U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 05:45 PM

19,020 posts, read 25,562,103 times

Advertisements

I signed up for offering a helping hand in funeral services. I did that coz noone was signing up for it.

When I grew up I used to shoulder one of the four sides of the coffins for seniors and other people who pass away in charity homes, with noone to take care of them. So I also signed up for I want to reconnect with my old youth which was much more pure and serving.

Now a lady called me and said my services are needed and that I show up with something like salad or dessert

Can someone please explain this to me? I didn't wanna question and offend the caller. I just said ok. I thought I would get to do the last rites of people. Enlighten me, O ye C/D angels and archangels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 06:01 PM

7,812 posts, read 10,704,138 times
June would say to contact whoever it was you "signed up" with. Find out what the parameters are...

???

Old 09-19-2009, 06:02 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,502,036 times
Many churches provide meals for the family during the time prior to the funeral and especially right after the funeral. Is this in or at a Catholic Church?

I ask because I didn't know Catholics did these meals and I know non-Catholics don't really do 'last rites'.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:05 PM

19,020 posts, read 25,562,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June would say to contact whoever it was you "signed up" with. Find out what the parameters are...

???
I should have asked her when she called. I'm just chicken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Many churches provide meals for the family during the time prior to the funeral and especially right after the funeral. Is this in or at a Catholic Church?

I ask because I didn't know Catholics did these meals and I know non-Catholics don't really do 'last rites'.
It's a catholic church in Colorado. Well, some of the catholic customs (apart from this funeral service) around here are sort of new to me, to be frank. Maybe it's an American thing.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:07 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,502,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
It's a catholic church in Colorado. Well, some of the catholic customs (apart from this funeral service) around here are sort of new to me, to be frank. Maybe it's an American thing.
I didn't realize Catholics did this but I think it's a very good thing.

Just go grab a salad mix and put it in a bowl of some sort. You'll be fine.

And thanks for your service too!

Old 09-19-2009, 06:11 PM

5,806 posts, read 4,788,776 times
Yes food is essential. Thank you for helping.
Grieving people forget to eat.
And if they remember to eat... it takes a lot of effort and energy to actually FIX something to eat.
Food is always one of the most basic, yet most needed things in caring for those dealing with the death of a loved one.
God Bless You.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:13 PM

7,812 posts, read 10,704,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

I didn't realize Catholics did this but I think it's a very good thing.
Where June grew up, it wasn't something that Catholics did or do. But then again, where June grew up was somewhat out of the traditional norm. Although June was "once upon a time" familiar with Catholic funeral services.

I guess my question would be this:

If you are offering your services in an area where there are Catholics who are of an Hispanic and/or otherwise Latin background, such that this would be a part of their culture that would be either expected, or provided, then it may well be within the "norm." As well, what is the socio-economic 'culture' of the church/community you are helping and serving? It may be that it is customary (just as it would be in Latin Catholic cultures) to provide food...

As best June can recall, however, providing food wasn't part of the funeral service/rite. It was done by and for the family, who provided it.

I would call.

I really would. Better to know, as it would help you to feel more at ease in the future....

Old 09-19-2009, 06:25 PM

13,572 posts, read 21,719,133 times
My maternal Gramma and all on thats side of my moms family are Caholics..Whenever one of them passs on the Church volunters bring wonderful food to the home of the next of kin where the family and friends gather after the funeral..We always appreciate the love and concern of the volunteers who help ease the pain of our grief just by their presence and gentle care..

Just find out where they want you to take your salad to...Because sometimes they go to the home instead of the church..
God Bless all the volunteers

Old 09-19-2009, 06:52 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,421,064 times
Quote:
I signed up for offering a helping hand in funeral services. I did that coz noone was signing up for it.

When I grew up I used to shoulder one of the four sides of the coffins for seniors and other people who pass away in charity homes, with noone to take care of them. So I also signed up for I want to reconnect with my old youth which was much more pure and serving.

Now a lady called me and said my services are needed and that I show up with something like salad or dessert

Can someone please explain this to me? I didn't wanna question and offend the caller. I just said ok. I thought I would get to do the last rites of people. Enlighten me, O ye C/D angels and archangels
...fellowship...!...

Old 09-19-2009, 08:33 PM

3,067 posts, read 3,573,009 times
Quote:
Now a lady called me and said my services are needed and that I show up with something like salad or desser

2 things pop up in my mind right away.

1st, are you old?
I mean , are you so old now that the church lady looked at your name and was just trying to find something 'safe' for you to help with?

Lets face it...lifting heavy things is a job for the young.
The youths of the family or church are the ones we older guys will call, dress up, and push to the head of that line.

And...the truth is...that once a guy turns about age 40 that they are expected to stand down and allow the younger men their shot.

OR....

You signed up on the wrong list?

You made a big fat error when you signed up and you got listed with the people that want to bring some food.

BE THAT AS IT MAY..
Bring some food...and be happy and allow God to bless you for the effort.
Trust me, when you start to help and people see you are a good helper, then you will get more and more calls to help before you know it.

So make a darn good salad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or