Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 08:56 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,133,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
First and foremost I had no argument with Obama talking to the nation's youth but my argument was the content of the speech from a person who claims to be a Christian. Any true Christian recognizes that all the good they do is because of God and all the bad we do is our true sinful adaemic nature being displayed.

A true Christian would always give God the glory, we would recognize that without God we are nothing; just a pile of dirt. Everything we acomplished in life whether we are a believer or not is the result of God's goodness. We want to be better in life; be the best student, be the best employee, be the best husband so as to please God and do what is right to glorify God and not from a selfish, self fulfillment manner not to say, that is evil in of itself but trying to do it on your own either thinking God is not needed or wanted makes it evil and sinful.

The ironic part was that his speech undid what he sought out to promote among the children (to better themselves for the good of their country) which can only result without God in one's life. Obama's speech was there to inspire our nation's youth but instead of God being the focal point it was President Obama. From this Christian's perspective it was an empty message, same old wordly shallow message with a different face. This was not some sinister agenda of President Obama it was just the result of his worldly thinking-that we can still live worldly with God in words but not in action. If he is a Christian then he is a very immature Christian. Pray that Obama grows spiritually.
where was it ever said he was a christian? he NEVER mentions GOD attended a church?that promoted hate and intolerance--led by a man that takes God's name in vain?

WHY DID EVERYONE CHOSE TO IGNORE WHAT LACK OF CHRISTIANITY THIS PERSON HAS????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 09:44 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone2long View Post
where was it ever said he was a christian? he NEVER mentions GOD attended a church?that promoted hate and intolerance--led by a man that takes God's name in vain?

WHY DID EVERYONE CHOSE TO IGNORE WHAT LACK OF CHRISTIANITY THIS PERSON HAS????
I cannot judge a man's salvation, if he says he is then I must accept it at his word. All I can do is question his salvation.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:54 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Well, I have been wondering why a person who says they love God would be so interested in making sure all women who want to can murder their unborn. We cannot know for sure what is in his heart, but he does toot his own horn a lot.

I was listening to a local preacher the other day and he said that if he had treated another person unfairly, his choice for apologizing would not be to invite that person for a beer. Some people were just not brought up right and have a lot to learn. In situations like this, I guess the answer is to pray for the person, but in the meantime you keep them away from your children and try to make sure they don't cause any more damage as president than can be helped.

It is a difficult balancing act. I would have let my children listen to the speech of the president. I may be wrong, but there is a place in the Bible where it explains that every authority on earth is allowed to be there by God, so we should respect that, but we do have to make sure our children know to use Christian judgment about worldly things.

I see a man who thinks he is doing right and wants to do right, but just does not realize what the right thing to do is. You use an example like that to teach your children how a person who is not taught right can cause much damage when they get in a position of power.

Last edited by NCN; 09-10-2009 at 10:03 AM..

Old 09-10-2009, 11:17 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,914 times
Quote:
All valid points you made from a worldly perspective but what about a theological one? again where is the verse to support your belief? I can only go from scripture and if you can show me scripture then and only then can I see you having a case?

How are you any different from Hitler, Pol Pot, Mao? what is it about you or me that doesn't drive us to what they did?
Sola Scriptura - It's a reference book with no glossary and no authorized teacher. So if you don't understand it or misinterpret it, you have falsehoods. Good luck with that.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:54 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Sola Scriptura - It's a reference book with no glossary and no authorized teacher. So if you don't understand it or misinterpret it, you have falsehoods. Good luck with that.
That's all we have is God's word. Sorry but I am not going to listen to one fallible man and base my whole belief doctrinal system on one fallible man. Your system is not perfect either.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:17 PM
juj

Quote:
That's all we have is God's word. Sorry but I am not going to listen to one fallible man and base my whole belief doctrinal system on one fallible man. Your system is not perfect either.
It's hardly one fallible man. It's hundreds and thousands of men and the traditions that Jesus and the Apostles gave them directly and whose Authority has been passed down through the ages for almost 2000 years. It's the same organization which helped compile the Bible that you use. It's an organization that is protected from the gates of hell by Jesus, Himself. (Matthew 16:18) What I don't understand is how you can base your entire belief structure on your interpretation of the Bible but you can't give any credibility to the organization whose traditions helped create the Bible. It just don't make sense. And please don't tell me that's what faith is. Because that is false. Faith is there is a triune God and faith is that Jesus died for our sins and faith is only God given grace will save us from eternal death. It is God's mysteries that involve the reliance of faith. Religion is the framework of which forms and funnels our faith. It is important that religion be logical in it's structure and system. But most importantly, it's doctrines must have the Authority of Jesus Christ and His Word of protection of falsehoods. The Catholic Church has that. Do YOU have that?

But wait a minute. Aren't you dung that is not capable of doing anything good, but only sinful things. And YOU'RE interpreting the Bible. Yikes!!!

Old 09-11-2009, 09:21 PM
juj

As far as the Obama speech goes, it was perfectly okay and actually seemed to have a conservative sentiment. Obama, the conservative..........Na!

Old 09-12-2009, 11:35 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,162 times
Obamas speech did not cause a problem for me, I pay attention to what my children are taught. But Fundy makes some good points and in all Obama bears no good fruit for the Lord and promotes the Lord no way, not even actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity