Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 06:33 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
According to most Christian doctrine you DO have to earn it. I HAVE to believe for one....I HAVE to love god....I have a whole list of things I can't do cause they're bad.....so you tell me that one doesn't have to earn it through beliefs and behaviors.
That is not Christian doctrine because the Bible does not teach that. We love Him because He first loved us. I'm telling you this because it is what the Bibles teaches. The other stuff is man's legalism.
Also when you become a Christian your thoughts and desires change and some of that "bad stuff" you just don't WANT to do anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 06:40 AM

309 posts, read 512,030 times
Amen ILNC. As Christians at times we become to legalistic which holds us back in our praising and worshiping. I truly thank God that his mercy and grace fell on me and stopped me from doing the bad stuff that I was doing.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:12 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,068,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Well kd, I'll give you the name of the person who told me when I asked what denomination we are when I first heard about Divine Love. You can then ask him why we are DL Christians. Or maybe the president of the church. Either one is fine with me.
If you would read what my religion is about, you would then understand that Jesus takes from the bible the stuff that is true and explains why the other stuff isn't true.
Just because I don't agree with you where the bible is concerned, doesn't mean I am less of a christian. I gave you the definition of a christian. You still want to argue that you are right when clearly I gave you the truth of christianity.
Stop being petty about who is what when in fact we are all children of the same God who could care less about religion. It's people like you who should really take a good hard look in the mirror and see just what it is your portraying to others. Seems to me you forgot what the teachings of Jesus truely are.

Yes. You are less of a Christian if you don't hold to traditional, orthodox beliefs that have been established for 2000 years. Don't misunderstand me---I'm sure you're a nice person, but you're no more a Christian than I am a mormon or a Jehovah's Witness.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:31 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,570 times
There are several traditional beliefs that have now been refuted, although I do not think this one will be, as we cannot go back in time and see for ourselves, I'm sure other beliefs that were once accepted we thought would never change. Let's all try to be nice. Attacking someones faith and calling them less of a Christian than you without insight into their heart doesn't sound like something Jesus would want. Any discussion on faith matters is good, whether it be a wrong case or not, better than not discussing it. By the way, Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses are Christians as well.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:38 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Yes. You are less of a Christian if you don't hold to traditional, orthodox beliefs that have been established for 2000 years. Don't misunderstand me---I'm sure you're a nice person, but you're no more a Christian than I am a mormon or a Jehovah's Witness.

What someone is in the eyes of another is irrelevant.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:48 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
I'd take this as a compliment

Old 08-14-2009, 08:48 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,224 times
Quote:

Belief in Jesus Christ as Saviour trumps this self righteous nonsense.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:49 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Belief in Jesus Christ as Saviour trumps this self righteous nonsense.
Without fail .

Old 08-14-2009, 08:58 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,204 times
For by Grace you have been saved through Faith(just a mustard seed's worth), and that not of yourselves, it is a gift(no strings) of God, not as a result of work(can't earn it) that no man can boast(that you are not better than anyone because of your good work having anything to do with your salvation).

Old 08-14-2009, 09:06 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,570 times
I think you have to do stuff, if you don't think you have to you should be doing it anyways though out of Love, trying to make the world better...Love trumps Faith, although I find the two hard to separate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity