Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 04:17 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
So many self righteous church fundamentilist take the verses where Jesus spoke about marriage and divorce out of context. IMO,they are just like the pharisees. King David committed adultery with a married woman. Does anyone believe he is going to burn in eternal flames? In their opinion he was perpetually sinning because of his relationship with basheba. People who say a person should stay in a marriage no matter what the circumstances have no idea what Jesus was talking about. They are the same people who commit adultery in their heart. They act self righteous because their sin is hidden,but not from God. Everyone will give an account some day. Even the secret sins of the heart. That`s why Jesus said let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Take the plank out of your eye before talking about the splinter in someone elses. Most people are too embarrassed and ashamed to admit they commit adultery in their heart but they want to condemn someone elses actions. If you want to take Jesus`s words literally and out of context then if you`ve committed adultery in your heart your spouse has grounds for divorce. Anyone never ever secretly committed adultery in their heart? Are you pure? You and God know the truth even if you are too ashamed to admit it.
spm62

I agree they are only judging by what is condemning them in their own hearts .

They can quote the written word as much as they like, it does not impress me and more importantly it does not impress God.

They are white washed walls.

12Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, 13because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment!

If they spoke in accordance with this verse of scripture , they would get a listening ear from me and God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 11:15 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
spm62

I agree they are only judging by what is condemning them in their own hearts .

They can quote the written word as much as they like, it does not impress me and more importantly it does not impress God.

They are white washed walls.

12Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, 13because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment!

If they spoke in accordance with this verse of scripture , they would get a listening ear from me and God.
They lose me when they blatantly lie. To say you have NEVER looked at another person with lust to any degree...well...let`s just say lying is a sin as well. We all know what Jesus said about liars.

Last edited by spm62; 08-27-2009 at 12:14 PM..

Old 08-27-2009, 11:32 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
This is taken from Watchman Nee's "Table in the wilderness" daily reading for today , which happens to be my birthday

The mighty eternal truths of God are half obscured in scripture so the natural man may not lay hold of them. God has hidden them from the wise to reveal them to babes, for they are spiritually discerened.

His word is not a study book.

It is intended to meet us in the course of our day to day walk in the Spirit and speak to us there.
It is designed to give us knowledge that is experimental because related to life.
If we are trying through systematic theology to know God we are absolutely on the wrong road.

Watchman Nee August 27th Table in the Wilderness.

This is what we dealing with on this forum ,natural men laying hold of the obscured word which they have studied with their natural minds , then using it to correct everyone with their obscure interpretation of the word which is obscure to them.

Very dangerous people in my opinion.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:41 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,116 times
Default Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to YOU

Quote:
This is what we dealing with on this forum ,natural men laying hold of the obscured word which they have studied with their natural minds , then using it to correct everyone with their obscure interpretation of the word which is obscure to them.
Exactly.

Oh, by the way - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Have a great day today!

Old 08-28-2009, 01:04 PM

240 posts, read 437,231 times
Mark 10:5-9 READ PLEASE..............If you are being abused it has to be some hardening of the heart therefore you have the right yo divorce.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:12 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenlisa View Post
Mark 10:5-9 READ PLEASE..............If you are being abused it has to be some hardening of the heart therefore you have the right yo divorce.
I think you need to drop back and look at the context of the Text there...

Jesus was not saying it was OK to get divorced,,,
Rather he said that Moses came up with that idea because people are hard ....

Then Jesus lays down the law the way God views the topic...
"Let no man...."
That ends the chance that the "hard Heart" defense works to support divorce....LOL

Old 08-28-2009, 08:46 PM

792 posts, read 1,176,512 times
Being a Christian woman myself who was married to a malicious man-
I'll tell you-
When we married neither one of us were saved. We drank, smoked crack, etc and only by the grace of God I didn't die.
To make a long story short-
I became a new creature in the Lord and my husband didn't. He was never physically abusive to me but his words and actions could cut to the bone.
He was and is an alcoholic.
My husband wanted me to be a housewife (he made good money) so I stayed home. We have no children. Since I was a new Christian I was studying and praying continually.
By the grace of God I ate, slept and drank the Lord and his Word.
My ex's behavior was horrible to live with. Coming home drunk at 2am, feeding the dogs the brisket I'd cooked for supper, screaming at me, smoking dope, etc. I used to cry and cry because he didn't love me. Oh, he said he did but it was with a conditional love. He did not fulfill the need inside of me that a husband should fulfill.
So I went to God's word and studied everything I knew about what God says about divorce and my situation.
One thing I remember reading was this- "Which does God hate more, the divorce or the reason for the divorce?"
Okay, so he hates them the same. Now what?
I asked the elder woman at church whom I sat under in many Bible studies, "What am I supposed to do?"
She told me to stay with him as that's what God says.
"Stay with him? You mean when he brings dope into the house and does illegal things I'm supposed to turn the other cheek? And when the police come and find the dope I go to jail along with him?"
She said, "Yes. Whatever the consequences are of being obedient to Christ, accept them."
I thought, "Wait a minute....that's not wise."

1 Corinthians 7:15 (NIV) says

15 "But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so..."

There's the word "leaves." Which means, "separate himself."
As I studied and prayed I came to this conclusion:
My husband was never a part of the marriage in the first place.
He had unknowingly separated himself from the beginning. He wasn't committed and he wasn't even in a relationship with me. It was always all about him- how he could get what he wanted.
When God's word seems to be quiet or it's a gray area, rely on wisdom. All wisdom is of God.
Was it wise for me to live with this man? We were renting a house. He punched holes in the walls, broke the glass in the door. He had no regard for the Landlord's property. He was cruel to our pets...on and on and on.
Is this honoring the Lord? Is it God's desire that I take this abuse?
Of course not. BUT, I did not divorce my husband. One morning I gave him a choice- Get help or get out. He chose to get out. He said he couldn't live the way I lived. I told him I couldn't live the way he lived either.
He left and would call me from time to time asking when I was letting him come home. I said, "When you get help."
He asked me why I didn't divorce him, his other 2 wives had.
And I told him divorce isn't what I want.
When he didn't change and I didn't let him come home he filed for a divorce and we got divorced.
I remember one afternoon- He'd get all showered and dressed to go "out."
Out to a bar and a night of who knows what. Me being a Christian, I had no desire to do those things anymore. So I sat and cried when he left. I cried out to the Lord to please help me.
I had an emptiness inside me. An empty hole that my husband was supposed to fill but didn't.
That was the last time I ever cried over my husband. God reached down and touched my heart and filled the void with Himself.
God is still filling that void to this day. i thank Him and can do nothing but praise Him for His love towards me.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:32 PM

51 posts, read 89,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
Being a Christian woman myself who was married to a malicious man-
I'll tell you-
When we married neither one of us were saved. We drank, smoked crack, etc and only by the grace of God I didn't die.
To make a long story short-
I became a new creature in the Lord and my husband didn't. He was never physically abusive to me but his words and actions could cut to the bone.
He was and is an alcoholic.
My husband wanted me to be a housewife (he made good money) so I stayed home. We have no children. Since I was a new Christian I was studying and praying continually.
By the grace of God I ate, slept and drank the Lord and his Word.
My ex's behavior was horrible to live with. Coming home drunk at 2am, feeding the dogs the brisket I'd cooked for supper, screaming at me, smoking dope, etc. I used to cry and cry because he didn't love me. Oh, he said he did but it was with a conditional love. He did not fulfill the need inside of me that a husband should fulfill.
So I went to God's word and studied everything I knew about what God says about divorce and my situation.
One thing I remember reading was this- "Which does God hate more, the divorce or the reason for the divorce?"
Okay, so he hates them the same. Now what?
I asked the elder woman at church whom I sat under in many Bible studies, "What am I supposed to do?"
She told me to stay with him as that's what God says.
"Stay with him? You mean when he brings dope into the house and does illegal things I'm supposed to turn the other cheek? And when the police come and find the dope I go to jail along with him?"
She said, "Yes. Whatever the consequences are of being obedient to Christ, accept them."
I thought, "Wait a minute....that's not wise."

1 Corinthians 7:15 (NIV) says

15 "But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so..."

There's the word "leaves." Which means, "separate himself."
As I studied and prayed I came to this conclusion:
My husband was never a part of the marriage in the first place.
He had unknowingly separated himself from the beginning. He wasn't committed and he wasn't even in a relationship with me. It was always all about him- how he could get what he wanted.
When God's word seems to be quiet or it's a gray area, rely on wisdom. All wisdom is of God.
Was it wise for me to live with this man? We were renting a house. He punched holes in the walls, broke the glass in the door. He had no regard for the Landlord's property. He was cruel to our pets...on and on and on.
Is this honoring the Lord? Is it God's desire that I take this abuse?
Of course not. BUT, I did not divorce my husband. One morning I gave him a choice- Get help or get out. He chose to get out. He said he couldn't live the way I lived. I told him I couldn't live the way he lived either.
He left and would call me from time to time asking when I was letting him come home. I said, "When you get help."
He asked me why I didn't divorce him, his other 2 wives had.
And I told him divorce isn't what I want.
When he didn't change and I didn't let him come home he filed for a divorce and we got divorced.
I remember one afternoon- He'd get all showered and dressed to go "out."
Out to a bar and a night of who knows what. Me being a Christian, I had no desire to do those things anymore. So I sat and cried when he left. I cried out to the Lord to please help me.
I had an emptiness inside me. An empty hole that my husband was supposed to fill but didn't.
That was the last time I ever cried over my husband. God reached down and touched my heart and filled the void with Himself.
God is still filling that void to this day. i thank Him and can do nothing but praise Him for His love towards me.
I think you did the exact right thing! You absolutely should not have stayed in that situation, especially with all the illegal things going on. You definitely should have gotten away, but I think you made the right decision getting out but staying married. He decided to divorce you, and I don't believe God will hold that against you at all. In fact, I believe God is probably very pleased with you because you did what was right for yourself, tried to urge you husband to get the help he needed, and honored your vows. I commend you on your strength, wisdom, and example, an example not only to others but to your husband.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:07 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,116 times
Quote:
Get help or get out. He chose to get out.
You did what you felt the Lord would have you do.

I will not endorse violence, crack smoking, and so on, in my home, either. Especially because I have children.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:20 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,423,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor's Helpmeet View Post
I think you did the exact right thing! You absolutely should not have stayed in that situation, especially with all the illegal things going on. You definitely should have gotten away, but I think you made the right decision getting out but staying married. He decided to divorce you, and I don't believe God will hold that against you at all. In fact, I believe God is probably very pleased with you because you did what was right for yourself, tried to urge you husband to get the help he needed, and honored your vows. I commend you on your strength, wisdom, and example, an example not only to others but to your husband.
I agree. All we have to do is trust and be obedient to God and He will deliver us out of ANY bad situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity