Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:03 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,889 times

Advertisements

Are mormons, jehovah's witnesses, fundamentalist Bible Christians, universalists, etc all Christians, despite having diametrically opposed beliefs?

I don't understand the hang-up some folks have with being told that they are not a Christian when they deny the basic doctrines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 11:08 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,022,131 times
The American Heritage Dictionary defines a Christian as "one who professes belief in Jesus as Christ or lives the lifestyle based on the life and teachings of Jesus; one who lives according to the teachings of Jesus.

From Wikipedia:

Active Christians: Committed to attending church, Bible reading, and sharing their faith that salvation comes through Jesus Christ. They also accept leadership positions in their church.[8]
Professing Christians: Are also committed to "accepting Christ as Savior and Lord" as the key to being a Christian, but focus on personal relationships with God and Jesus more than on church, Bible reading or sharing faith.[8]
Liturgical Christians: High level of spiritual activity, mainly expressed by attending and recognizing the authority of the church, and by serving in it or in the community.[8]
Private Christians: Believe in God and in doing good things, but not within a church context. In the American survey, this was the largest and youngest segment.[8]
Cultural Christians: Do not view Jesus as essential to salvation. They are the least likely to align their beliefs or practices with biblical teachings or to attend church. They favor a universality theology that sees many ways to God

Old 08-14-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
The American Heritage Dictionary defines a Christian as "one who professes belief in Jesus as Christ or lives the lifestyle based on the life and teachings of Jesus; one who lives according to the teachings of Jesus.

From Wikipedia:

Active Christians: Committed to attending church, Bible reading, and sharing their faith that salvation comes through Jesus Christ. They also accept leadership positions in their church.[8]
Professing Christians: Are also committed to "accepting Christ as Savior and Lord" as the key to being a Christian, but focus on personal relationships with God and Jesus more than on church, Bible reading or sharing faith.[8]
Liturgical Christians: High level of spiritual activity, mainly expressed by attending and recognizing the authority of the church, and by serving in it or in the community.[8]
Private Christians: Believe in God and in doing good things, but not within a church context. In the American survey, this was the largest and youngest segment.[8]
Cultural Christians: Do not view Jesus as essential to salvation. They are the least likely to align their beliefs or practices with biblical teachings or to attend church. They favor a universality theology that sees many ways to God

Since wikipedia wasn't around 1900 years ago I'd rather not use it as a source. Let's base this off of what the early church taught.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:09 AM

Seems to me kd that a christian doesn't thave to read or adhere to the bible.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:10 AM

193 posts, read 289,157 times
sounds more like you don't feel they're a christian if they don't believe your personal doctrine.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Seems to me kd that a christian doesn't thave to read or adhere to the bible.
a Christian should adhere to a common set of doctrines that are contained within the Bible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn71 View Post
sounds more like you don't feel they're a christian if they don't believe your personal doctrine.

Not MY DOCTRINES, but there are some core doctrines that are necessary. just as there are a set of core doctrines to be called muslim.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:11 AM

So, let me get this straight. You want a definition of Christianity but it has to be on your terms? Seems kinda selfish to me.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:12 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,943,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Did I say that specifically? This is more about the identity of who is/is not a Christian. If you'd like to tackle that question in another thread I'll present my answer there.
That question would be a part of answering your question in the OP

Quote:
I don't understand the hang-up some folks have with being told that they are not a Christian when they deny the basic doctrines.
It is a reasonable question here in order to help you understand. So answer the question.

Quote:
Do you mean to say that a non christian goes to hell for all eternity?

Old 08-14-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
So, let me get this straight. You want a definition of Christianity but it has to be on your terms? Seems kinda selfish to me.
Can you explain how we SHOULDN'T have a common set of doctrines? The early church certainly did.

If other religions have doctrines, why shouldn't Christianity?

Old 08-14-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
a Christian should adhere to a common set of doctrines that are contained within the Bible.

Not MY DOCTRINES, but there are some core doctrines that are necessary. just as there are a set of core doctrines to be called muslim.

Tell us then what the core doctrines are. Specifically the original ones that the apostles wrote, the ones that aren't edited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity