Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 07:58 PM

4,436 posts, read 4,860,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
The OP is a staunch Catholic!
Op is lacking in "truth in advertising"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 08:04 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,460,487 times
Yes, I do have problems with Catholicism, and have voiced such.

One thing that I have to say as far as the mass goes . . . at one particular Catholic church the congregation holds hands for the Our Father, and Lifts their hands in unison at the end, that moved me at the time.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:44 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,320,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post

One thing that I have to say as far as the mass goes . . . at one particular Catholic church the congregation holds hands for the Our Father, and Lifts their hands in unison at the end, that moved me at the time.
Hey,
even catholics have problems with catholicism

Old 10-18-2009, 07:15 AM

4,436 posts, read 4,860,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post

The Church I am attending now does the same thing , first time I went there I did not hold hands, never did that before, but since then I have been holding hands. Its a very warm and friendly progressive parish which I fell in love with.

I guess if you view the Mass/Eucharist Celibration as a communal event where members are gather(when two or more are gathered in my name) together to celibrate the Eucharist it kind of makes sense to hold hands in unity.
I know some look at the Mass as a one on one with God to be done in silence without any interaction with others, but you can have a one on one relationship with God 24/7.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:32 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,681,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
The Church I am attending now does the same thing , first time I went there I did not hold hands, never did that before, but since then I have been holding hands. Its a very warm and friendly progressive parish which I fell in love with.

I guess if you view the Mass/Eucharist Celibration as a communal event where members are gather(when two or more are gathered in my name) together to celibrate the Eucharist it kind of makes sense to hold hands in unity.
I know some look at the Mass as a one on one with God to be done in silence without any interaction with others, but you can have a one on one relationship with God 24/7.
Whoa, is this from Ted? Finally something other than priest abuse. Good start, Ted

Old 10-18-2009, 12:17 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,858,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
The OP is a staunch Catholic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Can you be saved when love is not involved?
I mean when I went to the Catholic church the whole mass was written out on paper. There was no need to understand what it was you were reading out loud.
A Catholic mass feels nothing but a ritual to me, but the thing I always had a problem with is that you can't ritualise love.
You don't know what the Mass is then. I believe that you think you do but you really don't. It's a pity since it's quite beautiful and moving. It's a whole lot more than mere ritual.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
You don't know what the Mass is then. I believe that you think you do but you really don't. It's a pity since it's quite beautiful and moving. It's a whole lot more than mere ritual.
I'm very patient with those who are unaware of the liturgy of the mass. They really don't know from what the speak.

It's the ones who are very aware, yet still believe it's nothing more than ritual and magic that I'm more compelled to engage with.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:59 PM

63,637 posts, read 39,930,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
It's the ones who are very aware, yet still believe it's nothing more than ritual and magic that I'm more compelled to engage with.
That would be me. However . . . that does not mean it cannot be useful for US to attune OUR minds to the divine. Worship only has value to US . . . not God.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That would be me. However . . . that does not mean it cannot be useful for US to attune OUR minds to the divine. Worship only has value to US . . . not God.
It's my belief, when "in tune" with the divine,

the Divine "smiles".

I may use words that express "relationship", like Dad and kids,

but I understand you may choose others.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:19 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,460,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post

Truly spiritual worship is very meaningful to God. I believe there is scriptural evidence to show that worship holds value to God.

Psalms 45:11; 132:7

He Himself seeks true worshippers.

John 4:23
Psalms 14:2

He desires our worship (Song of Solomon 5:2; John 4:23-24). It is to Him
a very special "treasure" (Psalms 147:10-11; Isaiah 33:6).

He calls us His "jewels," His "precious treasure."

Exodus 19:5
Psalms 135:4
Malachi 3:17

We are precious to Him (Isaiah 43:4); His desire is toward us (Psalms
132:13, 14).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity