U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 09:15 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,770,565 times

Advertisements

The best English translation that I'm aware of for the Bible is the Douay-Rheims Version IMO.

I saw a post asking asking about this awhile back and here is my answer.

"The reason is that the Douay-Rheims is a careful word-for-word translation of the Latin Vulgate Bible (the official Bible of the Church)"

The Douay-Rheims was the only English Catholic Bible in use for almost 400 years and is still the most accurate translation ever produced.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 09-30-2010 at 09:58 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 01:49 AM

8,430 posts, read 7,755,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
The best English translation for the Bible is the Douay-Rheims Version.

"The reason is that the Douay-Rheims is a careful word-for-word translation of the Latin Vulgate Bible (the official Bible of the Church)"

The Douay-Rheims was the only English Catholic Bible in use for almost 400 years and is still the most accurate translation ever produced.

(The King James Version is not a contender since it is Protestant.)
I don't see how it matters as long as the reader can understand it but perhaps the question was the best english catholic bible, however this has books that some may be unfamiliar with... I did not see the question. Why would you want a bible that was translated from the original to latin then to english tho? seems that it would be sorta like that game we played as kids where you whisper in the ear of the person next to you until after the last kid repeats it, what they hear is not what you said...

Last edited by katjonjj; 08-31-2009 at 02:15 AM..

Old 08-31-2009, 04:22 AM

1,531 posts, read 2,736,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
The best English translation for the Bible is the Douay-Rheims Version.

(The King James Version is not a contender since it is Protestant.)
I've been through the NAS, NIV and I learned alot from them but it came a point in my life that something was missing and things were not explained completely in the other versions. So one day I ordered the Complete Jewish Bible and WOW what a difference! The exclamation points, the order of the books and the wording changes things. It is harder to read sometimes so I still refer to the others but I wish I learned from that bible first but everything is in God's will.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:12 AM

17,968 posts, read 11,140,318 times
It does not logically follow that if a translation is not Catholic it cannot be a best translation.

Concordant Literal New Testament is the best.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:51 AM

3,586 posts, read 5,028,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
I've been through the NAS, NIV and I learned alot from them but it came a point in my life that something was missing and things were not explained completely in the other versions. So one day I ordered the Complete Jewish Bible and WOW what a difference! The exclamation points, the order of the books and the wording changes things. It is harder to read sometimes so I still refer to the others but I wish I learned from that bible first but everything is in God's will.
I agree that the Jewish Bible is a good bible, but can you imagine if you learned Hebrew and Greek and read the bible in that language, how much more you could learn. You are saying wow to that, just begin to read the bible in that language, you will understand things much more. The hebrew and greek bible has even more than the Jewish bible in english.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:36 PM

7,513 posts, read 10,834,721 times
It can be Martian and the Lord can open it up to you; conversely, it can be kindergarten level English and still be hidden to us without His opening our eyes.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
I agree that the Jewish Bible is a good bible, but can you imagine if you learned Hebrew and Greek and read the bible in that language, how much more you could learn. You are saying wow to that, just begin to read the bible in that language, you will understand things much more. The hebrew and greek bible has even more than the Jewish bible in english.
So true, so true. I will go get one. Thanks!

Old 08-31-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
It can be Martian and the Lord can open it up to you; conversely, it can be kindergarten level English and still be hidden to us without His opening our eyes.
I did learn PLENTY from the NIV translations because the Holy Spirit opened up the words..no preacher teaching for me. But when I read the Jewish one, more was opened so that I could see and the meaning of some things changed due to mistranslation.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:50 PM

593 posts, read 798,218 times
There's not a Bible on earth that will send a man to hell.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:46 PM

13,301 posts, read 20,019,294 times
For myself it makes not much difference which version I read from, because I always say a prayer before I open my bible that the Spirit will be my translator, my teacher and my guide through the scripture.. I mostly use the Niv and the Message in my daily reading, because both are on my night stand and are in more understandable language..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity