Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 04:36 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,883,847 times

Advertisements

I was recently in a group setting where the topic of seeing God in others came up. We were talking about how sometimes in the darkest of moments comes the brightest of lights. Just wanted to see if you all would share an experience where you truly saw God in someone else.

I have shared this a few years ago on city data, but it is a big one for me. When I was 15, my 16 year old friend was killed by a very YOUNG drunk driver. I was not so much of a Church going gal at this point in my life. Her parents stood up at her funeral and asked that we all pray for the young man who had made such a sad choice and for his family. I remember at the time (keep in mind I was 15) I was so angry that they were forgiving him, but as I have aged I realize in that moment I saw a glimpse of God, His love, and His forgiveness. It was such a dark moment in my life, but now when I look back on it, I see the light in all of it. I know Jenny is in paradise waiting to welcome me home. Just curious of other stories. Sometimes I think its the things we experience about God that connects people, over the disputes about interpretations and things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 08:54 PM

51 posts, read 89,306 times
When I read this post, I immediately thought of my grandfather. He passed away 2 1/2 years ago. He was a very godly man. To give a little backstory to this story I should tell you that here we have a Children's Home which is supported by our denomintion. This home also has a maternity center for young girls who are pregnant and need a place to stay and medical care. Here they can choose to either keep their babies, and are equipped and taught for that decision or they can choose to give them up for adoption. Anyway, the maternity center was going through some renovations and so they asked the area churches for volunteers to be foster homes for these oung girls. Since my grandparents had no children at home and 2 extra bedrooms, they volunteered. They fostered many girls, but one that still keeps in touch is a girl (who is now a woman) named Rachel. Rachel was date raped, which was how she got pregnant, and ended up giving her little boy up for adoption. She was not saved and did not really know much about God when she came to my grandparents home, but she started going to church with them and learned from them. She is now saved and living her life for Christ. She came to my grandfather's funeral, and the one thing she said was, "At a very dark time in my life, when I didn't know Jesus, Jerry was Jesus to me."

It was very comforting and heartwarming for our family to hear that.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:02 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
I see God you Little T, I saw Him in you last year when you offered me and my husband a place to stay during Hurricane Ike.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:18 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,574,394 times
I see God in my church members and I love them dearly as we all are united as one body who love the Lord

Old 08-21-2009, 09:34 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
"It's like you hear the music, but deny the band."

YouTube - The magic of the Casio EX-FH20 High Speed Camera: Flying Geese at Lee Valley

Old 08-21-2009, 09:38 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,598,804 times
I believe the most intriguing situation was when I was living in the Midwest, a place which had no true love for God; a city in NW Indiana. While there I could not find anyone who wanted to know God at a deeper level...no not one.
Then one day this woman who I had attended a small bible study with told me I needed to meet Luc Hernandez because she was learning from the Holy Spirit things she would ask him and he would answer her eventually; and she didn't even own a bible!
This person was shy, and very soft spoken 23 year old with three children. When I met her and she showed me some of the questions she would ask the Lord and then she would write down his answer. It was the most amazing thing I ever seen; it was a type of answer an adult would give a child to put it at a level that he/she could understand and you could find it in the bible that was comparable to what she had written!
It was incredible to see the Lord work in this manner! Because she was not one to read, he gave her the answers. All things are possible with God!!!

PS
And this person was in a deep depression before she surrendered to the Lord! Afterwards she gradually came out of the depression. Isn't the Lord Mighty!!!

Old 08-22-2009, 07:42 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
For me, it's seeing all of creation in the light of the cross. No matter who it is or what they've done, the sacrifice paid for them is staggering...and sufficient.

http://ts1.images.live.com/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1187976844276&id=0ac1d1fd1ab33219 7a363eb846b38558&url=http%3a%2f%2fservantsofthefat her.org%2fyahoo_site_admin%2fassets%2fimages%2fMer cy.251225312_std.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-22-2009, 09:02 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,029,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
I was recently in a group setting where the topic of seeing God in others came up. We were talking about how sometimes in the darkest of moments comes the brightest of lights. Just wanted to see if you all would share an experience where you truly saw God in someone else.

I have shared this a few years ago on city data, but it is a big one for me. When I was 15, my 16 year old friend was killed by a very YOUNG drunk driver. I was not so much of a Church going gal at this point in my life. Her parents stood up at her funeral and asked that we all pray for the young man who had made such a sad choice and for his family. I remember at the time (keep in mind I was 15) I was so angry that they were forgiving him, but as I have aged I realize in that moment I saw a glimpse of God, His love, and His forgiveness. It was such a dark moment in my life, but now when I look back on it, I see the light in all of it. I know Jenny is in paradise waiting to welcome me home. Just curious of other stories. Sometimes I think its the things we experience about God that connects people, over the disputes about interpretations and things.
I like your observation and that would be a godly thing to do to forgive someone that believes they were in error. I don't believe your friend Jenny is in paradise right now - obviously if she was there would be no need to wait for a resurrection which isn't to happen until Christ returns.

Paul

Old 08-22-2009, 08:22 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,598,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
I like your observation and that would be a godly thing to do to forgive someone that believes they were in error. I don't believe your friend Jenny is in paradise right now - obviously if she was there would be no need to wait for a resurrection which isn't to happen until Christ returns.

Paul
You may want to read Mat 27:52 for clarification of resurrected bodies. And also Paul states that away from the body is to be present with the Lord.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:27 PM

14,880 posts, read 17,153,412 times
Quote:

I have shared this a few years ago on city data, but it is a big one for me. When I was 15, my 16 year old friend was killed by a very YOUNG drunk driver. I was not so much of a Church going gal at this point in my life. Her parents stood up at her funeral and asked that we all pray for the young man who had made such a sad choice and for his family. I remember at the time (keep in mind I was 15) I was so angry that they were forgiving him, but as I have aged I realize in that moment I saw a glimpse of God, His love, and His forgiveness. It was such a dark moment in my life, but now when I look back on it, I see the light in all of it. I know Jenny is in paradise waiting to welcome me home. Just curious of other stories. Sometimes I think its the things we experience about God that connects people, over the disputes about interpretations and things
Thank you for sharing, little thirsty. God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity