U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:34 AM

148 posts, read 205,521 times

Advertisements

God speaking through the apostle Paul also commanded the things that we are to guard closely are
1) Our Life in how we live as Christians
2) Doctrine

1 Timothy 4

Apostasy

1But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons, 2by means of the hypocrisy of liars seared in their own conscience as with a branding iron,
3men who forbid marriage and advocate abstaining from foods which God has created to be gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth.
4For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude;
5for it is sanctified by means of the word of God and prayer.

YouTube - "Sound Doctrine Just Divides... It's Love That Matters!"

Last edited by Soljia; 08-11-2009 at 11:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 12:13 PM

30,045 posts, read 19,921,078 times
What do you think doctrine of demons are ?1) Loving your fellow man ? 2) seperating yourself from a believer because he happens not to agree with your doctrine even though he walks in love towards his fellow man 3) men who forbid marriage and advocate abstaining from foods which God has created to be gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth.
4For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude;

There is at least 2 doctrines of demons in there , can you guess which they are Solija ?

Old 08-11-2009, 12:42 PM

8Love never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
9For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
11When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. 13And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

The Calvinists favorite verse in the whole bible is : By this shall all men know you are my disciples that you believe all the right doctrines and condemn believer and unbeliever alike with doctrine.

So the love of God matters .

Old 10-04-2009, 12:05 AM

20,245 posts, read 15,600,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soljia View Post
God speaking through the apostle Paul also commanded the things that we are to guard closely are
1) Our Life in how we live as Christians
2) Doctrine

1 Timothy 4

Apostasy

1But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons, 2by means of the hypocrisy of liars seared in their own conscience as with a branding iron,
3men who forbid marriage and advocate abstaining from foods which God has created to be gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth.

YouTube - "Sound Doctrine Just Divides... It's Love That Matters!"
The greatest virtue in the Christian life is knowledge of Bible doctrine.

2 Timothy 2:15 ''Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.''

2 Peter 3:18 ''But grow by means of grace, in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and forever. Amen.''

Hosea 6:6 ''For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice, and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.

It is by means of Bible doctrine that we grow and advance to spiritual maturity. Without knowledge of God, one cannot love God. Love is not an empty headed emotion, but is a mental attitude based on knowledge of the one you love. The word of God is full of scripture extolling the virtue of knowledge of doctrine. In the Old Testament, all through the book of Proverbs, doctrine is referred to as wisdom and is personified.

God leaves us on this earth after our salvation for the very purpose of growing spiritually. And that requires increasing in knowledge of God.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:22 AM

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, 1Cor 13 verse 1

The greatest virtue in the christian life is love , possessing it and knowing God Himself.

Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.John 17 verse 3

Knowledge puffs up love edifies. 1 Cor 8 verse 1

Old 10-04-2009, 08:17 AM

20,245 posts, read 15,600,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, 1Cor 13 verse 1

The greatest virtue in the christian life is love , possessing it and knowing God Himself.

Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.John 17 verse 3

Knowledge puffs up love edifies. 1 Cor 8 verse 1

Would you use one scripture to nullify another scripture?

Would you use one divine command to nullify another divine command?

Would you cause love and knowledge to be mutually exclusive to each other?

We are commanded to love one another. We are also commanded to grow in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior.(2 Peter 3:18). We are commanded to ''study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.''(2 Timothy 2:15) Would you therefore pit one command of God against another command of God?

The greatest virtue in the Christian life is knowledge of Bible doctrine. For knowledge of Bible doctrine is knowledge of God. And by means of knowledge of God comes love. Love that is based not on knowledge is only empty emotion and is meaningless. Love is a mental attitude. Emotion responds to that knowledge of the one to whom love is directed. Emotional love without knowledge is empty, and meaningless, and is often hypocritical.

The love that believers are commanded to have toward one another is not personal love in the sense of the love between two close friends, but rather it is an impersonal love which is based not on who and what the other person is, but is based on who and what you are on the basis of your own integrity as a result of your spiritual growth through having gained in knowledge of God through the intake of Bible doctrine, and the subsequent application of that doctrine to the circumstances of your daily life.

