Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 01:10 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,066,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Son- Lord Jesus Christ ,Believe it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast. 10For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

kdbrich from day one of you believing did you have knowledge of all the right doctrines that according to you we are supposed to swear oath to to prove that we are a christian ?

Take that in context.

Who is the Lord Jesus Christ?

What is "believe"? Reconcile Eph 2:8-9 with the first 2 chapters of James. James said that it takes more than belief.

What are you saved from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 01:11 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,944,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
The teachings are. If I believe the teachings I am a Biblical Christian.

There are teachings that you disagree with that are there in concept. Christian Universalism is there in concept so they are biblical Christians.

Quote:
You can say that you are saved by Christ. But a lot depends on what your definition of Christ is. If it's a middle-aged chinese woman from Queens......then you've got a different Jesus.
Perhaps, what faith claims to be christian through a middle aged chinese woman from queens?

Bottom line is that you dumbed down your criteria to allow yourself to be a biblical Christian, by doing so you started including those you disagree with as well.

If you held to your beginning argument,, you exclude yourself since a concept being supported by a few scriptures is different than a doctrine inherantly being described by scripture alone.

If you do not know what the trinity is, you will not be aware of that doctrine by just reading the bible.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:16 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,066,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
There are teachings that you disagree with that are there in concept. Christian Universalism is there in concept so they are biblical Christians.
And the concept is false. The apostles bled and died to spread the real gospel, not universalism.

Quote:

Perhaps, what faith claims to be christian through a middle aged chinese woman from queens?

Bottom line is that you dumbed down your criteria to allow yourself to be a biblical Christian, by doing so you started including those you disagree with as well.

If you held to your beginning argument,, you exclude yourself since a concept being supported by a few scriptures is different than a doctrine inherantly being described by scripture alone.

If you do not know what the trinity is, you will not be aware of that doctrine by just reading the bible.

Nope. The doctrine of the Trinity is certainly taught in the Bible. Your one-ness theology and the theology of universalism is not. Sorry. Moderator cut: deleted I'd advise doing some study.

Last edited by june 7th; 08-15-2009 at 10:27 AM..

Old 08-14-2009, 01:18 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,277,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Take that in context.

Who is the Lord Jesus Christ?

What is "believe"? Reconcile Eph 2:8-9 with the first 2 chapters of James. James said that it takes more than belief.

What are you saved from?
You have moved from the OP "Who is a christian" .

Works are a result of our faith in His grace . Do you not trust God to work in His people to will and to do of His good pleasure?.

We are saved from ourselves , this is probably the 3rd time you have directed this question towards me .

What i can gather from reading your posts is no one is a christian if they do not believe your creed of doctrines - no scriptual foundation whatsoever.

You are self righteous if you think you are the judge of who is and who isn't a christian - at least if you are going to attempt to do this understand how a person comes to salvation, rather than basing it on believing a set of doctrines.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:18 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,022,674 times
Your trying to justify your own beliefs by claiming that those who do not believe AS YOU DO are not christian.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:20 PM

kd, do you even know what the teachings of Jesus are? Can you honestly say you follow them? I'm not talking about AFTER His death, I'm talking about while He was alive. What did He teach?

Old 08-14-2009, 01:21 PM

From my perspective, that is what you would need to base christianity on.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:21 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
You brought up the trinity, if I am not mistaken.

Trinity is not in the bible, then teaching it is unchristian.
The WORD 'trinity' is not found in the Bible. But the concept and the fact of the trinity certainly is. An example from the Old Testament.

Isaiah 48:16 'Come close to me, and listen to this:since the beginning I have not spoken in secret, since the time things began to be, I have been there; and now the Lord God, and His Spirit, has sent me.'

This is the second person of the Godhead, or trinity speaking. This is Jesus Christ, or in Hebrew, Yehsua, which means salvation.

When Jesus said in John 8:58 'Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I AM,' the Jews understood that he was identifying himself as the 'I AM who I AM' who talked to Moses as the burning bush. He was identifying himself as God. This is why they tried to stone him.

And the Holy Spirit is always identifed as being a person, and not just a force. The Holy Spirit is spoken of as He.

Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Three persons. Each one is God in and of Himself, and all three together, are God. One God in three Persons who are one in essence.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The WORD 'trinity' is not found in the Bible. But the concept and the fact of the trinity certainly is. An example from the Old Testament.

Isaiah 48:16 'Come close to me, and listen to this:since the beginning I have not spoken in secret, since the time things began to be, I have been there; and now the Lord God, and His Spirit, has sent me.'

This is the second person of the Godhead, or trinity speaking. This is Jesus Christ, or in Hebrew, Yehsua, which means salvation.

When Jesus said in John 8:58 'Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I AM,' the Jews understood that he was identifying himself as the 'I AM who I AM' who talked to Moses as the burning bush. He was identifying himself as God. This is why they tried to stone him.

And the Holy Spirit is always identifed as being a person, and not just a force. The Holy Spirit is spoken of as He.

Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Three persons. Each one is God in and of Himself, and all three together, are God. One God in three Persons who are one in essence.
From what I know of the I AM, that is the part of God that is within each of us. So when Jesus spoke of the I AM, He was referring to the part of God that He became LIKE. I AM that I AM means one is At-One with God and no longer an image.

The Holy Spirit is what God uses to convey His Divine Love into the soul of man. Without that, it Divine Love cannot enter the soul. Jesus was the first to attain Divinity in this way. So He became the way, the truth and the light by being the image of God. He proclaimed that all could acheive this state through Divine Love.

That's how I understand it.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:33 PM

809 posts, read 163,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
I don't feel the same as you. It's ok though as God is LOVE and He cares for His children even if they do not agree on religion.

From what Jesus has said, He is trying to forget what happened on the cross. Too many people keep reminding Him of that terrible day so He still carries that burden.

If your child was killed because he was teaching a gospel that was expounded on for the religion of the current day, would you like to remember the incident or would you try to tell people what your child was trying to teach?

Imagine a mother who lost a child because he was walking in the light of God and teaching doctrine that added to what your beliefs held and was misunderstood. Could you bear to remember the way he was killed or would you want him remembered for the acts he performed while he was living?
We are talking about the Son of God, not a natural born child. There is a huge difference. My child would be teaching about a Jesus that died for his/her sins, and that would make my child's death more worthy.

Let me ask you another question: How about Communion? Jesus told us to "do this in remembrance of me".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity