Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 06:00 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,497,970 times

Advertisements

Where do thoughts come from? Who or what originates a thought. Are we just creatures made up of thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 06:32 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,521,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Where do thoughts come from? Who or what originates a thought. Are we just creatures made up of thoughts?
In my basic chem class in college my professor used thoughts to give a deeper understanding of matter. If you can't weigh them... they can't be matter.
I weigh my thoughts all the time... but somehow they don't make me any heavier

I think this question is one of those, "why is the sky blue" type things.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:41 PM

Well, I`ve been thinking about this lately. We talk about the spirit and what a soul is, but what are we made of really? Our bodies from the dust of the ground. When we die our bodies decay along with our brain, which stores out thoughts and memories. What is left. What substantive thing about us is Godlike? If you strip away our outer shell we are just a bunch of bones and organs made of matter. Our thoughts and our awareness are stored in our brain. But the brain decays and returns to the earth. What happens to the thoughts inside our brain? Some will say we are spirit. But what is spirit? Our thoughts, our awareness of who we are, our consciousness is in our brain. Do we know what spirit is? Our reasoning capacity lies in our brain. We became aware of our existence at some point as young children,maybe 1 or 2. We learned everything we know from conception. It is stored in our brain. But that brain decays. If a person suffers brain damage due to some horrible accident or such,he may be unable to reason or be aware of who he is. So where does the spirit come in to play? How can the spirit be the part of man that thinks and reasons when we know if a person. suffers brain damage and ends up in some type of vegetative state, he no longer can reason.
I really would like to hear from some christian brothers and sisters on the matter. If you have nothing but derogatory statements to make or cannot respond in a mature way then please don`t respond at all. I`m just curious, thanks.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:45 PM

63,770 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
The important part of us is made up of thoughts AND feelings . . . it is the eternal part. The feelings we attach to our thoughts are what "tune" our soul and determine the "key" we play in. We can re-tune our thoughts by activating the memories of them and attaching a different set of feelings to them . . . (in Christian parlance this would be "repentance.")

Old 09-07-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The important part of us is made up of thoughts AND feelings . . . it is the eternal part. The feelings we attach to our thoughts are what "tune" our soul and determine the "key" we play in. We can re-tune our thoughts by activating the memories of them and attaching a different set of feelings to them . . . (in Christian parlance this would be "repentance.")
Thanks mystic. But don`t thoughts originate in the brain? When the brain decays, what happens to those thoughts and memories? What happens to the feelings associated with those thoughts? The organ that held those thoughts and memories is now decaying in the ground.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:56 PM

63,770 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
We learned everything we know from conception. It is stored in our brain. But that brain decays. If a person suffers brain damage due to some horrible accident or such,he may be unable to reason or be aware of who he is. So where does the spirit come in to play? How can the spirit be the part of man that thinks and reasons when we know if a person. suffers brain damage and ends up in some type of vegetative state, he no longer can reason.
I really would like to hear from some christian brothers and sisters on the matter. If you have nothing but derogatory statements to make or cannot respond in a mature way then please don`t respond at all. I`m just curious, thanks.
Our body and brain is the "production studio" that "plays and records" our "soul song"(thoughts and feelings). If you break or destroy the studio and its recordings . . . that will destroy access to them . . . but the "originals" that have already been "broadcast" still exist within the universe as non-baryonic vibratory energy . . . (perhaps ET on some distant planet is receiving the broadcast.)

Old 09-07-2009, 08:01 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,521,971 times
Quote:
Well, I`ve been thinking about this lately. We talk about the spirit and what a soul is, but what are we made of really? Our bodies from the dust of the ground. When we die our bodies decay along with our brain, which stores out thoughts and memories. What is left. What substantive thing about us is Godlike? If you strip away our outer shell we are just a bunch of bones and organs made of matter. Our thoughts and our awareness are stored in our brain. But the brain decays and returns to the earth. What happens to the thoughts inside our brain? Some will say we are spirit. But what is spirit? Our thoughts, our awareness of who we are, our consciousness is in our brain. Do we know what spirit is? Our reasoning capacity lies in our brain. We became aware of our existence at some point as young children,maybe 1 or 2. We learned everything we know from conception. It is stored in our brain. But that brain decays. If a person suffers brain damage due to some horrible accident or such,he may be unable to reason or be aware of who he is. So where does the spirit come in to play? How can the spirit be the part of man that thinks and reasons when we know if a person. suffers brain damage and ends up in some type of vegetative state, he no longer can reason.
I am curious too. It happened to my cousin, the brain damage from an accident when she was 16 i think. She had to learn everything over again. to walk, talk...etc. She is the same today as before the accident. Same personality, mannerisms... I believe there must be something we cannot see.. an energy if you will, that makes us consciously different. Can it store memories? I have no idea. But somehow the person still exists without the body's cooperation.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I am curious too. It happened to my cousin, the brain damage from an accident when she was 16 i think. She had to learn everything over again. to walk, talk...etc. She is the same today as before the accident. Same personality, mannerisms... I believe there must be something we cannot see.. an energy if you will, that makes us consciously different. Can it store memories? I have no idea. But somehow the person still exists without the body's cooperation.
Thanks for responding. Another example would be if a person has amnesia and has to relearn everything. Everything is tied to the brain as far as the generation of thought. I `m just curious as to how this plays into the spirit and what constitutes a man.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:20 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,498,990 times
Great question to ponder over late at night beneath a star studded sky when I seem to think about these sorts of thing..s

Even though our physical brains can be can be destroyed by accidents and the diseases of the mind, I feel deep down inside that if a person had a relationship with God that that still exists within him somewhere in a place that only God is and that will never be revealed by any MRI..Maybe the brain doesn't work, but somehow I think the Spirit will..

Old 09-07-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Great question to ponder over late at night beneath a star studded sky when I seem to think about these sorts of thing..s
Funny, that`s what I was doing last night. Lying there trying to ponder God,man, and the deeper issues of life..death.

Quote:
Even though our physical brains can be can be destroyed by accidents and the diseases of the mind, I feel deep down inside that if a person had a relationship with God that that still exists within him somewhere in a place that only God is and that will never be revealed by any MRI..Maybe the brain doesn't work, but somehow I think the Spirit will..
What exactly is the spirit in your opinion. I could see if our thoughts derived from some invisible place within us that science couldn`t figure out or understand. Then I could say,it`s the essence of God within a man. But they have done a lot of studies on the brain, alive and dead, sleeping and awake. These electric impulses,chemical synapses,neuro transmitters and such,that seem to cause thought in our brain, intrigues me. I just wonder if the spirit of a man is the real man, then why don`t the thoughts and reasoning spring form there and not an earthly material organ such as the brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity