U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 05:14 AM

1,550 posts, read 2,960,861 times

Advertisements

Praying can be complicated. I know that the power of prayer can bring about miraculous changes. I have had many people tell me to pray for people and situations and I do but should prayer be done once and we stand on our faith that it will be answered or should we pray continuously ( that would be a full time job)?

For example, praying for someone who has no desire to change... should we stop praying for this type of person? Or praying about a situation that need immediate results. How do you know when God has really answered the prayer in a situation like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 05:27 AM

2,345 posts, read 3,815,316 times
Pray without....I was thinking breakfast....you shouldn't pray without eating breakfast.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:13 AM

3,772 posts, read 9,361,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Pray without....I was thinking breakfast....you shouldn't pray without eating breakfast.
You definitely want to pray before you eat my breakfast.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:07 AM

3,553 posts, read 4,373,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
You definitely want to pray before you eat my breakfast.
rofl

Old 09-03-2009, 02:12 PM

1,550 posts, read 2,960,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
rofl
Praying w/o breakfast is called fasting But seriously guys.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:23 PM

3,772 posts, read 9,361,474 times
I believe once is enough,the Lord hears us even if we don't feel this is the case and and sometimes we feel more praying would be better,but he hears our prayers . He answers prayer in His time not our time.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:10 PM

21,417 posts, read 29,545,781 times
Luke 18:1 "One day Jesus told His disciples a story to illustrate their need for constant prayer and to show them they they must never give up".

To persist in prayer and not give up does not mean endless repetition or painfully long prayer sessions. Constant prayer means keeping our request continually before God as we live for Him day by day, believing He will answer. As we persist in prayer, we grow in faith and hope.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:38 PM

13,459 posts, read 21,208,025 times
I doubt God is hard of hearing or forgot about what we first asked for in our smallest yet sincere and humble prayer..He has never made me feel that I need to remind him..Yet I do pray for certain situations daily..Like t He will continue to bless my family with good health, etc..

Old 09-05-2009, 10:26 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,361,521 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Praying can be complicated. I know that the power of prayer can bring about miraculous changes. I have had many people tell me to pray for people and situations and I do but should prayer be done once and we stand on our faith that it will be answered or should we pray continuously ( that would be a full time job)?

For example, praying for someone who has no desire to change... should we stop praying for this type of person? Or praying about a situation that need immediate results. How do you know when God has really answered the prayer in a situation like this?

I understand that the prayers of a "righteous man" availeth much
Pray God's word, He said that it will not return unto Him void"
since He cannot lie and is obligated to perform His word, I would stick that
and not heap up empty phrases, and let Him take care of everything else, God's timing is not the same as ours, so keep praying and the key (believing)
He will do what He said He would do.
God Bless You

Old 09-05-2009, 11:47 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,042,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post

For example, praying for someone who has no desire to change... should we stop praying for this type of person? Or praying about a situation that need immediate results. How do you know when God has really answered the prayer in a situation like this
Well....eyewrist, I believe it depends on whom and what God has called us to pray for. In the years of my walk with Him, He will, I believe bring it continuously to our hearts the person or situation He is wanting us to pray for and stand in the gap.
We may only be led to pray one, two times and then it seems God has lifted the burden for that prayer (person or situation) from our hearts!
And yet there are those we pray a life time for.....
Some of the people and situations God has brought before me to pray, He has given confirmation of those whom He had me praying for.....and some, not!!
But God always answers prayers whether we receive a confirmation or not! But I will not stop praying until He no longer brings it before me and releases me from the burden of another.....

This has always been my experience in intercessory prayer.

A few examples:

1. My husband, for eighteen years I prayed for his salvation, everyday! Two years ago he turned his life over to Christ....Amen!

2. A friend just recently was dealing with some areas in her life and the Lord reveal to me to pray about it. She was not aware of me praying. A few weeks later, we were talking on the phone and she shared with me about how the Lord delivered her from this in her life.....Now, she didn't know the Lord led me to pray about this disposition in her life...but God gave confirmation to me through the phone call that He had answer the prayer He had led me in praying for and keeping her before Him....until He had a hold of it!

Hope this kind of helps you somewhat.....
It is a wonderful thing to be called by God to stand in intercessory prayer for our brothers and sisters in the Lord....and most of all the non-believing world!!

Blessings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity