with no ill effects. But if you read EARLIER manuscripts of Mark 16, verses 9-20 are missing.

So what happened? Several hundred copies after the original version God decided to add a postscript?
Or the original contained those verses and the earliest copiers left them out but later copyists were inspired to add them back in?
So which translation do you follow? KJV because it always had those verses mainly for making their translation from one of the worst Septuagint Greek copies? Or the English Standard Version which leaves those verses out but footnotes that some later manuscripts included them?

God didn't write the Bible. Believing Christians did. Believing copyists made additions and sometimes deletions to promote their own understanding of God and Jesus.

Even the early prophets recognized the role of scribes in "falsifying" the scripture, and warned against taking anything penned to seriously or risk being deceived.
Jeremiah 8:8 NIV--
"How can you say, 'We are wise, for we have the law of the Lord,' when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely."

That's why real Christians have to "dig" through the scripture with eyes of faith and discernment to find the thread of truth within in it. Failure to question scripture leads inerrantists to believe they are "wise" as quoted above--and if that prophet is correct, even God thinks only an idiot would read the scripture without questioning whether or not a lying scribe had altered it in some fashion.

P.S. Did I just write this in response to a post of four years ago? See what happens when you make assumptions about writing without discernment!
Excellent post, warden . . .but I can't rep you yet.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:59 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Excellent post, warden . . .but I can't rep you yet.
Clap and rejoice now.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:08 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Without God's word, people are basically on their own finding their way to heaven.
And that is what they want. If it isn't true and a valid guide then ....... they can do anything THEY think is "good".

KJV Proverbs 16:2 All the ways of a man are clean in his own eyes; but the LORD weigheth the spirits.

KJV Proverbs 30:12 There is a generation that are pure in their own eyes, and yet is not washed from their filthiness.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:39 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Most

Old 11-20-2013, 12:27 AM

376 posts, read 419,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
God didn't write the Bible.
That's hard to prove without the original writings. In theory the originals could have been without the most tiny flaw and starting from that point on errors crept in or were even purposely added to promote doctrine.

Quote:
Believing copyists made additions and sometimes deletions to promote their own understanding of God and Jesus.
Agreed.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:25 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:

Mt 7:26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. Mt 7:27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”
Christianity is not about finding our way to heaven. It is heaven finding its way in us. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity