U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 04:40 PM

19,023 posts, read 13,491,569 times

I have encouraged every spouse at the receiving end to get out of the marriage. So, in a sense you can say I have encouraged adultery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 04:42 PM

48,923 posts, read 45,129,582 times
depends if you wana do it by the book. these days "abuse" means he raised his voice while you were screaming at him.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:54 PM

3,034 posts, read 2,927,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
You need to look up the definition of sexual abuse. It doesn't matter what YOU would define it as. And what is wrong with a spouse refusing to have kids?! Why would you want a child born to family where 1 of the parents did not want it?!
Good point. Plus before anyone gets married isn't that one of the main topics you discuss before you marry the person--kids, money, sex, and spirituality?

Old 08-24-2009, 07:03 PM

3,034 posts, read 2,927,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The sad thing is, people like you REALLY think you understand the Bible and therefore speak for God like you are an authority
I never said that I understood the bible in it's entirety. Where did you get that from? God doesn't need me or anyone to speak on His behave. But Scripture is written for us to dialogue and discuss especially concerning our obedience to God. If you read the Bible, 2Timothy 3:16 brillantly says

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

So since I interpret that verse literally, please tell me how my stance on divorce makes me sound like an authority when all that I am doing is letting the Holy Spirit convict me without leaning to my own understanding?

Old 08-24-2009, 07:09 PM

4,569 posts, read 3,152,243 times
If you can't grow, you've got to go. Marriage is an institution, but shouldn't make anyone feel institutionalized. There are many people who think that they get gold stars from god for suffering through an abusive relationship. 'tain't so. No one should have to bend so much that they break.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:36 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,267,474 times
Got a verse to support your views?

If you don't, then don't even pretend your advice is worth posting...cuz it's not.

There are a lot of verses that deal with marriage, just go looking and you should find something that either teaches in support of your idea, or teaches against it...

one way or the other you will know if you were right or a fool...

Old 08-25-2009, 12:17 AM

182 posts, read 347,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
With that said, the bible makes it clear that no Christian has any scriptural grounds (unless it's the death of his or her spouse) to freely marry again.
Actually, at Matthew 19:8,9 Jesus states that adultery is a reason for divorce that would leave one free to remarry.

Matthew 19:8,9

8Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning.

9I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."

Old 08-25-2009, 05:49 AM

7,460 posts, read 6,875,210 times
June has a friend who is a minister. We drive nearly identical cars. Exact same make, year, and color. Time and time again upon leaving work, June would find herself trying to unlock what she thought was her car, only to realize: Ooops! Not mine!

She has since learned to look for the only thing that differentiates his car from hers: The bumper sticker he has on the back of his that says: "End Domestic Violence Against Women." As someone who really, (and June means really) believes in the purpose, role, and sanctity of marriage, even he has been known to say that if there is abuse in a marriage that can't be addressed and thereby resolved/done away with, that a woman should leave.

-One "no" vote from June in response to the OP, and one from a fellow Toyota driver, by proxy.

Take gentle care.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:25 AM

1,518 posts, read 1,691,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Is it just me? But, I am finding it quite interesting that some Christians think that divorcing an abusive spouse and getting remarried justifies the second marriage. The Word of God should be our sole authority in regard to when a christian should divorce or separate from his or her spouse. I don't want to harp on this too much.

But I strongly feel that the Lord has led me to start this post for anyone who wants to dialogue about this topic especially when someone gave me a rep, but admonished me for agreeing with another poster that this person feels is not a true christian. All that I am trying to be is obedient to God's word as the Holy Spirit has helped me understand it.

Let me answer my own question before anyone misinterprets what my intent is. I don't think anyone should stay in a marriage if his or her life is in constant danger and if that person's spouse is abusing them. With that said, the bible makes it clear that no Christian has any scriptural grounds (unless it's the death of his or her spouse) to freely marry again.
This is the revelation God has given me regarding this topic:

Lets take a look at Hosea 3:1...

The Lord said to me, "Go show your love to your wife again, though she is loved by another and is an adultress. Love her as the Lord loves the Israelites though they turn to other gods and love the sacred raisin cakes.

Physical marriage between a man and wife is a "type" of representation of the the spiritual marriage of the Bride (the Body or Church) to Yeshua. And just like there are many bad marriages in real life so it is with us (the Body) in our relationship and love with Jesus. Are we at the maturity level we should be by now...based on this discussion..no. Do we seek the Lord with all are hearts and mind to do his will in our lives...no, not many. Do we put into practice the things of God that would make us a spotless Bride...no. Yes people, we prostiute ourselves, we commit adultery and divorced our Lord.

So let's ask ourselves has Yeshua divorces us because of our unfaithfullness, our adultery we commit by not obeying him? Does he not accept us when repent and turn form our wicked ways and remarry us back to God?

That is why in Rom 7, Paul gives the illustration from Marriage...
Read verses 1-3

v4 So my brothers, you also died to the law through the body of Christ that you may belong to another to him who was raised from the dead in order that we might bear much fruit to God.

Let's move on in our maturity and get away from this petty debate.

PS
I know many will ignore this statement because they LOVE to debate and LOVE their immaturity but I did what I was suppose to do.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:53 AM

9,562 posts, read 5,098,658 times
I do have to agree with June....."End Domestic Violence Against Women." This is a very delicate subject. Through the years many of women are being violated beyond reasoning. There is no reason for any one person to place their HANDS upon another individual. I don't care who you are, what has been said or done. No one has the right to hurt another individual by physical, mental, spiritual abuse to control that person.

And I do know with all my heart that God never, never intended for a man or woman to treat their spouse/boy-girl friend in such ways as we see today.

Now I believe that if your life is in danger God does not expect that individual to stay in that relationship. As far as divorce that depends on each situation. But I do believe in separation until what ever may or could resolve what is happening.

I do believe as a woman in God's holy word. We are not to divorce and we are not to get remarried, unless that spouse becomes deceased. This is what the scripture teaches us.

I am one of those women who was physically abused severely. And did separate from my spouse. But I would not divorce but left it to him. Because of what the scripture does teach and say, if the unbelieving partner wants to leave the marriage so be it. We are to live at peace with all men (people).

But God did change our situation and changed him. We just never know what is before us. My situation was one of the good endings.....but there are many out there that are not. We can talk about this all day, throw scripture to the one in that kind of relationship, yet unless you are one in that sort of situation you can not give such unreasonable advice and say God says.....!!!
Usually the ones that are saying, "stay no matter what, because God says.....", have never been in this kind of relationship and have no idea of the pain physically and emotionally one is going through with a spouse who is abusing them. And what it causes psychologically..... as June can agree and understand what I am saying.....

I do know....God will protect that one in this kind of relationship and many times He does remove them out of the place where they are not loved, cherished, respected, and honored, treated with dignity, as He loves us!!! Jesus says, "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her (Eph.5:25)..... Well abuse, hitting, beating her (the church) is not how Jesus loved the church....!!

Blessings......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity