Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 10:05 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,192,243 times

Advertisements

I believe that when we have psychopaths milling about our streets, we should put them out of their misery (or, more precisely, ours).

Why do we spend MILLIONS of dollars feeding and housing people that want to get out of prison just so they can rape and kill us, our daughters, our mothers, our sons, etc??!!

On the other hand, do I believe that we need to torture some kid we picked up from who-knows-where because he is Muslim? No!

Do I believe that anyone who has ever killed deserves to be killed? No!

I think the death penalty should be used sparingly.

The justice system has always been corrupt in the U.S., but, no worse than many other places around the globe, for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 05:36 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,623,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
OK, your first question, the angry tone is because hatred born in the level of stupidity exhibited here makes me angry. Are you, or were you also a racist, hating people of a different color purely because of the color of their skin. I suspect so, as you freely brand millions and millions of people to be without morals simply because they are Atheists. Learned hatred is very ugly, speaks very poorly of the student and the teacher, but clearly the ugliness is being exhibited here.
Oh yes, right, I think we all get that. After all, you're "surrounded by stupid people."

This also answers my second question in that, when a person presumes to actually be god, put himself in the place of the real God, then, apparently, they would be in a position to pronounce moral judgments and go about pronouncing their own system and standard of morality.

Quote:
If you can believe in imaginary deities, clearly you should have no problem with the concept that a person can and does have a moral standards in the absence of imaginary friends.
Well, being that you yourself appear to believe that you are god, I suppose that you're in a great position to school us concerning other "deities" as being nothing more than "imaginary deities."

Amazing. Secular humanists insist on having it both ways. On the one hand, they say there is no God and everything that does exist is simply the product of some eternal 'time + matter + chance' formula. There is no meaning for existence and no apparent reason for existence. Then they try to turn around and sneak "morality" and "meaning" back in through the side door.

...and people like you go to the Christianity Forum to pronounce moral judgments on others while, at the same time, being totally unable to explain how it is that objective moral values could possibly exist in the absence of a Transcendent Being.

Utter absurd contradictory nonsense.

Quote:
The topic here is the death penalty, care to answer?
You're "god" aren't you? You tell me what my answer is.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:40 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
Oh yes, right, I think we all get that. After all, you're "surrounded by stupid people."

This also answers my second question in that, when a person presumes to actually be god, put himself in the place of the real God, then, apparently, they would be in a position to pronounce moral judgments and go about pronouncing their own system and standard of morality.

Well, being that you yourself appear to believe that you are god, I suppose that you're in a great position to school us concerning other "deities" as being nothing more than "imaginary deities."

Amazing. Secular humanists insist on having it both ways. On the one hand, they say there is no God and everything that does exist is simply the product of some eternal 'time + matter + chance' formula. There is no meaning for existence and no apparent reason for existence. Then they try to turn around and sneak "morality" and "meaning" back in through the side door.

...and people like you go to the Christianity Forum to pronounce moral judgments on others while, at the same time, being totally unable to explain how it is that objective moral values could possibly exist in the absence of a Transcendent Being.

Don't need to be a god, as you wear your hatred, bias, prejudice, and intolerance like a suit of clothes and any man could sense you're are a religious hypocrite with a heart full of bile and a head full of nonsense.

Again the topic is as a christian, how do you justify playing god yourself by supporting the death penalty? What dark and hateful side of your being do you use to justify such barbarism?

Old 06-20-2010, 05:18 PM

191 posts, read 457,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
God has appointed civil governments and charged them with maintaining justice in this world, now to what extent in dealing with capital or corporal punishment? God never told us, somehow He has left that up to the governments to decide.

Aren't governments made of people? So, people are deciding. So, this OP is valid because governments are made of people. This almost sounds like the "I was born the King and therefore I get to do what I want because God made me King," argument.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:11 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,223,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post

So true!!!

Old 01-10-2017, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 469 times
The ten commandments clearly state. Thou shalt not kill. Jesus said he who is without sin cast the first stone. Revenge is mine said God. Jesus spoke only of peace and forgiveness, he did not agree with the death penalty he suffered it. To compare war to the death penalty is pretty lame. Maybe God would hate all war but Catholic doctrine says it must be just, no war crimes, no none army people as targets, care of prisoners. To fight to stop a mad man like Hitler, to kill because you are fighting at the time for your life, to have a good cause is one thing. To coldly end a life, when a man is now helpless is easy to show mercy is hard. Mercy should be shown. If they are a danger then for everyone s safety lock them up for good. Punish and teach the save able one s to one day repent and join society. Jesus clearly said you will be judged as you judge so if you want mercy for your sins, show mercy. Only God is perfect only he can judge and a cold killing by sane people against helpless people no matter how unworthy is a sin, the sin of Murder.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:57 PM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather oates View Post
The ten commandments clearly state. Thou shalt not kill. Jesus said he who is without sin cast the first stone. Revenge is mine said God. Jesus spoke only of peace and forgiveness, he did not agree with the death penalty he suffered it. To compare war to the death penalty is pretty lame. Maybe God would hate all war but Catholic doctrine says it must be just, no war crimes, no none army people as targets, care of prisoners. To fight to stop a mad man like Hitler, to kill because you are fighting at the time for your life, to have a good cause is one thing. To coldly end a life, when a man is now helpless is easy to show mercy is hard. Mercy should be shown. If they are a danger then for everyone s safety lock them up for good. Punish and teach the save able one s to one day repent and join society. Jesus clearly said you will be judged as you judge so if you want mercy for your sins, show mercy. Only God is perfect only he can judge and a cold killing by sane people against helpless people no matter how unworthy is a sin, the sin of Murder.
Actually, God who gave the ten commandments, one of which is 'you will not murder,' also commanded the death penalty for those who commit murder.

Genesis 9:6 "Whoever sheds man's blood, By man his blood shall be shed, For in the image of God He made man.

God forbids murder. He does not forbid capital punishment. He commanded it. And He gave the command for capital punishment long before He gave the Mosaic Law to Israel. The Mosaic Law provides for the death penalty for a number of offensives. Since capital punishment was commanded by God before He ever gave the Mosaic Law, one cannot claim that because we are not under the Mosaic Law that the death penalty is no longer valid. It remains a valid principle.

And Jesus Himself stated that the death penalty was the commandment of God.

Matthew 15:3 [Jesus speaking] And He answered and said to them, "Why do you yourselves transgress the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition? 4] "For God said, 'Honor your father and mother,' and, 'He who speaks evil of father or mother is to be put to death.'

And personally, I am a strong advocate for the death penalty. When I read of the cold hearted murder of innocent people, either singularly or in mass, by some person, I want him off this earth. I want him executed under the provision of the law of capital punishment of whatever country he lives in. Unfortunately, many states in the United states don't have the death penalty and I think that's a shame. Cold blooded murderers have lost their own right to live and should not be allowed to live.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:10 PM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Your continued defiance of the truth is to your own destruction.
Oh geesh. Did I really use to post like that?

Old 01-10-2017, 08:22 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Oh geesh. Did I really use to post like that?
Six years can have an impact on our spiritual development, Mike. I have been surprised by some of my earlier threads as well.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:44 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,707,455 times
It seems that the death penalty is a necessary evil because when people commit heinous murders, the LAW is given the power to put people to death for the protection of society. It is sad all around, but I don't think it is cruel since we all have a death penalty at some point. I would only recommend it being given when there is overwhelming evidence proving a person committed the crime though, because the truth is, sometimes people are wrongly convicted of a crime they did not do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity