Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 04:01 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,480,126 times

Advertisements

I went to a wake for my uncle-in-law last night and the pastor talked for 10 mins about salvation. He literally wanted us to get saved right then and there so we all would see my uncle in heaven rather than burning in hell...

Anyone else out there think this was inappropriate?

He also talked about contradictions in evolution briefly... and stories about himself.

I just sat there in wonder. Now I did not know this pastor at all, but we were there to share stories about our deceased relative. To laugh, remember him, and share.

If I had spoken out that we were all gonna go to the same place at death and told him to get on with it.. that would have been inappropriate.

Can anyone explain to me why a pastor would do that?

Or maybe tell me I am off my rocker?

or show me a bible verse or two where this would be appropriate?

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 04:37 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,776,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I went to a wake for my uncle-in-law last night and the pastor talked for 10 mins about salvation. He literally wanted us to get saved right then and there so we all would see my uncle in heaven rather than burning in hell...

He also talked about contradictions in evolution briefly... and stories about himself.

I just sat there in wonder. Now I did not know this pastor at all, but we were there to share stories about our deceased relative. To laugh, remember him, and share.

If I had spoken out that we were all gonna go to the same place at death and told him to get on with it.. that would have been inappropriate.

Help!
It sounds like your uncle wasn't a churchgoer, and the pastor didn't know your uncle. Sometimes, this is what they do, when they do not know the deceased.
The family is in charge of the funeral and really should have had someone who knew your uncle, to speak.
The same thing happened at my father-in-law's funeral. He didn't attend church, and his funeral was thrown together with as little trouble as possible.
It's rather a sad thing to witness...

Old 09-09-2009, 05:07 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,005,697 times
How would he even know where in heaven your uncle is? There are many mansions and to say that everyone needs to be saved is out of line. How does he even know that they aren't saved, if he knows the true definition.
Funerals should be for celebrating and remembrance. Preaching isn't required.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:28 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,189,479 times
Quote:

Help!
Unfortunately, because most don't truly know what God's Word says...they try to evangelize everyone. I have learned from serious study that it is God who calls and if a person has not been called...they will not come but will think we are all nutcakes (1 Cor 2:14). I only share the Gospel when I feel led by God to do so or if the person directly asks me questions. Our best witness is the way we live our lives.

Last year my Mom passed and she wanted a Catholic funeral because that is what she was raised in. I was appauled when the priest told my father that because she had suffered in life (the pain of her illness) she was assured her place in heaven. There was no mention that she believed in Jesus for her salvation, which she did. I've never found a scripture where suffering was a prerequisite for salvation...silly Catholics.

So, as you can see, people do all kinds of silly things they shouldn't be doing and we just have to be looooooooooong suffering through their ignorance.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:40 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,518,787 times
Depends......Sometimes in how he addressed the people, if he said, "you are all digusting, dispicable sinners and you deserve hell just like this man you came here to say your goodbye to!!!!!" then I say, that is inappropriate but if he is begging and pleading with people to come to salvation then he was well within biblical "guidelines" He spoke what was on his mind. He had a heavy burden from the Holy Spirit that needed to be lifted and because he did it scripturally then I have no reason to doubt that the Holy Spirit led him.

In the end who would he rather apologize to, man or God? Honestly I can't think of one bible verse where what he did was inappropriate. He will receive a reward in heaven for what he did at that funeral.

Personally I can't think of a better way to celebrate my life then to see people saved at my funeral all to give God the glory.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 09-09-2009 at 07:01 AM..

Old 09-09-2009, 07:05 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,803,600 times
I've never liked that approach some preachers take at funerals, twice I have found sermons at funerals inappropriate. You do not criticize the dead at their funeral, in their defense though, I believe as you stated is a technique to try and reach people they have deemed as lost. They have them in church, so they try to take advantage of the situation. I have heard one sermon where the guy basically shook his head at the death of young man who was battling a drug addiction, everyone was crying, he was really young and vocalized his frustrations of not being able to beat it quite often, genuine repentance IMO, at another, it was the funeral of a friends mother and he said she had adolescent ways and called her out on specific shortcomings. They both said nice things as well, but maybe everyone there DIDN'T know that. I just feel like funerals are to celebrate the life that is gone and give family and friends peace in their grief...not for pointing the finger at the dead when they cannot even defend themselves.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:13 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,917,441 times
Quote:

Inappropriate based upon the beliefs of his church? Not likely. Now if the people directly involved with the funeral process had talked with the pastor and he violated their wishes about what he was going to talk about, then perhaps, but I do not have that information to go by.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:01 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,697,462 times
Quote:
The Sales Theory of Relativity: ABC = Always Be Closing! (http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Sales-Theory-of-Relativity:-ABC-=-Always-Be-Closing!&id=427796 - broken link)

Old 09-09-2009, 08:39 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,803,600 times
how is the theory of relativity relative to this? are you saying the preacher is failing to 'sell' church successfully by using this technique?

Old 09-09-2009, 09:09 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,480,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
It sounds like your uncle wasn't a churchgoer, and the pastor didn't know your uncle. Sometimes, this is what they do, when they do not know the deceased.
The family is in charge of the funeral and really should have had someone who knew your uncle, to speak.
The same thing happened at my father-in-law's funeral. He didn't attend church, and his funeral was thrown together with as little trouble as possible.
It's rather a sad thing to witness...
My uncle went, I am sure he believed, and he raised his kids in the church. This was the pastor of the church he went to, the pastor his brother introduced him to.

It was only family there. In my uncle's own home. With kids and grandkids. His only brother left alive and his kids/grandkids were there....everyone there felt comfortable enough to open the fridge and make something to eat... you know?

So then, knowing this, was it appropriate?

and thanks for the comments so far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity