Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 12:17 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Umm, who do you think sent Jesus? In other words, who is God? You keep knocking the acts by Yahweh in the old testament, trying to seperate the old from the new. You cannot do this, no matter how much things don't make sense to the feeble minds of men. The whole counsel of the Word stands. It is not bible worship, but rather, it is what we have to read and understand about who God is, why His Son was sent, and things pertaining to the afterlife. If it was not important, then I am sure Jesus would not have quoted it so often, fulfilling all the prophesies.
Sorry Hot . . . my issue is with the stupid primitive interpretations and attributes assigned to Jehovah . . . NOT with Jehovah. The descriptions are carnal and human ego-driven interpretations corrupted by primitive negative human emotions, PERIOD. They do NOT accurately represent the TRUE NATURE of Jehovah as revealed by Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 12:52 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The contradictions are there to spur revision (of the milk) when human knowledge has GROWN sufficiently to demand a DIVISION and explanation (solid food). You cannot GROW without change . . . that is stagnation in the word. Dividing means applying greater knowledge to discern the inconsistencies and resolve them knowledgeably . . . NOT retain them using rationalizations of primitive concepts. The greatest virtue of Christianity has been the "splitting and revision" it has undergone as each group found the earlier interpretations inadequate for their inner Jesus and Holy Spirit to accept. Unfortunately . . . that process has been stagnated by fundamentalist literalist doctrines. Many Christians are simply abandoning the formal religious organizations rather than forming new ones. Knowledge of Jesus and His unambiguous unconditional LOVE for us ALL even unto His scourging and crucifixion is the example of REAL OVE . . . not the twisted and evil rationalizations that retain the negative human emotions mistakenly attributed to Jehovah and merge them with the PURE LOVE of Jesus. THAT is lack of understanding and knowledge of love and its importance to our spiritual salvation. A perfect example of complex rationalization and indoctrination of psychological absurdities based on a lack of knowledge of the various types of love . . . NONE of which are IMPERSONAL. Anyone who expresses "love" for the heinous acts of Jehovah as described by primitive minds in complete ignorance of the TRUE NATURE of God CANNOT have real love in their hearts, IMO. Knowledge of Jesus and His LOVE for us ALL is the greatest virtue in life . . . NOT Bible worship.
Been channeling your spirit guides again have you???

Old 10-04-2009, 01:32 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Been channeling your spirit guides again have you???
I don't have any of those . . . but I have been connecting with the Holy Spirit within at every opportunity (daily) in deep meditation. The unconditional love and acceptance is simply too unambiguous to entertain the nonsensical negative human emotions attributed to God.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I am talking of nothing but but the amazing love and grace of God

Love for our fellow man is birthed out of our relationship with God,and
not birthed out of knowing the scriptures.

Jesus said search the scriptures for in them you think you have eternal life , they are they which testify of me.

So knowing the scriptures point you to Jesus .

All the scriptures you quote above are a result of a relationship with God and not from a knowledge of the scriptures.

The scriptures are not a rule book on how to live , they point you to the life giver whom to know is life eternal.

It amazes me how often i read about christianity being either a doing thing or a knowledge of doctrine thing , it's actually a being thing.

Whatever is of God in our lives comes from being in a relationship with Him, that being comes from being changed by His character and nature.

And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. NIV 2 Cor 3 verse 18.

But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.KJV 2 Cor 3 verse 18.

The change in a believers life comes from within , from the relationship we have with God , Christ in you the hope of glory Col 1verse 27.

You are right we are to study to show ourselves approved of God , unfortunately we study to show that everyone who doesn't believe how we do is not approved of God.

When David wrote Psalm 23 which scriptures did he use to speak so well of his Lord ? exactly it was through the knowledge of God's heart towards Him.
From the standpoint of the new believer, the Christian life does not start out with love, it starts out with obedience.

Even in the human realm, you don't have a personal love for someone until you get to know them. And it's the same with God. When you first believe in Christ for salvation, all you know is that He died for your sins and provided salvation. But you know absolutely nothing about the nature of God. Who and what He is. You know nothing about the nature of His plan concerning man. These are things that must be learned. And that means study. It means learning doctrine.

The quality of your relationship with God After you have been saved depends on your obedience to the mandates to 'grow by means of grace in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.'' And ''study to show yourself approved unto God, to show yourself a workman that need not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.''

Bible doctrine is the mind of Christ. ''For who has known the mind of the LORD, THAT HE SHOULD INSTRUCT HIM? But we have the mind of Christ.'' (1 Corinthians 2:16)

The Bible is the canon of Scripture. The word ''Canonicity'' is derived from the Greek word (kanon) which originally meant a rod or a ruler. A measuring stick or norm(Gal. 6:16; Phil. 3:16). This is exactly what the Bible is. It is a norm or standard--the divine and absolute standard by which we are to live.

2 Tim.3:16 ''All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

Knowledge of God comes first, and then love follows.

Knowledge of doctrine is the greatest virtue in life.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I don't have any of those . . . but I have been connecting with the Holy Spirit within at every opportunity (daily) in deep meditation. The unconditional love and acceptance is simply too unambiguous to entertain the nonsensical negative human emotions attributed to God.
The Holy Spirit only works with the Bible doctrine that has been transferred from the Bible into the soul of the believer. That is the only way that He guides a believer.

And the only way to be filled with the Spirit is through the principle of 1 John 1:9.

My comment about the spirit guides was meant as sarcasm, but I don't think you picked up on that.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:08 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,277,299 times
Quote:
From the standpoint of the new believer, the Christian life does not start out with love, it starts out with obedience.

Even in the human realm, you don't have a personal love for someone until you get to know them. And it's the same with God. When you first believe in Christ for salvation, all you know is that He died for your sins and provided salvation. But you know absolutely nothing about the nature of God. Who and what He is. You know nothing about the nature of His plan concerning man. These are things that must be learned. And that means study. It means learning doctrine.

The quality of your relationship with God After you have been saved depends on your obedience to the mandates to 'grow by means of grace in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.'' And ''study to show yourself approved unto God, to show yourself a workman that need not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.''

Bible doctrine is the mind of Christ. ''For who has known the mind of the LORD, THAT HE SHOULD INSTRUCT HIM? But we have the mind of Christ.'' (1 Corinthians 2:16)

The Bible is the canon of Scripture. The word ''Canonicity'' is derived from the Greek word (kanon) which originally meant a rod or a ruler. A measuring stick or norm(Gal. 6:16; Phil. 3:16). This is exactly what the Bible is. It is a norm or standard--the divine and absolute standard by which we are to live.

2 Tim.3:16 ''All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

Knowledge puffs up love builds up ,1 Corinthians 8 verse 1. How hard is that to understand ? .I am not knocking knowledge ,i am repeating what according to the scripture is more virtuous

Furthermore where does it say where it's important for a new believer to learn obedience ?.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Knowledge puffs up love builds up ,1 Corinthians 8 verse 1. How hard is that to understand ? .I am not knocking knowledge ,i am repeating what according to the scripture is more virtuous

Furthermore where does it say where it's important for a new believer to learn obedience ?.
Academic knowledge about things pertaining to this world or worldly wisdom is the kind of Knowledge that puffs up. The kind of legalistic knowledge that the Pharisees had concerning the letter of the law but without understanding the spirit of the law resulted in arrogance on their part. But knowledge of God, edifies.

Concerning obedience: 1 John 2:3-5 'And by this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4) The one who says, ''I have come to know Him,'' and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; 5) but whoever keeps His word (Bible doctrine), in him the love of God has truly been perfected.

By obedience to the command to ''grow by means of grace in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ,'' you will come to love Him.

Obedience to God is a prerequisite through out your spiritual life, from the moment you first believe in Christ until the day you die.

And by the way, this is not a reference to the ten commandments.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:49 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,277,299 times
Quote:
Academic knowledge about things pertaining to this world or worldly wisdom is the kind of Knowledge that puffs up. The kind of legalistic knowledge that the Pharisees had concerning the letter of the law but without understanding the spirit of the law resulted in arrogance on their part. But knowledge of God, edifies.

Concerning obedience: 1 John 2:3-5 'And by this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4) The one who says, ''I have come to know Him,'' and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; 5) but whoever keeps His word (Bible doctrine), in him the love of God has truly been perfected.

By obedience to the command to ''grow by means of grace in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ,'' you will come to love Him.

Obedience to God is a prerequisite through out your spiritual life, from the moment you first believe in Christ until the day you die.

And by the way, this is not a reference to the ten commandments.
Knowledge of Him is knowledge of knowing Him personally , not just a knowledge of the scripture.In otherwords the scriptures(the written word) are not God, they testify of Him.
When Jesus said that eternal life was knowing Him , that is exactly what He meant,not an head knowledge of the scriptures.
When He said depart from me for i never knew you He didn't mean that He didn't know who we are , He meant i was not intimate with you , which is where all that is of God in our lives comes from (being intimate)
Search the scriptures for in them you think you have eternal life , they are they which testify of me John 5 verse 39.

Do you actually know the moment you think you are keeping commandments you have moved from grace to works ?. We unknowingly serve the Lord

37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

I think you need to revise as what knowing God is is all about for it is not in just knowing the scriptures.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Knowledge of Him is knowledge of knowing Him personally , not just a knowledge of the scripture.In otherwords the scriptures(the written word) are not God, they testify of Him.
When Jesus said that eternal life was knowing Him , that is exactly what He meant,not an head knowledge of the scriptures.
When He said depart from me for i never knew you He didn't mean that He didn't know who we are , He meant i was not intimate with you , which is where all that is of God in our lives comes from (being intimate)
Search the scriptures for in them you think you have eternal life , they are they which testify of me John 5 verse 39.

Do you actually know the moment you think you are keeping commandments you have moved from grace to works ?. We unknowingly serve the Lord

37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

I think you need to revise as what knowing God is is all about for it is not in just knowing the scriptures.
The Scriptures are the means by which you come to know Christ.

And just to say it, the Gospel is the means by which God draws man to Him.

The Holy Spirit works with the Bible doctrine that you transfer from the Bible and metabolise into your own soul. It is not a head knowledge. It is epignosis knowledge---knowledge fully understood that builds an edification complex in the soul and results in spiritual growth. This is what God the Holy Spirit uses in guiding you in your spiritual life.

Jesus Christ is the living word. The Bible is the written word. It is the mind of Christ, the thinking of Christ set down in writing. Since Jesus Christ is not physically on the earth at this time, He has left behind our written instructions for living the Christian life. Without the written word you have no means of learning about God. Knowledge of God doesn't come from out of the ether. You learn the word of God by studyiing the Bible under the teaching ministry of a prepared pastor/teacher and you apply that knowledge to the details of your life. This is how your relationship with God after your salvation, matures.

I've now made it as clear as I can and there is really nothing more I can say. I think you are just not understanding what I am saying. We really are not far apart on this.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:43 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,758,080 times
Quote:

"We love Him, because He first loved us. 1 John 4:19

You cannot obey Christ if you don't first love him, but when and if you love him you will obey him ...

And Christ commandments are clear and simple ... Love god above all things, and love thy neighbor as thyself, and love thy enemies ... For love covers a multitude of sins (
1Pe 4:8) ...

It starts and ends with love ...

Knowledge will cease, because knowledge is in part, by love will ever remain ... (
1Cr 13:12)

Your words clearly demonstrate the elitist, puffed up, self righteous leaven of the pharisees that you espouse as doctrine. Open your heart and unlearn your false doctrines and let Christ come in a sup with you ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity