Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 07:27 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times

Advertisements

June knows that at some point a while back, someone started a thread about Eurgene Peterson's "The Message." However, given the fact that someone recently mentioned this 'translation' to June, she thought she'd "go to the source" (that would be you guys) and ask:

Good? Bad? Recommended? Not? "Read at your own risk?" (June actually bought a copy, so...) An okay rendition to read? Pure evil?

--Whatever your opinion, good or bad, June would be very interested in knowing why, and what you base it upon.

Thanks in advance!

Take gentle care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 09:42 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times
Hello june...

I'll tell you what I believe concerning "The Message."

I hesitate, because I do not want to hinder you in any way, shape or form. So please understand that I come from a point of view that stems from many years of studying Scripture from many different translations. I've had the time to form an opinion on how well I believe each translation expresses the Truth as compared to the King James Version.

I don't know if you have ever read the Bible. Is this your first attempt? I tend to think that you would do well by reading the King James Version...it may be a bit hard to understand, but depending on your ability to retain what you read, (which I think you fare well)...in my honest opinion, I would recommend that you read the King James Version, as oppossed to "The Message."

Why? you may ask. Because the Message is a very, very "loose" version of what the Bible actually says...you miss out on a lot of the most original text available to us today, which is the King James Version. The Message is a very "worldly" way of interpreting the Bible Scriptures. I would love for you to start off with something more "spiritual."

The King James Version, while a little more difficult to understand, is better to "nurse" on...being it is the more "purer" form of milk that you would be "nourished" with. <<< I'm preparing you for "Biblical talk,"......no better time to begin preparing than now...right June?...

Let me add though...if you do begin reading in the Message...wean yourself off of it as soon as you can, and get yourself a King James Version...and grow!!

Love you!
...and I pray for you June...heartfelt prayers!
Verna.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:55 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Hello june...

I don't know if you have ever read the Bible. Is this your first attempt?
One of June's undergraduate degrees is in Religious Studies. She has not only read the bible, she's studied it. (Granted, many, many years ago. That's because June is old.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry

I would love for you to start off with something more "spiritual."
June can respect that. It's one of the reasons she posted this thread: Because she more or less found the little that she has read of "The Message" to actually be 'spiritual.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry

I'm preparing you for "Biblical talk,"......no better time to begin preparing than now...right June?...
I've braced myself, dear Verna!

Last edited by june 7th; 08-23-2009 at 05:54 AM..

Old 08-22-2009, 10:11 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
One of June's undergraduate degrees is in Religious Studies. She has not only read the bible, she's studied it. (Granted, many, many years ago. That's because June is old.)
June?...an undergraduate in Religious Studies?...WOW!!!...who woulda' thunk it? You go girl! Hey, you know when you're getting old?

...when your friends send you e-mails with: "You know when you're getting old when..." jokes in them!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by June
June can respect that. It's one of the reasons she posted this thread: Because she more or less found the little that she has read of "The Message" to actually be 'spiritual.'
Well, if you find it spiritual, and it blesses you...what can I say except that I wish you all the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by June
I've braced myself, dear Verna!
LOL!!!

Last edited by june 7th; 08-23-2009 at 05:54 AM..

Old 08-22-2009, 11:11 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,910 times
never heard of "The Message"...
I GOOGLED it, and from what I read it seems like a nice bit of work.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:32 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
I just ordered a copy of the message..I have been reading some of it from the many little inspirational books I enjoy....Someone asked me if I had ever read it and something told me "read it, all of it" so that is exactly what I will do This thread made me do a search on the author and his reason for the Message..Here is a snippet that sealed the deal for me..You know, I always found the King James version beautiful in the flowery poetic words, but I am sorry that I just do not understand the old English language..I never did like Shakespeare either

Snippet taken from here..Message (MSG Bible) - Version Information - BibleGateway.com

Language changes. New words are formed. Old words take on new meaning. There is a need in every generation to keep the language of the gospel message current, fresh, and understandable—the way it was for its very first readers. That is what The Message seeks to accomplish for contemporary readers. It is a version for our time—designed to be read by contemporary people in the same way as the original koin� Greek and Hebrew manuscripts were savored by people thousands of years

Old 08-23-2009, 02:03 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,568 times
I have never read the Message...
however, upon doing some research on the internet, I found myself wanting to get it.
Trouble is, there are many versions.
There is a book called the Message which only contains Psalms, there is a book called The Message which only contains the NT...and a few others...
So, my question is....Is there a book called The message which is comprised of the whole bible? Or do I have to buy pieces and parts?

Old 08-23-2009, 03:57 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *sherry* View Post
I have never read the Message...
however, upon doing some research on the internet, I found myself wanting to get it.
Trouble is, there are many versions.
There is a book called the Message which only contains Psalms, there is a book called The Message which only contains the NT...and a few others...
So, my question is....Is there a book called The message which is comprised of the whole bible? Or do I have to buy pieces and parts?
He actually wrote it and published it in segments..The complete bible is now finished and has been available for a few years..I purchased one through Amazon..

Old 08-23-2009, 06:35 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
He actually wrote it and published it in segments..The complete bible is now finished and has been available for a few years..I purchased one through Amazon..

Thanks Miss Blue! Someone else mentioned getting it at Amazon...
Will be my next stop.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:14 PM

142 posts, read 501,626 times
I think all types of Christians like Peterson's The Message. My moderate to liberal mainline church uses it for the Scripture lessons on some Sundays. I've read of evangelicals who like it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity