U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-24-2009, 11:26 AM
 
1,703 posts, read 3,560,687 times
Reputation: 1048

Advertisements

The one smart thing alan did say was that a Christian marriage goes both ways. mseliz, it doesn't sound like your husband is being very Christian in his heart. A Christian would not have the desire in his heart to kill someone or even seriously hurt someone.
I do not know your situation and I do not condone divorce at all. I myself have gone through a hard time where I could have easily left (in fact other people kinda thought I should) and didn't. I do not think God condone's divorce in most situations but I do believe there are "deal breakers" and I also believe God wants us to be happy and wants us to have joy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-24-2009, 10:43 PM
 
3,067 posts, read 2,363,031 times
Reputation: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
there are "deal breakers" .
Open the Bible and find the list of things wherein God will permit a christian to get a divorce....
I challenge you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2009, 10:47 PM
 
3,067 posts, read 2,363,031 times
Reputation: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Do what your heart tells you to do and not your ego.
The heart is a fools rudder...
If you want to give a Christian some good advice, give advice that is supported by the Bible, so that the person can look at what you say and then got check it out in the Bible to make sure what you say is correct.

Point them to the text....tell them to listen to the text and it will lead them to doing the right thing...


However if a person does not point a christian back to the bible, well there is a reason for that too.
That reason is that their advice is wrong, and will lead the other person to sin.

By turning the person away from the Bible you build a wall between them and their Lord....and that too is a sin to do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2009, 07:13 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis
4,325 posts, read 3,386,346 times
Reputation: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
The heart is a fools rudder...
If you want to give a Christian some good advice, give advice that is supported by the Bible, so that the person can look at what you say and then got check it out in the Bible to make sure what you say is correct.

Point them to the text....tell them to listen to the text and it will lead them to doing the right thing...


However if a person does not point a christian back to the bible, well there is a reason for that too.
That reason is that their advice is wrong, and will lead the other person to sin.

By turning the person away from the Bible you build a wall between them and their Lord....and that too is a sin to do
The bible is meant to be used as a GUIDE. The heart is where truth lies and not the mind. I'm sure your bible tells you that. If not, then maybe you should look in another book.

My responses were based on LIFE experience and nothing in this world is better than that, not even the bible. When I listened to my mind or ego, it wanted to stay in the comfort zone of the abuse. When I finally listened to my heart, I moved ABOVE the abusive relationship and found true love, my soulmate. If I had listened to my mind, I would be a miserable, rundown, abused old person.

Your bible has some good points in it, however, I believe that it also has some bad points.
As Jesus once told us, "If you have tried everything to mend the marriage and there is still no love, then divorce is the best route to follow. Find love and remarry". Of course you won't find that in the bible however, He believes in Love and love conquers all.

My responses do not turn people away from what they believe in already. They are my own thoughts and beliefs based on life and what I have been taught. If she wants to adhere to the bible, nothing I say will deter her from that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2009, 09:10 AM
 
1,703 posts, read 3,560,687 times
Reputation: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
Open the Bible and find the list of things wherein God will permit a christian to get a divorce....
I challenge you...
You yourself said that a Christian marriage goes both ways? Do you consider abuse to be Christian? I'm just trying to understand your way of thinking here. It seriously sounds like you are saying a women should stay in a marriage no matter what?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2009, 09:29 AM
 
12 posts, read 13,358 times
Reputation: 14
That is precisely what he is saying. So if a woman was beaten within an inch of her life by her husband, she should get her butt up off the floor and make him dinner! That's loving him unconditionally for sure!
Call me crazy, but I don't believe in that, and if that makes me a non-Christian, so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2009, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,121 posts, read 57,026,781 times
Reputation: 38349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
The bible is meant to be used as a GUIDE. The heart is where truth lies and not the mind. I'm sure your bible tells you that. If not, then maybe you should look in another book.

My responses were based on LIFE experience and nothing in this world is better than that, not even the bible. When I listened to my mind or ego, it wanted to stay in the comfort zone of the abuse. When I finally listened to my heart, I moved ABOVE the abusive relationship and found true love, my soulmate. If I had listened to my mind, I would be a miserable, rundown, abused old person.

Your bible has some good points in it, however, I believe that it also has some bad points.
As Jesus once told us, "If you have tried everything to mend the marriage and there is still no love, then divorce is the best route to follow. Find love and remarry". Of course you won't find that in the bible however, He believes in Love and love conquers all.

My responses do not turn people away from what they believe in already. They are my own thoughts and beliefs based on life and what I have been taught. If she wants to adhere to the bible, nothing I say will deter her from that.

There really are no bad Bibles, only really bad interpretations of the Bible by some misguided enough to think they should speak for God
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2009, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Indianapolis
4,325 posts, read 3,386,346 times
Reputation: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
There really are no bad Bibles, only really bad interpretations of the Bible by some misguided enough to think they should speak for God
I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2009, 07:42 PM
 
3,067 posts, read 2,363,031 times
Reputation: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
You yourself said that a Christian marriage goes both ways?
You know that is the 2nd time you said that.

To tell the truth I don't believe I have used that manner of speaking..."both ways"???

Could you point me to the post where I used that wording?
I just don't remember writing that..
I don't know the context, perhaps you are paraphrasing me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2009, 07:48 PM
 
3,067 posts, read 2,363,031 times
Reputation: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
It seriously sounds like you are saying a women should stay in a marriage no matter what?!
Im saying?

Me?


I dont make any of the stuff up that I post here .
If I have written it, you can bet that I got it from the Bible.
If someone has disagreed with me, you can also bet that when challenged that dont have any Bible verses to quote in support of their views.

People think they just disagree with me, thats why I try to point out to them their lack of any bible verses to backup any of what they say...

That is my way of dropping the hint that they don't disagree with me, they disagree with God's Bible...

As for the grounds for a Christian to seek a divorce?
We are told by Jesus the facts as to when and if a Christian can ever seek a divorce.
If the situation is question falls within the examples in the text for a valid divorce, then you stand on firm ground.

However if you cant faind any verse in the bible to support a divorce that should be enough to cause the christian to not ever think about getting a divorce again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top