Obedience to God's command to grow in your knowledge of Him results in a personal love for God, and an impersonal love toward members of the human race. And of course there is the personal love for those very few who are in your very close circle of friends, and the even more exclusive personal and romantic love between husband and wife, which is enhanced by your knowledge of God; your relationship with God. The greater your relationship with God is, the greater your relationship with members of the human race will be. And it all depends on knowing God. And that means that knowledge of Bible doctrine is the greatest virtue in life.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:27 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,106,388 times
I have repeatedly heard statements from preachers like, “Doctrine is not important in Christianity. Nothing is important but having a relationship with Christ”. This can be made to sound good if presented with passion and this philosophy is packaged in many ways, but it is a.....false statement.

John 14: 23 Jesus answered and said to him, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him. 24 "He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine but the Father's who sent Me.

If you do not know the word, you cannot keep the word.

If you do not know God’s word, how can you know God? Sound doctrine is critical because it reveals to us how to know and relate to our Creator and Savior.

Thirty-six times the importance of doctrine is stressed in scripture – and this is only the times that the word doctrine is used. . .When something is stressed twice, this is intended to be an emphasis on its importance. If something is stressed 36 times, how can anyone say that it is not important?

Proverbs 23:12 Apply your heart to instruction, And your ears to words of knowledge.

Proverbs 10:14 Wise people store up knowledge, But the mouth of the foolish is near destruction.

Many teach bad doctrine because they have not applied their hearts to the knowledge of God’s precepts and statutes. When someone teaches that doctrine is not important, they are either unwilling to study for themselves or they are preparing their congregations to go in a direction that is not in agreement with scripture.

Mike, I disagree with you in the past that we need a teacher/pastor to study or understand God's word. When we are in the "spirit", He is Our Teacher and we only need His Word . . . .

Most pastor's have studied according to their denomination or religous beliefs (Priests/Catholic, Baptist Preachers, SDA's/ Universalists, and many more). . . as I frequent non-denominational churches, as well as denominational churches, all pastor's teach from their denominational stance.

God said, there is One Spirit, One Truth . . . His Word, whether it has been slightly tampered, slightly mistranslated . . . . the Truth is There in His Bible . . . . He foreknew the beginning from the end.

He foreknew that the Bible, would contain His truths . . .all fence posts must line up . . .

I like the Baptist Preacher in my area . . but when he speaks of a Secret Rapture, Once Saved Always Saved, or that there is a literal Hell . . . he is preaching the doctrine of demons, he hasn't taken the time to study in the Spirit.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post

We are commanded to love one another. We are also commanded to grow in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior.(2 Peter 3:18). We are commanded to ''study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.''(2 Timothy 2:15) Would you therefore pit one command of God against another command of God?
The greatest virtue in the Christian life is knowledge of Bible doctrine. For knowledge of Bible doctrine is knowledge of God. And by means of knowledge of God comes love. Love that is based not on knowledge is only empty emotion and is meaningless. Love is a mental attitude. Emotion responds to that knowledge of the one to whom love is directed. Emotional love without knowledge is empty, and meaningless, and is often hypocritical.

The love that believers are commanded to have toward one another is not personal love in the sense of the love between two close friends, but rather it is an impersonal love which is based not on who and what the other person is, but is based on who and what you are on the basis of your own integrity as a result of your spiritual growth through having gained in knowledge of God through the intake of Bible doctrine, and the subsequent application of that doctrine to the circumstances of your daily life.

Obedience to God's command to grow in your knowledge of Him results in a personal love for God, and an impersonal love toward members of the human race. And of course there is the personal love for those very few who are in your very close circle of friends, and the even more exclusive personal and romantic love between husband and wife, which is enhanced by your knowledge of God; your relationship with God. The greater your relationship with God is, the greater your relationship with members of the human race will be. And it all depends on knowing God. And that means that knowledge of Bible doctrine is the greatest virtue in life.
I am talking of nothing but but the amazing love and grace of God

Love for our fellow man is birthed out of our relationship with God,and
not birthed out of knowing the scriptures.

Jesus said search the scriptures for in them you think you have eternal life , they are they which testify of me.

So knowing the scriptures point you to Jesus .

All the scriptures you quote above are a result of a relationship with God and not from a knowledge of the scriptures.

The scriptures are not a rule book on how to live , they point you to the life giver whom to know is life eternal.

It amazes me how often i read about christianity being either a doing thing or a knowledge of doctrine thing , it's actually a being thing.

Whatever is of God in our lives comes from being in a relationship with Him, that being comes from being changed by His character and nature.

And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. NIV 2 Cor 3 verse 18.

But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.KJV 2 Cor 3 verse 18.

The change in a believers life comes from within , from the relationship we have with God , Christ in you the hope of glory Col 1verse 27.

You are right we are to study to show ourselves approved of God , unfortunately we study to show that everyone who doesn't believe how we do is not approved of God.

When David wrote Psalm 23 which scriptures did he use to speak so well of his Lord ? exactly it was through the knowledge of God's heart towards Him.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:04 PM

37,356 posts, read 25,159,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post

The contradictions are there to spur revision (of the milk) when human knowledge has GROWN sufficiently to demand a DIVISION and explanation (solid food). You cannot GROW without change . . . that is stagnation in the word. Dividing means applying greater knowledge to discern the inconsistencies and resolve them knowledgeably . . . NOT retain them using rationalizations of primitive concepts.
Quote:
The greatest virtue in the Christian life is knowledge of Bible doctrine.
The greatest virtue of Christianity has been the "splitting and revision" it has undergone as each group found the earlier interpretations inadequate for their inner Jesus and Holy Spirit to accept. Unfortunately . . . that process has been stagnated by fundamentalist literalist doctrines. Many Christians are simply abandoning the formal religious organizations rather than forming new ones.
Quote:
For knowledge of Bible doctrine is knowledge of God. And by means of knowledge of God comes love. Love that is based not on knowledge is only empty emotion and is meaningless. Love is a mental attitude. Emotion responds to that knowledge of the one to whom love is directed. Emotional love without knowledge is empty, and meaningless, and is often hypocritical.
Knowledge of Jesus and His unambiguous unconditional LOVE for us ALL even unto His scourging and crucifixion is the example of REAL OVE . . . not the twisted and evil rationalizations that retain the negative human emotions mistakenly attributed to Jehovah and merge them with the PURE LOVE of Jesus. THAT is lack of understanding and knowledge of love and its importance to our spiritual salvation.
Quote:
A perfect example of complex rationalization and indoctrination of psychological absurdities based on a lack of knowledge of the various types of love . . . NONE of which are IMPERSONAL.
Quote:
Anyone who expresses "love" for the heinous acts of Jehovah as described by primitive minds in complete ignorance of the TRUE NATURE of God CANNOT have real love in their hearts, IMO. Knowledge of Jesus and His LOVE for us ALL is the greatest virtue in life . . . NOT Bible worship.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:13 PM

3,553 posts, read 4,367,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Anyone who expresses "love" for the heinous acts of Jehovah as described by primitive minds in complete ignorance of the TRUE NATURE of God CANNOT have real love in their hearts, IMO. Knowledge of Jesus and His LOVE for us ALL is the greatest virtue in life . . . NOT Bible worship.
Umm, who do you think sent Jesus? In other words, who is God? You keep knocking the acts by Yahweh in the old testament, trying to seperate the old from the new. You cannot do this, no matter how much things don't make sense to the feeble minds of men. The whole counsel of the Word stands. It is not bible worship, but rather, it is what we have to read and understand about who God is, why His Son was sent, and things pertaining to the afterlife. If it was not important, then I am sure Jesus would not have quoted it so often, fulfilling all the prophesies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or