Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the Bible accurate in its quote of Jesus' words?
Yes! Undeniably so. 8 30.77%
No, humans had a hand in it so it can't be infallible. 6 23.08%
It takes faith in God to believe the Bible is infallible. 3 11.54%
It's a book written by humans and is hearsay. 9 34.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 10:27 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,527,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Why can't we? Are we not Christian. We can believe He created the world and the universe in 6 days but we can't trust that He got all that He wanted to convey in a little book.
I don't believe it was 3 literal days so that didn't work well but I get the drift. However I didn't say do we get the message... I said can we trust that what is quoted of Jesus is what he actually said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 10:37 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I don't believe it was 3 literal days so that didn't work well but I get the drift. However I didn't say do we get the message... I said can we trust that what is quoted of Jesus is what he actually said.
I know what you said, and I asked. why can't we?

Old 09-15-2009, 11:20 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
The title of the thread is "What did Jesus REALLY say."

Can we trust that Jesus' words within quotation marks are actual quotes?
I do.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:51 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,340 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
It's a dead letter unless the Spirit gives you understanding of it . There is no doubt there is mistranslation from the original text and even less doubt that through the centuries dead doctrines have been formed by carnal minded christians not understanding the scriptures through the Spirit.

Luke 24

27And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself

Thanks!!
Good post,
The Holy Spirit is the key. I just wish that everyone knew this, there would
not be so much confusion.
Love is the key.. there is not enough love
I do believe this is true " Trust in he Lord with all thine heart, and lean not
unto thine own understanding, in all thy ways acknowledge Him, he will direct thy path"
Final Answer

Old 09-15-2009, 01:32 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post

Thanks!!
Good post,
The Holy Spirit is the key. I just wish that everyone knew this, there would
not be so much confusion.
Love is the key.. there is not enough love
I do believe this is true " Trust in he Lord with all thine heart, and lean not
unto thine own understanding, in all thy ways acknowledge Him, he will direct thy path"
Final Answer
You say, Holy Spirit is the key or love? and yet you quote scripture? My point is if the Holy Spirit is the key then how can you know you have the right spirit without scripture to guide you? To paraphrase Tina Turner. What does love got to do with it?

Isn't it a combination of all things?

Old 09-15-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I know what you said, and I asked. why can't we?
UMMMMM perhaps cuz those who wrote the bible weren't there when Jesus was tempted in the wilderness... and second... there is no record that they wrote it down right then and there. Think of a court stenographer... that is an accurate record.

And yet you still believe it's word for word what he said?

Let me ask you this...if it were a paraphrase rather than a direct quote, would that change the bible's message in your mind?

Old 09-15-2009, 10:03 PM

Looks like the verdict is in! The bible is indeed hearsay! Good hearsay but nonetheless... not really worth it to fight over specific words.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:30 PM

63,808 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
Repeating after you...... There are no errors in the bible!!!
AHEM....
hallelujah....
As long as the absurd magic-driven fundamentalist literalist beliefs . . . (which fly in the face of all reason and knowledge) . . . lead you to Jesus and love of God and each other . . . there is no real harm done. However . . . the least you could do is properly identify yourselves as Bibleans . . . and not Christians . . . since you revere the Bible so and elevate it to idol status above the clear and unambiguous example of Jesus's life and death at our hands. I personally would be concerned that it approaches too closely to idolatry of something designed only to give us hope and guidance . . . NOT become our infallible God in all things. Jesus and the Holy Spirit have that job.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
As long as the absurd magic-driven fundamentalist literalist beliefs . . . (which fly in the face of all reason and knowledge) . . . lead you to Jesus and love of God and each other . . . there is no real harm done. However . . . the least you could do is properly identify yourselves as Bibleans . . . and not Christians . . . since you revere the Bible so and elevate it to idol status above the clear and unambiguous example of Jesus's life and death at our hands. I personally would be concerned that it approaches too closely to idolatry of something designed only to give us hope and guidance . . . NOT become our infallible God in all things. Jesus and the Holy Spirit have that job.
Amen... is that a word? Bibleans?

I think its a good word.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:37 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
How Faith Comes...
...Bless Your Word Holy Father...

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Romans 10:17

This Scripture states the clear and simple way that faith comes to us. We receive God's faith through His Word.
God's Word is two things: it is the Written Word, and the Living Word. We have God's FAITH when His LIVING WORD is living in us!
The Living Word NEVER changes, for IT IS ETERNAL. IT ALWAYS IS. As never before we need to understand that God's Word is ETERNAL, that it does not have beginning of life and that it has no ending. It is not just something people have written about God even under the influence of the Holy Spirit; IT IS GOD HIMSELF.
God Himself has no beginning and no ending. You cannot separate God from His Word. God AND HIS WORD ARE ONE.

Luke 4:4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, that man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.
Luke 4;32 And they were astonished at his doctrine: for his words was with power.
Luke 8:11 Now the parable is this; The seed is the word of God.

The Word of God is infallible, and eternal, no matter what you say, it doesn't change this fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity