U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 07:45 PM

2,872 posts, read 4,474,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Hmmm...

So would "grace" be the Other's 'gaze' in a sense?

('Other' meaning God.)
Well, yeah, I guess so! But it wouldn't be Sartre's "Hell" premised on entrapment in the falsity of perception, if you believe in God as love and truth. I don't anthropomorphize God though. It's more like an envelopment with God's love all around. There's living, and then there's grace, which is really breathing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 08:19 PM

852 posts, read 1,175,304 times
JMHO
Grace is a divine intervention from God.
We are saved by grace....by his divine intervention of having his son die for us....and his son being raised.
We live by grace....by his divine intervention which comes in many ways...mostly I find this grace through the Holy Spirit.
So when I am down and out...I need someone to lift these burdens from me, I call upon this grace that He so freely gives to us. It's free for the taking. We need only believe.

When I surrendered my life to God...I live by grace...my life is full of His divine intervention....my life is full of grace.
I have faith in Him--- I know His grace is sufficient for me.
Just a short take on how I view grace.

Edited to add...after reading several responses...I would also concur that grace is an unmerited favor.

Last edited by *sherry*; 08-13-2009 at 09:03 PM..

Old 08-13-2009, 08:41 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,220,477 times
I believe as others have said that Grace is unmerited favor
I also remember
G~God's
R~Riches
A~ At
C~Christ's
E~Expense
You can't earn grace it is a free gift. It is part of God's character to be forgiving and compationate. He gave us Christ who has demonstrated Grace to us through his sacrifice.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:26 PM

21,435 posts, read 29,601,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
I believe as others have said that Grace is unmerited favor
I also remember
G~God's
R~Riches
A~ At
C~Christ's
E~Expense
You can't earn grace it is a free gift. It is part of God's character to be forgiving and compationate. He gave us Christ who has demonstrated Grace to us through his sacrifice.
I love this!!!!

Old 08-13-2009, 09:45 PM

2,345 posts, read 3,821,903 times
If grace is unmerited favor and unmerited means "not merited or deserved" then why do we have to "earn" salvation through belief and actions? Makes no sense. They claim it is a free gift but there are an awful lot of strings attached to this gift.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:49 PM

21,435 posts, read 29,601,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
If grace is unmerited favor and unmerited means "not merited or deserved" then why do we have to "earn" salvation through belief and actions? Makes no sense. They claim it is a free gift but there are an awful lot of strings attached to this gift.
You can't earn it and yes it is a free gift with no strings attached.

Romans 6: 23 "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord".

Old 08-13-2009, 10:13 PM

257 posts, read 367,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June is back, with yet another genuinely sincere querie.

In the past few days and weeks it would appear that many have had "hell" and "eternal torment" and "all things gloom and doom" as regards Christianity on the mind. This is something that June finds so incredibly confounding, as given her (perhaps questionably limited) understanding of Christianity, the aforementioned concepts are hardly the first things that come to mind when she thinks of "Christianity." June notices how people's feelings get hurt quite often around here; how people feel invalidated, offended, and not heard. Some feel like what was actually described as being "a stranger" here. Some choose to leave permanently as a result of all these things mentioned.

That's something that is sadly curious to June...As well, it strikes her as being somehow ironic that --more often than not lately-- what she reads here on the "Christianity subforum" would tend to reinforce a person's lack of belief as opposed to challenging their nonbelief. This, in turn, got June wondering about a few things: How fast would any seeker, or anyone who was simply curious about Christianity turn and run for their lives away from the message they read here? -Somehow that doesn't quite 'line up' with all that June thought she knew about Christianity.

--As a result of what is mentioned above, and to her very own "just June" shock and dismay, she found herself pondering the notion of "grace" last evening. The problem, however, is that given her nonbelieving mindset, she really isn't quite sure just what grace is, such that she isn't sure what form those ponderings should even take!

She is sure, however, (for reasons she is at a loss to explain) that it is something that is probably not a bad thing to ponder. For anyone. Especially here. So, to anyone who feels so inclined to talk to June about whatever "grace" is in Christianity, she invites you to help her out, and do so. In doing so, however, if at all possible, she would also ask that you do so by using/showing (?) some, if that is something that is possible, if grace exists?

Thanks in advance.

Take gentle graceful care.
Remeber when you studied your state drivers license manual for the test? We know that one should be correct in answering the questions for that test, if they want a license to drive. The test does not ask for our opinions. The state rules are precise. A stop sign means stop, not stop if you feel like it or just slow down and roll thru the intersection. The rules are simply not open to personal opinion or private interpretation.

In Bible study, we should be far more careful to understand what GOD is really saying, and not submit our opinions. Truth has nothing to do with opinions.

There is an eternal GOD who rules over the entire creation. He has offered all humanity salvation. This is an event of His grace. When someone refuses the salvation by grace, they are condemned. That is the condemnation----refusing salvation.

GOD never changes. He said to Moses, "I AM that I AM". It's very important to know GOD. He can be known by those who truely, from the heart, seek to know Him. JESUS said, "Seek and you shall find".

So if one truely seeks, with all thier heart, they will find. But get to know GOD yourself. If you do, then those in error will not be able to mislead you. How do you get to know Him. Well first, seek Him with all your heart!

Best wishes,
Joe

Old 08-13-2009, 11:03 PM

2,345 posts, read 3,821,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
You can't earn it and yes it is a free gift with no strings attached.

Romans 6: 23 "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord".

According to most Christian doctrine you DO have to earn it. I HAVE to believe for one....I HAVE to love god....I have a whole list of things I can't do cause they're bad.....so you tell me that one doesn't have to earn it through beliefs and behaviors.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:04 AM

465 posts, read 451,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
According to most Christian doctrine you DO have to earn it. I HAVE to believe for one....I HAVE to love god....I have a whole list of things I can't do cause they're bad.....so you tell me that one doesn't have to earn it through beliefs and behaviors.
Exactly...I do not see why most do not understand this.

When someone gives you a gift, are there any strings attached?

At Chrsitmas or your birthday, do your friends give you gifts and presents saying that in order to have them you have to do something...IT'S NOT A GIFT THEN.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:07 AM

4,325 posts, read 5,141,771 times
Grace is the Gift of Divine Love that restores man to God. Ask and ye shall receive and through this Grace, man is made free. Without Grace, man cannot see God. This is the Grace Jesus always taught.
We are not born with it, however, through our soul longings and our actions towards others, we receive this as a FREE gift from God. No belief in God nor any religion needs to be practiced. It's the soul that is asking and not the mind of man. The soul believes in God even if the mind does not.

Once this Grace is received, it slowly and surely restores man to the likenesss of God. It eradicates sin and the inclination to sin. This is how Jesus was able to become Christ and restored man to God so that we will never be seperated again. Without the restoration, man would have still been disconnected and unable to return.

This Gift was offered to Adam and Eve and they refused. One person, it mattered not who, had to accept it fully for everyone else. Even if Jesus had lived a full life and died naturally, we still would have received this Gift because He brought it fully to fruitation and lived to show the world what God would give His children. In this way, Jesus is the way, the truth and the light. Through the Grace (Divine Love) man is restored to God. The only requirement to receive this Grace is to ASK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or