U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 11:22 AM

10,183 posts, read 10,549,080 times

Advertisements

Universalism Redemption would be wonderful if it was fully supported by scripture. That every other thread on this board deals with the blatant differences in scriptures between UR and ET shows that God meant to hide the truth from the wise and reveal it to the babes, hence the reason why we have so many debates going between the two groups without resolution.

God has revealed the truth to one group.

We just don't know which, though each group firmly and sincerely believes they have the truth.

If ET is wrong, then not much harm done because it'll all come out in the wash on judgment day and everyone will walk through the pearly gates. But if ET is right, then tremendous harm will be done to those who promoted UR and especially those who believed it and lived their lives according to UR.

My worry chiefly is the subtle similarity I see between UR and New Ageism.

New Ageism: all roads (religions, philosophies, etc) lead to heaven (or happiness in the afterlife)
UR: All souls get to heaven regardless of the lives they led on earth, some just quicker than others.

Is it just me, or do others see this similarity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 11:27 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,814,651 times
No you are both wrong.

There is no heaven nor is there a hell or a god for that matter. Unless you can empirically prove either exist.

We do however know that the hell verses you ET folk like to cite are mistranslations so the balance is in favor of the CU's who have figured this out.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:28 AM

6,370 posts, read 5,630,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Universalism Redemption would be wonderful if it was fully supported by scripture. That every other thread on this board deals with the blatant differences in scriptures between UR and ET shows that God meant to hide the truth from the wise and reveal it to the babes, hence the reason why we have so many debates going between the two groups without resolution.

We just don't know which, though each group firmly and sincerely believes they have the truth.

If ET is wrong, then not much harm done because it'll all come out in the wash on judgment day and everyone will walk through the pearly gates. But if ET is right, then tremendous harm will be done to those who promoted UR and especially those who believed it and lived their lives according to UR.

New Ageism: all roads (religions, philosophies, etc) lead to heaven (or happiness in the afterlife)
UR: All souls get to heaven regardless of the lives they led on earth, some just quicker than others.

I see that if someone believes in ET then they haven't studied the scriptures very thoroughly. The universalism argument doesn't leaving you embracing contradiction as does ET.

Paul

Old 09-05-2009, 11:52 AM

10,183 posts, read 10,549,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
I see that if someone believes in ET then they haven't studied the scriptures very thoroughly. The universalism argument doesn't leaving you embracing contradiction as does ET.

Paul
But that isn't the question I asked, Paul. My question was, "is there a similarity between the two in that both teach we get into God's presence eventually."
If so, then what's wrong with blowing off Christianity and Jesus and adopting New Ageism?

Old 09-05-2009, 12:13 PM

10,290 posts, read 8,042,759 times
Quote:

No, it's not just you....thrillobyte!
There are many whom agree with you, they just haven't posted!! Why? There are many reasons......
But there is that hope in some that feel led by God, just one more post (enduring) and it will lead that one to the truth of God's word.

Yes, Universalism is right there with New Ageism....but this has been going on "New Ageism" for years, just different names for it now and yes, has been leading many astray and away from Jesus and the Truth!

Blessings...

Old 09-05-2009, 01:03 PM

11,822 posts, read 9,815,113 times
1 John 3:15
Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life in him.

It's not just you. Its the "deer in the headlight" syndrome. Its amuzing how this is spun to fit UR.

Some can't believe God would dare to hold thoughts accountable...well ya if Jesus is the truth.
Oh, I know...Jesus was using some kind of slang here since eion only means this life....like "hey murderer...get a life"

You're correct, after all the airwaves stop, UR teaches that all roads lead to heaven.
Twin

Old 09-05-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
No you are both wrong.

There is no heaven nor is there a hell or a god for that matter. Unless you can empirically prove either exist.

We do however know that the hell verses you ET folk like to cite are mistranslations so the balance is in favor of the CU's who have figured this out.
Touch yourself. You touched a god. In the absence of all other gods the SELF becomes the god.

Paul

Old 09-05-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
But that isn't the question I asked, Paul. My question was, "is there a similarity between the two in that both teach we get into God's presence eventually."
If so, then what's wrong with blowing off Christianity and Jesus and adopting New Ageism?
There isn't a similiarity. Because the Universalist doesn't want to exist if ALL will not be saved. Take the case of Moses. Moses would RATHER be blotted out of the book of life if God wouldn't take away the sin of all the others. Moses would rather remain death for eternity (to not exist) then to exist with a god that doesn't care to take away the sins of others.

Paul

Old 09-05-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post

You're correct, after all the airwaves stop, UR teaches that all roads lead to heaven.
Twin
I don't know any universalist that teaches that. I know of only universalist that teach there is ONE road that leads to Heaven but we know that God will put us all on that ONE Road.

Paul

Old 09-05-2009, 01:30 PM

5,925 posts, read 5,683,849 times
I believe the many times the distinction is not made whether a person is talking about Christian universalism or Unitarian universalism.

Which are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity