U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 11:39 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,911,546 times

Advertisements

In some circles of Christianity, the above passage is often presented as prophetic evidence whenever there is some outbreak of revival on a local or regional level. Supposedly, such outbreaks are supposed to be one of the 'end times' signs that will precede the second coming or, 'the day of the Lord."

What I have noticed is that this is nothing new. Generations of Christians have been pointing to this passage during their ties of revival as proof that their generation is THAT generation that will be around to see the return of Jesus. The interesting thing is, this has been going on since the early days of Jesus, believed and preached by even the foundation of the faith. In Acts 2, Peter gets up and starts preaching, claiming that the strange behavior of the Jewish followers of Jesus was, you guessed it, the fulfillment of Joel 2:28-32. So convinced were they that they were THAT generation, they set up a communal society to share all things and resigned themselves to await the soon return of Jesus, keeping busy preaching their faith.

Seems like it has been 2,000 years of this. Is this kind of strange even suspicious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 12:05 AM

8,435 posts, read 8,676,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
In some circles of Christianity, the above passage is often presented as prophetic evidence whenever there is some outbreak of revival on a local or regional level. Supposedly, such outbreaks are supposed to be one of the 'end times' signs that will precede the second coming or, 'the day of the Lord."

What I have noticed is that this is nothing new. Generations of Christians have been pointing to this passage during their ties of revival as proof that their generation is THAT generation that will be around to see the return of Jesus. The interesting thing is, this has been going on since the early days of Jesus, believed and preached by even the foundation of the faith. In Acts 2, Peter gets up and starts preaching, claiming that the strange behavior of the Jewish followers of Jesus was, you guessed it, the fulfillment of Joel 2:28-32. So convinced were they that they were THAT generation, they set up a communal society to share all things and resigned themselves to await the soon return of Jesus, keeping busy preaching their faith.

Seems like it has been 2,000 years of this. Is this kind of strange even suspicious?
I used to have nightmares as a child because my church used to have a prayer meeting on New Years eve and all the kids would have to watch this video...
Talk about child abuse!!!

YouTube - A Thief In The Night ~ clip 1

Still kinda bitter about it! I used to check to make sure my parents were there every night for months after watching it.

Can we let it go already! 2000 years is long enough...

Old 05-03-2010, 01:11 PM

I tried to watch the video but it has been removed.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:16 PM

17,966 posts, read 12,944,158 times
Quote:

But they were THAT generation had Israel not been set aside in accordance with God's secret counsels. Paul explains all of this in Romans 9 through 11.

Israel has been set aside until the complement of the nations enters (see Romans 11:25).
Once the complement enters then will God begin fulfilling the prophetic scriptures as they pertain to Israel.

If you read Acts you will kindly note that it is a discourse on how Israel as a whole rejected the kingdom and Messiah and how they were set aside and the door of faith was opened to the nations.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:16 PM

If I remembered my point it was that 2,000 years ago we have Peter claiming that his generation was fulfilling the "prophecy" in the book of Joel yet 2,000 years later we have folks claiming that they are living in the generation that these signs are being fulfilled. Let's not forget ALL of the other peoples along the way. How many "last days" are there?

Old 05-03-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
If I remembered my point it was that 2,000 years ago we have Peter claiming that his generation was fulfilling the "prophecy" in the book of Joel yet 2,000 years later we have folks claiming that they are living in the generation that these signs are being fulfilled. Let's not forget ALL of the other peoples along the way. How many "last days" are there?
Well I would think if the last days started 2000+ years ago then even though some think of it as one period collectively... that is a long "last days" it would have been more clear if the "last days" were changed to "last millenniums" .
Perpetual last days perhaps...

Old 05-04-2010, 10:37 AM

17,751 posts, read 15,658,618 times
We are now in the last days of May...apparently.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:24 AM

17,966 posts, read 12,944,158 times
Quote:
It is because for almost 2000 years people have not been rightly dividing the word of truth.

Peter was right that his generation was fulfiling that prophecy from Joel. Had Israel as a whole believed in Christ and received the kingdom the rest of prophecy would have been fulfilled. But what Peter did not know was the secret hid from generations but given to Paul. Israel was to be set aside and faith given to the nations UNTIL the complement of the nations enters:

Rom 11:25 For I am not willing for you to be ignorant of this secret,
brethren, lest you may be passing for prudent among yourselves, that
callousness, in part, on Israel has come, until the complement of the
nations may be entering."

Once that comes, prophecy will be take off where it left concerning Israel.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
It is because for almost 2000 years people have not been rightly dividing the word of truth.

Peter was right that his generation was fulfiling that prophecy from Joel. Had Israel as a whole believed in Christ and received the kingdom the rest of prophecy would have been fulfilled. But what Peter did not know was the secret hid from generations but given to Paul. Israel was to be set aside and faith given to the nations UNTIL the complement of the nations enters:

Rom 11:25 For I am not willing for you to be ignorant of this secret,
brethren, lest you may be passing for prudent among yourselves, that
callousness, in part, on Israel has come, until the complement of the
nations may be entering."

Once that comes, prophecy will be take off where it left concerning Israel.

As a lesson in precaution based on my own personal experiences, anytime I see, read or hear anyone use the word 'secret' or 'hidden' in a sentence referring to "truth" I immediately ignore it. I'm not so sure why god would be holding secrets and leaving it up to mere men to reveal it to the rest of us as if we don't have ears too.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I used to have nightmares as a child because my church used to have a prayer meeting on New Years eve and all the kids would have to watch this video...
Talk about child abuse!!!

YouTube - A Thief In The Night ~ clip 1

Still kinda bitter about it! I used to check to make sure my parents were there every night for months after watching it.

Can we let it go already! 2000 years is long enough...
Quote:
I tried to watch the video but it has been removed.
It must have been moved... here is another:

YouTube - A Thief in the Night (opening sequence)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity