U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 12:34 PM

6,961 posts, read 16,168,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_firefly View Post
how can i "gather knowledge" when you really didnt say anything

Your question, I think, was so are the episcopals the only ones that ordain gays......The answer is NO.

Not all men go around proclaiming to the world that they are gay. They can be ordained in any denomination. There are no rules against it except those that require a man be of good character. That's when the problems start. who decides who has good character? Suppose he is a celibate gay?

Why does a man have to be attracted to women in order to serve God?

At the time of ordinations, is his sexual preference known? If it isn't, even though it might be suspected, the chances are very good that he will be ordained. There aren't any denominations that turn away candidates because they have so many that they can't place them all.

In fact, from what I have seen, the main thing is that they can breathe on their own. I am not even sure that some of them can read and write. I would prefer intellegence, compassion and understanding over sexual preference anyday. I don't have any idea what God thinks on the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 01:48 PM

2,408 posts, read 7,275,534 times
Quote:
if your gay and an episcopalian can you become a priest?
I believe this is the case. A church here in Raleigh that I had visited used to be in the Episcopal Diocese of North Carolina and is now affiliated with the Diocese of North Kigezi in the Anglican Province of Uganda. This came as a result of controversy in the Episcopal Church allowing homosexual priests.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:46 PM

12,411 posts, read 9,228,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
I believe this is the case. A church here in Raleigh that I had visited used to be in the Episcopal Diocese of North Carolina and is now affiliated with the Diocese of North Kigezi in the Anglican Province of Uganda. This came as a result of controversy in the Episcopal Church allowing homosexual priests.
Yes. The African church is very against gays and some churchs in the US are changing their allegance to fall under the auspices of the African churches.

The US churches, however, tend to operate independently and there is no strong unifiying body that can speak for all of them regarding this issue.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:49 PM

2,408 posts, read 7,275,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes. The African church is very against gays and some churchs in the US are changing their allegance to fall under the auspices of the African churches.

The US churches, however, tend to operate independently and there is no strong unifiying body that can speak for all of them regarding this issue.
I am not Episcopal and a bit confused about the statement that the Episcopal church in the USA operate independently. I had read

Anglicans Online | USA

Quote:
The[SIZE=2] US Episcopal Church came into existence as an independent denomination after the American Revolution. Today it has between two and three million members in the United States and Central America, all of which are under the jurisdiction of Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori.[/SIZE]
If so, there is a unifying voice, namely the the Presiding Bishop.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:29 PM

3,585 posts, read 6,799,705 times
The presiding bishop is not an administrator for the individual dioceses and churches, however. Each diocese elects its own bishop and each congregation hires its own priests and deacons. The presiding bishop cannot overturn the decision of a diocese in the selection of a bishop.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:32 PM

443 posts, read 1,093,170 times
If a certain faith is going to prohibit gays from holding religious office, shouldn't they do the same for fat people?
Gluttony is also a sin, right?

Old 10-24-2007, 04:43 PM

2,181 posts, read 3,730,861 times
Quote:
so its just the episcopalians that let gay men become priests
There are other Christian denominations that permit gays and lesbians to be ordained ministers. They just don't call them priests. For instance, some Methodist Churches will ordain gays and lesbians, though the official teaching of the Methodist Church is opposed to it. But the most universal of all Christian denominations that allow it are the Metropolitan Community Churches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
If a certain faith is going to prohibit gays from holding religious office, shouldn't they do the same for fat people?
Gluttony is also a sin, right?
Not all fat people are gluttons. Some have thyroid problems, or physical disabilities which prevent them from exercising sufficiently.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:50 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,870,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
There are other Christian denominations that permit gays and lesbians to be ordained ministers. They just don't call them priests. For instance, some Methodist Churches will ordain gays and lesbians, though the official teaching of the Methodist Church is opposed to it. But the most universal of all Christian denominations that allow it are the Metropolitan Community Churches.

Not all fat people are gluttons. Some have thyroid problems, or physical disabilities which prevent them from exercising sufficiently.
And not all gluttons are fat. Take myself for instance.. not skinny.. not fat.. I'd say more "spongy" in the mid-section.

And if I listened to Thomas Aquinas I guess I'd be considered a glutton..

1. Sometimes I eat too expensively
2. Sometimes I eat too much (culprit = pork baby back ribs)
3. Sometimes I eat too eagerly

Deep down I'm a foodie.. Guess I'll never be a preacher.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:56 PM

2,181 posts, read 3,730,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
And not all gluttons are fat. Take myself for instance.. not skinny.. not fat.. I'd say more "spongy" in the mid-section.

Boy, I wish I had your problem. Well, not that I want to be a glutton. But I wish my metabolism was high enough that I didn't have to worry about whether eating one extra cookie, or drinking a regular soda instead of diet, was going to pack on a few extra pounds.

My weakness is dark chocolate. Lately I've been feeling a bit like my evening isn't complete if I don't have my chocolate bar after dinner.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:02 PM

3,684 posts, read 8,329,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post

Ok I want to be like this with out the extra "fluff" around the middle ... teach me Master Yoda, please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity