Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 06:44 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
a "what if' question....
With so many "what if" type questions that we can dream up....Im not an expert in the "unwriten" bible stories...

I just read and try to understand the stories we have and i will just let the dreamers deal with the invented stroies...

The thing is for a "What if" dreamed up story there has to them be a dreamed up answer...
and as the story is not found in the bible, there is no need for the answer to a dreamed up story to agree with the Bible at all.

It's all just speculation.

Perhaps that is a nice way for some to kill their free time, by dreaming up non-bible stories and some non-bible answers to go with them?

It's like a question the kid asked me once,"Would Jesus clean the front seat first , or the backseat first?"

As that question is not in the bible, and as it would be hard to dig up a answer that is supported by the text, my guess is that any and all answers will sound close enough....

If you are into the meaning of a Bible story, then we can dig up a bible answer to a bible question.
But if Im being asked to dig up a bible answer to a speculation?....that might be tricky...

There were no cars 2000 years ago so it would be hard to prove how Jesus would clean one....
Alan it's you who is dreaming and speculating . You are saying if the bloke who the woman caught in adultery with the woman was brought with her to Jesus , Jesus would have been in his right to stone her.This is absurd .

The fact of the matter is unlike you and the would be stone throwers, Jesus is not using the written word to condemn her.

12Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, 13because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 06:50 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
. You are saying if the bloke who the woman caught in adultery with the woman was brought with her to Jesus , Jesus would have been in his right to stone her.!
Totally take my words and use them in ways I never intended....
I have NEVER said anything like that....

What I have said is that 'if' Jesus had told the mob to kill just the girl., (Remember that is what he was being asked to do) then "If " he would have done that he would have had NO SUPPORT in the text at all..

If you can find a place that allows for him to tell the mob to kill just her, then I will admit Im in error.

But if you cant find a single place where I have made an error in connection with what the text teaches, then don't you think it's time to admit that I know more about this topic that you gave me credit for?

Old 08-26-2009, 06:53 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Jesus is not using the written word to condemn her.

!
No, what Im saying is that Jesus COULD NOT use the text to condemn her alone to death.
The reason is that the Text does NOT SUPPORT that action.

Jesus , and I, have too much respect for the text to twist it around like that.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
Totally take my words and use them in ways I never intended....
I have NEVER said anything like that....

What I have said is that 'if' Jesus had told the mob to kill just the girl., (Remember that is what he was being asked to do) then "If " he would have done that he would have had NO SUPPORT in the text at all..

If you can find a place that allows for him to tell the mob to kill just her, then I will admit Im in error.

But if you cant find a single place where I have made an error in connection with what the text teaches, then don't you think it's time to admit that I know more about this topic that you gave me credit for?
Alan what you are saying is actually pathetic . You are saying if the bloke who the woman was caught in the act of adultery, was brought to Jesus along with the woman , Jesus would have to say yea it now meets the requirements of the law they are both together i can not stop you from stoning them.

12Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, 13because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment!

What do you mean i know more than you ? , could not care less if you do , but how inmature to say such a thing and how self righteous to say such a thing

Last edited by pcamps; 08-26-2009 at 07:07 PM..

Old 08-26-2009, 07:10 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Ah, folks, this thread was not intended as a "Bible Study Thread."

One more time, as a "reminder" to those who may have forgotten, here's the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseliz

My tale is a long one,but I shall try to keep it brief. I have been married 9yrs to a man I know I should not have married. I was not living as a christian at the time although raised as one. I was miserable but felt I could not back out of the wedding. Years of physical and emotional abuse, alcoholism and controlling beahviour, made me unhappier and I looked elsewhere for "love" instead of just leaving him. I began an affair with a coworker that lasted 6yrs. Always feeling like I shouldn't leave, or what my family would think, as well as wondering if my husband could ever change, kept me from leaving... As well as a nice lifestyle...
I ended up pregnant and the father is my husband. My daughter is a year and a half old now. After paternity tests revealed my husband was the father, I ended the affair and never told my husband about it. I did though, confide in my sister about the ordeal at the time wehad paternity tests done. The other man was ready to begin a life with me if the child was his and if I wanted to leave my husband. We parted ways since the child was not his, and I felt obligated to begin again, a fresh start with a new baby.
My husband and I carried on together and just before she turned 1, I was going to leave. Instead, when I told him my plans, he moved out instead. Except he was mostly at home anyhow, and ended up moving right back in after a month.
We tried once more, went to counselling, but I was the only one trying. I gave it another 2 months and finally left. Moved in with a good friend.
A month after I left, the other man and I met up and began seeing each other again. Although we loved each other deeply, I felt remorse and guilt because I was married, and that it was "wrong". At the same time, my sister felt compelled to tell my husband that I had an affair, and the whole story about paternity tests etc came out.
I got blasted with hellfire and brimstone from my sister and all of a sudden my husband started going to church.
I felt obligated to go back one more time, that if God was to change my husband, then maybe we could work it out. I prayed that God would change me too, and I went home. I have been home just over 2 months and I have not been able to get the man I love out of my head and heart. It hurts terribly that I gave up the chance for us to finally be together, I walked away from the strongest love I have ever felt for a man. I have not seen him since I came back home, and have been 100 percent faithful and honest. I know my husband is trying his best, but I have absolutely no desire for him. I have prayed that God work work in me, and rekindle what there possibly might be for hope for a future with my husband. Feeling so obligated by my vows, I am trying to stick it out.
Things have changed, my husband is kinder to me, and although had a recent physical fight with his son (from a previous relationship) I have stuck by him, trying to do 'what is right'.
How long do I keep this up? How can I bury my feelings for this other man, I ache for him every minute. How can I let go of him and pretend I am happy now? I need advice!!! Not judgement, please.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:16 PM

Sorry June just trying to support the plight of those oppressed by the bible bashers .

Old 08-27-2009, 07:51 AM

12 posts, read 22,459 times
We know our God is a God of mercy, as pcamps stated, mercy triumphs over judgement. Jesus showed the alduteress mercy because that's who he was! Merciful and kind and good. Not because it was a "technicality"?
Alan portrays Jesus to be a cold and calculating hangman. So concerned about "text" that compassion and love don't even enter his thoughts is such a situation.
Also, its too bad that the kind of bible studies you've been to are mere contests about who knows their bible better than the other. I bet you don't leave those bible studies feeling refreshed and confident in your faith and your RELATIONSHIP with Christ... I can see you walking to your car counting how many feathers are in your hat.
You're so concerned about who is smarter re: the bible. That's the difference between religion and faith. Between religion and spirituality.
Living Christ-like is more about how he lived, mercy he showed, loving one another, having compassion for people and their situations, loving them. NOT all about rules and regulations. I feel sorry for people that live under that hammer.
Just curious Alan, what version of bible are you reading from?
On another note, after several days of arguing, my husband asked me to pray with him last night! He did the praying. Wow. Hmmm!

Old 08-27-2009, 12:24 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mseliz View Post
We know our God is a God of mercy, as pcamps stated, mercy triumphs over judgement. Jesus showed the alduteress mercy because that's who he was! Merciful and kind and good. Not because it was a "technicality"?
Alan portrays Jesus to be a cold and calculating hangman. So concerned about "text" that compassion and love don't even enter his thoughts is such a situation.
Also, its too bad that the kind of bible studies you've been to are mere contests about who knows their bible better than the other. I bet you don't leave those bible studies feeling refreshed and confident in your faith and your RELATIONSHIP with Christ... I can see you walking to your car counting how many feathers are in your hat.
You're so concerned about who is smarter re: the bible. That's the difference between religion and faith. Between religion and spirituality.
Living Christ-like is more about how he lived, mercy he showed, loving one another, having compassion for people and their situations, loving them. NOT all about rules and regulations. I feel sorry for people that live under that hammer.
Just curious Alan, what version of bible are you reading from?
On another note, after several days of arguing, my husband asked me to pray with him last night! He did the praying. Wow. Hmmm!
Moderator cut:

The thread is not about the individual cited here.

mseliz, that's great news about your husband wanting to pray with you

Last edited by june 7th; 08-27-2009 at 06:38 PM..

Old 06-16-2015, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 429 times
I am a believer, and of course adultery is a sin. We are to love our wives with all our heart. I do that as an ACTION. I do not feel romantic toward my wife of 34 years, but I am deeply committed and love her in a different sort of way. I would give my life for her.

I AM deeply in love with another woman. I do not sin, because we are just Facebook friends. I fell in love with her 32 years ago, and after only a couple of weeks together, we moved on. I have never ceased to think about her all these decades (although not chronically or compulsively). We recently were reunited through social media and I can say most assuredly I am in love with her. The typical Christian advice is: Cut off all contact with her. To be honest, I have zero interest in doing so. We went far too long apart as it is. I do NOT, nor will I EVER, entertain anything unfaithful to my wife. I am committed till death do us part. However, I feel a sense of responsibility for this other woman, like I really want to look out for her well-being, from afar. I have decided to treat her as a sister in the Lord, and think of her that way. I am happy and content with that, more so than if we parted ways. I want to die one day knowing she is my friend and that we had a good solid brother/sister friendship. That will make me content. The fact that I am in love with her is something I decided I can't help but as a free-will moral agent, I decided I will never act on it. I find it hard to imagine God would disapprove.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:41 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mseliz View Post
After paternity tests revealed my husband was the father.
I'd like to know how you got the paternity test done without him knowing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity