U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-09-2009, 05:59 PM

6,758 posts, read 7,178,701 times

Advertisements

Are there any groups or denominations that believe in the love of God and the forgiveness of Christ, but do not think the Bible is a word for word literal message from God?

I realize some will say that without scripture for proof, belief is impossible. But after growing up in Baptist churches and feeling the presence of God and the love of Christ, I have always felt that my beliefs and feelings were affirmed spiritually when I was in prayer, when I was thinking of the love of God, and when I have thought of the forgiveness of Christ.

As for the Bible, I do think it is a valid "guide" to go by. But its pretty impossible to believe it is 100% "God's word". If after 20 years of reading it, praying over it, discussing it with others, etc., it still does not seem to make sense half of the time, why should I spend the rest of my life constantly rereading, studying, buying books to study it, etc. when all it does is lead to more questions, more conflicts, etc?

In contrast, when I am in prayer, I am at peace. I gain understanding, I feel love and forgiveness, and I come away with clarity. It seems to me that the same God that people had access to through prayer in biblical times is still very much present and available to me and my family for prayer now. While I don't find the Bible unnecessary, I feel that for most churches it has become God. My wife feels very similar as well.

Are there other Christians out there that feel the presence and love of God, but feel a total disconnect when going to churches where the bible is to be taken word for word, or sometimes when reading confusing, conflicting scriptures?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 07:11 PM

23,170 posts, read 11,372,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
In contrast, when I am in prayer, I am at peace. I gain understanding, I feel love and forgiveness, and I come away with clarity. It seems to me that the same God that people had access to through prayer in biblical times is still very much present and available to me and my family for prayer now. While I don't find the Bible unnecessary, I feel that for most churches it has become God. My wife feels very similar as well.

Are there other Christians out there that feel the presence and love of God, but feel a total disconnect when going to churches where the bible is to be taken word for word, or sometimes when reading confusing, conflicting scriptures?
There are many here in CD, TX . . . the fundamentalist literalist Churchians and Bibleans have rejected the proof of Jesus's character as revealing the TRUE NATURE of God and choose to misinterpret and misunderstand God using the flawed and primitive understanding of those who came before Jesus. Christians follow Jesus and use his example of unconditional love for all of us as their filter when reading the bible to mature their souls spiritually . . . NOT use rote memorization and reading of human interpretations to remain obedient "pets" doing all the appropriate "tricks" to please their master.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:39 PM

136 posts, read 114,166 times
I believe the words of the Bible are inspired, however some of my greatest lessons have come during stressful times.
If I treat others with kindness and love, I don't necessarily need the Bible word for word. God is Love how can one go wrong when you treat others as you would want to be treated?

John 14:26

26]But the Comforter, who is the Holy Spirit and whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things,6 and bring all things to your remembrance — whatever I have said to you.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:11 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,362,270 times
The moment you reject the Bible you reject God...the two are so linked that they are in effect the same...
The Bible testifies to the truth of Christ.
A person can not reject that testimony and yet remain within the Christian community...

Now this is not to say that there are not ways God can reach out to you becides the Text of the Bible.
But what you will find is that God will not, and "can not" reach out to you by other means that go against the word and faith as given in the Bible.

There is no "other" path to salvation...

Old 08-09-2009, 08:27 PM

136 posts, read 114,166 times
I believe the Bible is inspired, but also believe God can reach you without knowing the Bible word for word.

John 5

39. Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 40. And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.
Scriptures testify!

Old 08-09-2009, 08:31 PM

1,333 posts, read 1,909,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
The moment you reject the Bible you reject God
Couldn't have said it better.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:36 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,362,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
Couldn't have said it better.
Im always right about this stuff....

Old 08-09-2009, 08:48 PM

193 posts, read 167,881 times
is there a particular translation your commenting on?

Old 08-09-2009, 09:12 PM

12,398 posts, read 15,045,437 times
I am a non literal Bible Christian also..I spent years and years of studying the bible along with all the translations, commentaries, notes, etc..I was getting nowhere as close to Him as I desired and the religion of man was too burdened down with rules, laws, and rituals I had to perform in order to come closer to Christ and for Him to accept me...Religion was teaching me that I was unworthy of God love and grace unless I did this and that.. It just didn't make sense to me, when Christ said "My yoke is easy and my burden is light"..

Finally I realized that I was relying on mans wisdom and interpretations of scripture..In a moment of personal desperation and having no one to depend on ,He let me know that I could depend on Him..I prayed that the Holy Spirit would be my guide, my teacher, my comforter, and that He would be my interpreter..I asked that He remove all of mans teachings and religions from my mind, heart and soul and lead me through the scriptures as a child teaching me. A peace like none other began to consume me as I read once more the 4 gospels of the birth, death and resurrection of Christ, and I began to understand the personal message of Him and that was love, (unconditional) forgiveness, charity and to treat others as I want to be treated..

I pray that I never go back to my old ways of jumping through hoops to please the Lord..

James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:19 PM

6,758 posts, read 7,178,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
The moment you reject the Bible you reject God...the two are so linked that they are in effect the same...
The Bible testifies to the truth of Christ.
A person can not reject that testimony and yet remain within the Christian community...

Now this is not to say that there are not ways God can reach out to you becides the Text of the Bible.
But what you will find is that God will not, and "can not" reach out to you by other means that go against the word and faith as given in the Bible.

There is no "other" path to salvation...
Since you are saying that I am rejecting God when I said I believe in God, can you explain why I find peace, clarity, and God's love and presence through prayer, yet when I try to seek it through the Bible, I do not find peace and understanding?

Also, I didn't say the Bible is useless or that I don't believe any of it. I said I believe it is a good guide, and I am sure that much wisdom that was inspired by God found its way into the Bible. It just seems pretty simple that prayer to God is much more direct, clear, and peaceful and that a very fulfilling relationship with Him is very possible through mostly prayer and far less reliance on a confusing book full of contradictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity